News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2533968 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3120 on: August 14, 2016, 12:14:42 pm »
I remember those two hacks that Trunaur68 made many years ago, it just that no one never made a hack that would add Crocomire into one of the rooms in Norfair and turn it into a mini boss.

I would like to see English translation hacks for Biohazard Code: Veronica Complete for the Sega Dreamcast and Goku Makai-Mura Kai (Better version of Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins) for Sony PSP.

I also would like to see hacks for the Dreamcast versions of Power Stone 1 & 2 that would add all the exclusive PSP content to them and fix the A.I. issues of Power Stone 1 as well.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:45:44 pm by SCD »

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: August 14, 2016, 08:51:23 pm »
One of my other ideas was to remake parts of the Zyuranger game to fit more of the Power Rangers era for nostalgic reasons. However, I don't know if that's even gonna be possible. I mean someone would have to make the cutscene sprites for Zordon and/or Alpha in NES pixels. Also, I think probably fix up at least the Pink Ranger's sprite to show she has a skirt on her costume at least. Just saying.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: August 15, 2016, 02:35:56 pm »
I often wonder if is possible to restore Kraid in Metroid Prime, but I never got to figure out if his data was still in the disc or not or Kraid probably only exists in a beta version somewhere out there.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: August 16, 2016, 11:28:26 pm »
I wish somebody hacked Magic Dragon which is an R-Type bootleg for NES, and overhauled it Final Fantasy VII Advent Children-style.

It would be like the R-Type game that never appeared for the Famicom, let alone the NES.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: August 18, 2016, 10:20:12 pm »
This one will maybe be my next big project after I do another playthrough or something, but an idea is still an idea.  I want to do a Final Fantasy Tactics Advance patch that sticks true to original content, but still sands down the rough edges.  No, not like my Minor Tweak Pack, that was admittedly not that great (though I might keep the Alternate Starting Party patch, that was a good idea.  Maaaaaaaaybe some of the lower default MC class patches, because admittedly I can see why you'd want to start as a White/Black/Blue Mage, Thief, or Archer).  I see a lot of really neat ideas in FFTA like new classes, but I think there's room for a more subtle approach.

Right now what I have in my head:
-Maybe use rrs_kai's Item Fix Patch as a base after I garner permission if possible, so that takes care of mission items and "secret characters."  If not, I'll deal with such in my own way closer to the original, including "restoring" weapons you could easily screw yourself out of.
-Default color mode is switched to TV because screw that.

-I want every piece of equipment to have a fitting ability attached to it, sort of like how FFIX did it.  There are a lot of items that have no abilities attached to them, and it makes many of them quite useless.  For example, Red Robe will get a Red Mage ability (but probably not something like Doublecast; it's too early for that. I'd like another Doublecast learner though since Item Fix currently has Eldena bugged).  I'd like the really powerful extremely lategame items to have rarer abilities like one aid for Ultima learning (maybe the contest trophies since you can only have one, except Sequence can't work that way due to no Ultima-learning class being able to use it), but I want to make sure you can only find one of those.  I'm not trying to be massively OP here.  Exception to this is probably Accessories because they have none and Sabers since Blue Mage has precious little abilities that are actually learnable.  I might put them all on Tulwar but that's it (putting Learning on all of them might be going a bit too far).

-Most enemy encounters are harder across the board, but for smaller reasons: equipment worn will be much closer to the tier you're probably entering the match with, and there may or may not be level scaling.  I am really not sure how to deal with early game clans though, there's probably no way around them being outclassed eventually.
-Goblins and Thundrakes never go extinct, they'll be in later missions.
-Make Paladins, Dragoons, Defenders, and White Monks able to wear clothing/hats. Was this supposed to be a nerf of some sort?  The only one that really makes sense is the Monk thing.  This change sticks out from the rest because it's altering things more than I'd really like, but I'm really bugged by it.  Plus it makes it easier for me to actually make Dark Knights out of Paladins (for the sidequest involving one).
-Laws take a more pragmatic approach: in the end I'd like to make sure that there's always one "big" law and two small laws that shouldn't be much trouble.  I also want laws to be less annoying across the board, but existing all the same.
-I'd like to find a purpose for the Nono's trade shop that doesn't require linking, but I'm not very sure how I could do that nor do I know how it works yet.  Maybe there's a way for it to add new items after clan battles or helping a territory...
-Change Cureall to Remedy?  Why is this called Cureall again, everything else in the game keeps reoccurring names almost to a fault.  Also Rucavi should be Lucavi.

Even if a big patch doesn't come out of this, I'll be doing the FFIX-style ability system at some point once I get how ability adding goes.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:25:38 am by Chronosplit »

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: August 19, 2016, 10:04:53 am »
Another idea came to mind. Remember those untranslated PC Engine CD games that are roaming around and you have a hard time understanding? Like for examples, the Sailor Moon PC Engine games, Dragonball Z: Densetsu no Goku, and I think Nadia. Well, I was thinking maybe someone could do something similar like what they did with Ys 4 or Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and try to make translations for some of the games. I mean I wouldn't mind hearing Christina Vee (Sailor Mars) or someone similar in a PC Engine dub game. But that's just me thinking.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: August 21, 2016, 01:27:44 am »
Another idea came to mind. Remember those untranslated PC Engine CD games that are roaming around and you have a hard time understanding? Like for examples, the Sailor Moon PC Engine games, Dragonball Z: Densetsu no Goku, and I think Nadia. Well, I was thinking maybe someone could do something similar like what they did with Ys 4 or Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and try to make translations for some of the games. I mean I wouldn't mind hearing Christina Vee (Sailor Mars) or someone similar in a PC Engine dub game. But that's just me thinking.

Usually this falls under translation request, but since you're talking about Dubs then yeah this would be a awesome idea. That has been sort of a road block for those old games that didn't have Text on the bottom.

The other option though is probably adding subtitles without having to replace the voices, but that depends on the author of the hack in question. I would like to see someone take care of the problem for the old Turbo-CD games "Valis" series. Those versions are pretty much superior, and have not gotten much attention.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: August 21, 2016, 09:07:10 am »
Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives Vol. 1 (Nintendo 3DS): A hack that would do this to it:

3D OutRun: Change the car back to the original Ferrari Testarossa.
3D Space Harrier: Change the stipulations where you don't have to worry about losing a continue or get hit to fight Haya-Oh.

Star Fox 64 3D (Nintendo 3DS): A hack that would replace the English voice track with the Japanese voice track. Someone should do this to the N64 version as well.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo 3DS): A hack that would decensor the game to make it more like its original uncensored N64 counterpart.

Klonoa (Nintendo Wii): A hack that would replace the English voice track with the Japanese voice track. I know there's the Phantomile language mode that uses the Japanese voice actors but in the Japanese version, it had a option where you can have all characters speak in the Japanese language.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (Nintendo Wii): A hack that would restore the missing fighter Hakushon Daimao from the original Japanese version back to this version.

Sega Ages Space Harrier (Sega Saturn): A hack that would add Haya-Oh from the 3DS port to this port.

Sega Ages OutRun (Sega Saturn): A hack that would add the two new music tracks from the 3DS port to this port.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:53:33 pm by SCD »

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: August 21, 2016, 11:05:55 am »
Change the Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World title screen logo and color scheme to that of Super Mario All-Stars.

Okay, this might be just incredibly anal on my part, but I always thought it would be cool if the title screen on the All-Stars/World version of the cart could have the logo and color scheme reverted back to the original version, as if Super Mario World had been part of the collection all along.

To be clear, what I'm asking for is a logo and color scheme hack.  Revert the logo back to Super Mario All-Stars (without +Super Mario World) and change the ugly orange-and-pink color scheme back to the more-pleasing blue of the original.

Ideal title screen:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: August 21, 2016, 11:18:38 am »
Change the Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World title screen logo and color scheme to that of Super Mario All-Stars.

Okay, this might be just incredibly anal on my part, but I always thought it would be cool if the title screen on the All-Stars/World version of the cart could have the logo and color scheme reverted back to the original version, as if Super Mario World had been part of the collection all along.

To be clear, what I'm asking for is a logo and color scheme hack.  Revert the logo back to Super Mario All-Stars (without +Super Mario World) and change the ugly orange-and-pink color scheme back to the more-pleasing blue of the original.

Ideal title screen:

A simple palette hack for the title screen might do the trick.
Try with SNES Palette Editor and bsnes to check the palettes loaded at the title screen, then simply do a search for them in SNES PalEd.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: August 22, 2016, 02:13:27 am »
Final Fantasy - Mystic Quest with classic Victory Fanfare imported.

The song that is in ALL the Final Fantasy's after beating an enemy.

August 22, 2016, 02:17:36 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I'll look into it, That does seem like something out of place.
No promises though, :angel: When it comes to SNES Roms.....I never have much luck hacking them. But if no one has looked into this yet, I will give it a shot.  :thumbsup:

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: August 22, 2016, 09:06:06 am »
The song that is in ALL the Final Fantasy's after beating an enemy.

Not XIII. But XIII is different in many ways.

RandomHeretic

• View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: August 22, 2016, 07:45:11 pm »
Comment removed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:14:20 am by RandomHeretic »

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #3133 on: August 23, 2016, 02:27:50 pm »
I dunno if this been mentioned before, but I'd love to see a Castlevania II hack that plays like Symphony of The Night.

Me_Dave

• Romhacking Psychoanalyst
    • View Profile
    • Kid Klown's KrazyNES
« Reply #3134 on: August 24, 2016, 03:56:20 am »
A hack of Ninja Crusaders for NES turned into a Ninja Gaiden like it should be. it mostly needs a decent title screen hack.   

I was playing Treasure of the Rudras and when you start the game you name 4 characters but are only allowed to play 3 of them so a hack that makes you able to play all 4 from the beginning would be nice. 

Kid Klown's KrazyNES
They saw what the 600 Member's can do, lets show them what the 54,000 can do.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: August 24, 2016, 09:57:24 am »
I haven't gotten to playing all the way through but is there a story reason for the fourth character not being available?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: August 24, 2016, 10:19:06 am »
I haven't gotten to playing all the way through but is there a story reason for the fourth character not being available?
IIRC later the 4th is the ending character, it's kind of like Dragon Quest IV where all the protags bind together.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: August 24, 2016, 07:13:39 pm »

I've gotten a bit burnt out on Super Castlevania 4, so this was a nice little break for me.

SMAS+W: original                                 SMAS+W: palette edits                        SMAS+W: tilemap edits

I wanted to put the original title graphics back in, but they changed the way the sprite OAM data was loaded to be more progmatic. If they had kept the same routine it would have been no problem, but it's just not possible without some advanced assembly hacking. So as an alternative, I simply removed the "SUPER MARIO WORLD", changed the star back to yellow, and lowered the title gfx some.

If there's no glaring flaws I'll be uploading both patches to the site later this evening.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: August 24, 2016, 07:33:01 pm »
I've gotten a bit burnt out on Super Castlevania 4, so this was a nice little break for me.

SMAS+W: original                                 SMAS+W: palette edits                        SMAS+W: tilemap edits

I wanted to put the original title graphics back in, but they changed the way the sprite OAM data was loaded to be more progmatic. If they had kept the same routine it would have been no problem, but it's just not possible without some advanced assembly hacking. So as an alternative, I simply removed the "SUPER MARIO WORLD", changed the star back to yellow, and lowered the title gfx some.

If there's no glaring flaws I'll be uploading both patches to the site later this evening.
Damnit dude, you are simply an amazing hacker. :P

My question about those are:

1) Is the middle one "Palette edits" the hacked ROM by JUST modifying the palettes and nothing else?
2) What was the main issue with the SMW title?

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: August 24, 2016, 08:59:42 pm »
You did a awesome job on changing the palettes of the title screen.