News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2426407 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3240 on: September 12, 2016, 02:47:01 pm »
@ Disch - You didn't miss much when it comes to St. Anger. Outside of a couple of songs that have good flow/sound to 'em (Dirty Window, Shoot Me Again) the album sounds like shit. Like, literally. Like they purposefully made the album sound shitty. Also none of the songs have solos, which is about half the reason I listen to the band.

The other album you're thinking about is called Death Magnetic, when they finally decided to go heavy again. It's not really in the same league as Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning but Kirk's still at the top of his game, and James dialed back the "Yeah YEAH-YUH" bullshit immensely compared to any of the 90's stuff. Best way to describe this one: it's like they mixed some of the elements of their earlier stuff with elements of Load, then forced Kirk to do cocaine at the recording studio.

This discussion's making me want to check if they did anything after that, because they were starting to kick ass again.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 02:56:07 pm by Bahamut ZERO »
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

tettsui77

• hyakuren no tetsu
    • View Profile
    • tettsui seventy-seven [tumblr]
« Reply #3241 on: September 12, 2016, 03:33:16 pm »
Metallica was never good yall.
鉄槌77~百錬

Lucart

• View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: September 12, 2016, 06:33:55 pm »
So I don't know how familiar you all are with Fightcade but I'm at a loss of where to start.
My main goal is to mod the ROM for King of Fighters 2003 to remove the tag system and tag attacks.
My second goal would be to edit frame data to nerf the overpowered top 4 characters.
The ROM for kof 2003 is a folder made of .bin files.
What programs should I use? will my knowledge of C++ and java be useful?
any tips would be greatly appreciated

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: September 12, 2016, 07:22:42 pm »
This thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere (except between a pay-for-a-hack request, which is forbidden, and off-topic discussion), so lock it is.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: September 12, 2016, 11:09:44 pm »
The Legend of Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

After i've been trying Killerbob's awesome Loz Relocalized hack, i've would really like a relocalization of Legend of Zelda 2 as well, making the script a bit less stilted and more natural, and once for all solve the mystery of Bug & Error which got lost in the original localization.
Thanks for the kind words. Still need some refinements though. Also, a fully relocalized manual would be something...

I'd love to do something similar for Zelda II. One of my favorite games. Unfortunately, the screen space for doing it justice isn't there. The text boxes would have to be greatly expanded, something way above my level of skill. I guess a lesser alternative would be to split up the monologues using the same small text box.

Bug and Error was most likely just a silly in-joke by the developers. There's no connection between the characters besides their goofy names. Bug gives you a letter that let you access Death Mountain, and Error let you know where to find the passage to the island temple. That's their only function.

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: September 13, 2016, 09:04:56 am »
Well what i was referring to was the mistranslation of Bug (Bagu) which made the joke fly over everyones head.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: September 13, 2016, 01:34:07 pm »
Well what i was referring to was the mistranslation of Bug (Bagu) which made the joke fly over everyones head.
like a bug indeed.

After seeing this Super Metroid Hack Project, it got me thinking on this: Since Super and Other M aren't really too far off from each other, what about a Metroid Other M demake romhack for Super Metroid, maybe with minimal story elements (Her simply finding a room with the soldiers instead of a cutscene happening where an expository banter happens, for example) and, of course, with an authorization system of sorts so you aren't OP but you also don't need to get powerups.

phantasy

• View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: September 13, 2016, 03:13:22 pm »
'Last Battle' for Sega Genesis. The Japanese version has blood and explosion sprites that really make the game cooler (blood doesn't always improve a game). I have two hack patch ideas:

1. Take the USA english version story text and match it to everything else of the Japanese version.

2. IF the Japanese version's story text is different (and likely better if so), then a new translation would be cool.

The problem with translations is one usually has to be bilingual in Japanese/English to even know if there IS a better version! :)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: September 13, 2016, 06:22:15 pm »
So I don't know how familiar you all are with Fightcade but I'm at a loss of where to start.
My main goal is to mod the ROM for King of Fighters 2003 to remove the tag system and tag attacks.
My second goal would be to edit frame data to nerf the overpowered top 4 characters.
The ROM for kof 2003 is a folder made of .bin files.
What programs should I use? will my knowledge of C++ and java be useful?
any tips would be greatly appreciated
First off before anything else, if I were you I'd wait for the newest Fightcade to eventually come out since it'll apparently be synced to the latest Final Burn Alpha version (which is most likely what you'd be using for testing I'd imagine because of patch support, from what I know doesn't Fightcade only accept certain games?)

Outside of that I don't really know that much about arcade ROMhacking, it's always been kinda psychologically unappealing to me due to how arcade emulators work and the ROMs themselves are always updated to new versions.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 06:38:47 pm by Chronosplit »

Shift

• View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: September 13, 2016, 09:42:14 pm »
One thing I've always been curious about is Rumble-compatible games on the Game Boy Player, like Pokemon Pinball and SMA4. Could the coding be modified to be used the same way as Drill Dozer uses it, sending signals in either standard or GBP mode, so that programs like VBA on the Wii could use those rumble features?

ACmod

• View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: September 14, 2016, 09:48:06 am »
I have an idea to extensively modify/balance the part stats in Armored Core Last Raven to make it more exciting and satisfying combat and better PvP.

So I'm a long-term fan of the Armored Core series and have been really entrenched/involved in the franchise for over a decade now. Often times we talk about ways to improve/balance the games. Because of the huge amount of customization in these games (they have tons of stats and parts to equip) they often have a lot of poorly balanced parts that are either not very useful or make certain mechanics easily abused.

Later PS3 era games had the ability to get publisher patches to fix these things, but the PS2 games don't have that.

The base game would be Armored Core Last Raven, or it's PSP Port, Armored Core Last Raven Portable. I would think this would be implemented as a CWCheat or Gameshark code, or an installer that would let players burn their own discs from a modified copy they own. Ideally they would be able to also implement the mod on emulators.

The entire goal here is to create a more ground-based, weighty, high-consequence style of fighting and increase variety between weapons and tactics by affecting their existing in-game stats. I already have an fairly extensive list of precise stat changes to make, but I have no coding ability to implement this "patch" to the game.

In game stats to be changed: (There are many minor changes to be made but these are the major ones)
1. Change moving/stationary drain values of leg and booster parts to reduce energy drain while ground boosting but increase energy drain in air boosting, to give it a more ground-based tactical movement (instead of "bunny hopping" as it currently is)
2. Dramatically increase the defense addition of shields, but increase their weight and usage drain.
3. Change the moving ability and weight cap of most of the leg parts to follow a more clear line from slow and defensive to light and fragile. As it currently stands, because speed is a multiple factor formula there are many "heavy" defensive legs that are faster than "fragile" light legs.
4. Change the weight and energy drain of a majority of the parts to reflect the new balance.
5. Dramatically reduce booster acceleration values, but maintain top speed levels.
6. Dramatically increase the damage and weight of larger weapons to reduce the number of shots necessary to kill other enemies. Dramatically reduce the ammo and firing rate.
7. Dramatically decrease the impact and damage of lighter weapons, but increase the ammo and firing rate, to increase weapon variety
8. Change a majority of the FCS stats to allow better lock-on pairing with weapons and increase variety in lock on speeds and lockbox sizes.

Invisible Stats to be changed:
1. Change the threshold/values for part destruction so that bladed weapons and higher impact weapons allow for faster part destruction
2. Change shot velocity (and make it a visible stat) for various weapons
3. Implement the ability to use back cannons while moving (this is currently achieved with a cheat, but only when combined with other features), and ideally disable lock on while moving (enabling lock on only while stationary)
4. Reduce the velocity of missiles and increase their mobility stat, while increasing their lock time.
5. Dramatically reduce the loss of turning speed when leg parts are broken by damage

I know a mod like this would be well received by the community and would definitely bring a lot of interest back to this franchise. The crux is that I want to take the stats/game design benefits that From Software learned from the PS3 games (including Dark Souls) and implement them into their PS2 games.

Unfortunately, this is not a PC game and I'm not sure if releasing it as a "PC mod" would be legal. The publishers (Agetec) however no longer release or support the game, so I'm not sure if it would be taken down  or not.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: September 14, 2016, 01:04:42 pm »
According to The Cutting Room Floor, the GBA version of Wolfenstien 3D does have music. The reason the music doesn't play is because BAM! Entertainment either forgot to finish the coding or they rushed the game out to stores and didn't give the programmers the time they need to finish the coding. If someone can finish the coding and get the music to work in this port, that would be great.

Another cool hack I would like to see for the GBA port of Wolfenstein 3D is someone turns the game into a GBA port of Spear of Destiny.

I would like to see a hack for Sega Classics Collection for the PlayStation 2 that would edit all the textures in all the 3D games to make them look nicer looking, because they all look very low budget and ugly looking.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 09:54:31 pm by SCD »

davidgilmour

• View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: September 14, 2016, 04:08:31 pm »
Hi,

Have played Mario64 in the 90s when it was released. I want to replay it but only the Bowser levels. They were much more fun because they were lineair.

Has there ever been a hack released with just those fun levels?

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: September 14, 2016, 04:48:50 pm »
Don't know if there's a hack of that, but if you use the "have all stars" and "have all keys" cheats in Project 64 you'll be have access to all of the courses including the bowser ones.  :beer:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: September 14, 2016, 05:11:28 pm »
According to The Cutting Room Floor, the GBA version of Wolfenstien 3D does have music. The reason the music doesn't play is because BAM! Entertainment either forgot to finish the coding or they rushed the game out to stores and didn't give the programmers the time they need to finish the coding. If someone can finish the coding and get the music to work in this port, that would be great.

I wasn't aware of that.
It would be amazing if the GBA port could be hacked to implement the proper code for the music loading.
I would certainly love to see that happen, as the GBA port is quite a good one compared to the SNES port.

davidgilmour

• View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: September 14, 2016, 06:16:56 pm »
Don't know if there's a hack of that, but if you use the "have all stars" and "have all keys" cheats in Project 64 you'll be have access to all of the courses including the bowser ones.  :beer:
Thanks, will look at that. But it would be nice to have some kind of game with the "just bowser" levels, because those are so awesome!

davidgilmour

• View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: September 14, 2016, 09:56:18 pm »
If I have the solution,I will tell you immediately!

Tell me

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: September 14, 2016, 11:19:42 pm »
You responded to a deleted spambot post.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: September 16, 2016, 03:17:06 pm »
Here's a weird idea: A hack of NES Legend of Zelda replacing Link with the Satellaview Protagonists like in the Satellaview version. Either them or the characters from Hyrule Warriors. Oh, or Midna. That would be cool.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: September 16, 2016, 11:59:48 pm »
You responded to a deleted spambot post.

Ah. So I'm not the only person who thinks it's fun. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hack idea: Fix the controls on Bart vs the Space Mutants. This is actually a really cool game but the control scheme completely destroys it.

left/right = walk
up/down = enter/exit doors/elevators
select = switch item
start = use item
A = press = jump, hold = run
A + B = high jump
B = use certain items, keypads

If I remember correctly the only way to pause the game is to switch to it just like you do the items you use.

Start should be pause. Period. Jump and run must be separated. That's just too awkward and actually makes the game way harder than it should be. Any situations where you need to run and then jump are a real pain in the ass. The controls make it feel impossible. Maybe make B jump, A run, A + B is high jump and up + B for items and in-level actions.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...