News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2521041 times)

RealGaea

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3100 on: August 09, 2016, 01:50:40 pm »
I saw Pokémon Yellow for NES translated and rebalanced.

I saw Final Fantasy VII for NEs translated and rearranged.

I saw Final fight 3, with color, names and text fixes.

Why don't make a tweak for pirated Fighting Games?

To, for example, place Goro's Fight in Goro's Lair instead of The Pit.

Or Shao Kahn Final Fight in Kahn's Arena.

Or replace the sprites of the bootleg KOF Genesis series with proper ones.

Using SNES' SFA2 sprites or GBA KOF EX2 sprites could do the magic.

Ryan914

• View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: August 09, 2016, 02:01:42 pm »
I'll assume some of the Robopon are inaccessible due to only the Sun version being localized and not its companion Star?

Yeah, it shares the same traits with Pokemon, you cannot get the others unless you trade. That is not too much of an issue compared to the internal clock and remote issue I pointed out.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: August 09, 2016, 04:31:18 pm »
President Evil: Resident Evil hack that replaces characters with famous figures from colonial times.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

nitwit13

• View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: August 10, 2016, 12:35:18 am »
I'm surprised this hasn't been done already, but could someone please make a hack for SECRET OF MANA that separates the three characters so they're not locked together?  On Seiken Densetsu 3 the characters are free to roam, and can even go off of the screen.  Especially when playing multiplayer on Secret of Mana, it gets annoying if two of you start going opposite directions chasing after a monster, but both of you get stuck because the characters are only allowed so far apart.  I imagine that the game would have to continue following the first player if the second or third player ran off the screen.  I'm not sure about the technicality of all this, but maybe that lock space could at least be expanded to allow one character off the screen a bit.

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: August 10, 2016, 08:18:37 am »
In Ys Seven (PSP), put in the attack auto-charging function that the newer games have.
Ys Seven: Hold X and your attack charges. Release for a charge attack.
Ys Celceta / Ys 8: Do not hold X and your attack charges. Once charged, press X for a charge attack. Pushing X (for a normal attack) resets the charge timer.

Any ideas about how to investigate it?
Where on PSP is the control status word (that says what buttons are being pushed)?
EDIT: I think the place to start looking would be to set your breakpoint on sceCtrlReadBufferPositive.
See this link: http://psp.jim.sh/pspsdk-doc/group__Ctrl.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:29:19 am by flame »

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: August 10, 2016, 03:57:42 pm »
I already said this in an earlier post here, the idea was to include a way to get all the battle chips without having to trade or have to bust viruses over and over again to get a specific one. Concept was a whole black market in the Undernet that could be accessed, and more kinds of chips would be more accessible as the story advanced or a special chip trader like the ones at Higsby's shop (Input 3 chips, get a random one) that dispenses Chips not normally found in the version you are playing.

I like that idea, it will keep the game balanced without compromising the difficulty.

TheLuigiLightning

• ROM hacking; it's like rearranging classical music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: August 10, 2016, 08:51:48 pm »
I want someone to hack Super Mario Galaxy 1, making it so that the 4 boss fight Daredevil Comets (Bouldergeist, Major Burrow, Kamila, and Top Maniac) make you do the entire level.  I always found it so stupid when I played the game as a kid that they only made you do the boss fight.  The only Daredevil Comet that got it right was Lava Spire Daredevil Run.  That was an awesome mission!  It might be my favourite mission in the game.  The Daredevil Comets were definitely the coolest concept in the entire game, and it's really disappointing that 4/5 only make you do a boss fight.  Especially for not letting you hear the really awesome music that goes with the comet.  I don't know about anyone else, but I absolutely love the Speedy/Daredevil Comet music.  It's the one track in the game that is not afraid to be full on intimidating, which is very bold to include in a Mario game.  Every other suspense track maintains a mostly playful feel to keep with the very lighthearted Mario atmosphere, but this track doesn't conform.  Heck, when I was a kid, the track was too scary for me!  I couldn't play a level that had that music!  (Don't worry, I got over it eventually, and grew to love it even back then).

Which brings me to a side note.  WHY THE HELL DID THEY LEAVE IT OUT OF GALAXY 2??????!!!!!  Someone please hack that in, and set it up to be in every Daredevil Comet in the game!  That would be amazing!  It's a million times better than the pathetic music they used to sorrily replace it.  It makes me so sad that they left it out of the second game...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:40:52 pm by TheLuigiLightning »
I am Luigi Lightning.  (You can just call me Luigi, though).
Some say my name is Luigi Lightning.  Others say I am a Lightning Luigi.  Some also say I am Luigi's Lightning.  Some even say I am some prodigy; The Luigi Lightning... guys, it's just a title.  You were correct the first time.

Me_Dave

• Romhacking Psychoanalyst
    • View Profile
    • Kid Klown's KrazyNES
« Reply #3107 on: August 11, 2016, 12:13:00 am »
A long time ago I had the program for Hacking Fire Emblem 6, 7, and 8 that came in a package and it allowed you to do stuff like make any Character in either game able to Steal items Automatically with no limitations, and I thought at the time that it would be great to have that same ability as a Patch.

I actually think what I had was a special Script that was included with it but when I Download the program now it doesn't seem to be in there or I don't remember how you enabled it nor do I know if that is the same program I once had. http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/609/

I lost all my computers and hard drives in a fire, so there was nothing recoverable.

However I would still like to see the feature as a Game Patch for all 3 Versions of the GBA Fire Emblems.

But I can't do anything with that program now as it doesn't seem the same and when I had gotten it originally it wasn't hosted on Romhacking.net. 
Kid Klown's KrazyNES
They saw what the 600 Member's can do, lets show them what the 54,000 can do.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: August 11, 2016, 09:43:32 pm »
Another thing, anyone can update PalMod?

I follow the method proposed here: http://wiki.standcrash.com/index.php?title=Palette_Modding But PalMod crashes.

So we can make JoJo's Venture/JoJo's Bizarre Adventure palette edits.

Imagine playing this game with the colors of the 2014 anime and colors that resemble other parts, games or animations.

Example the colors of Jotaro:
A: Stardust Crusaders 2014 Anime
B: Stone Ocean (Manga colors)
C: Diamond is Unbreakable Anime
Stand: All Star Battle Default color
Start: Original JJV/JJBA color

I'll leave this edited palette. Both DIO with colors of Heaven Ascension DIO & The World Over Heaven look awesome.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:23:42 pm by RealGaea »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: August 12, 2016, 12:59:12 pm »
2 ideas that might be interesting:

1) graphics/text hack of Darkwing Duck for NES or GB that turns it into a Batman game

1) Graphics/text hack of a Batman game to turn it into a Darkwing Duck game.

:D
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

pacnsacdave

• I make game hacks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: August 12, 2016, 03:11:39 pm »
Ninja Gaiden 1

Don't get sent back to 6-1 if you die on the last boss.

I made a hack that fixes that problem, sir. It can be found on my site. Google pacnsacdave  as I can't put the site address here.

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: August 12, 2016, 04:17:22 pm »
Oh cool.  I had kind of forgotten about that.

As long as I'm here (and someone mentioned Fire Emblem earlier), has anyone ever attempted to fix the attract mode in the three SNES Fire Emblem games?  There are English patches for all three games, but the attract modes are still garbled, as if they were never translated.  Is there some reason that was never done?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: August 12, 2016, 09:49:46 pm »
Tetris 2+Bombliss for the Famicom.
Pushing 2P Start during the game freezes the game. It was obviously designed for a Famicom with hard-wired controllers, but my friend and I found that out when we played on my AV Famicom.
I looked into a little bit, though there's almost no space left (at least in the fixed bank).
The controller code allows 2P Start to enter the pause routine, which is checking for 1P Start to exit. But if 1P Start is pushed, the game has already broken itself. There's some code that writes to blocks in the SRAM, which I'm making a wild guess is related to the P1 and P2 windows, but instead tries to write to P2 and GLITCH windows, causing it to basically write garbage to the PPU registers for the latter.
(of course probably the simpler fix would be to write a hack to do what was probably intended: ignore 2P Start.
Though checking the code reveals something I didn't know: while paused, 1P Select can be pushed to change the music mid-game)

A shame of a significant bug in what is possibly the best Famicom/NES Tetris.

Do have to wonder though if there are other Famicom-exclusives with 2P Start/Select bugs that went unknown.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: August 13, 2016, 02:11:00 pm »
For Metroid Zero Mission I have a few proposals:
  • Remove the 100% punishment of boosting enemies' attack and defense. Normally I would suggest replacing punishment for a reward, but simply removing this punishment should do it. After all the game is already hard to 100% and doing so is only unrewarding...
  • Improve the Upgrade Switching hack to remove projectiles and effects related to the upgrade. Because seeing a garbled beam after deactivating some beams right after you had shot one isn't... Nice.

And for Fusion, a simple proposal: Have all doors unlock in the last stretch of the game without having it been beaten previously. You know how you get locked out of Sectors after making it to the hub when you trigger the "go to the bridge and reroute the ship"? Well, why not disable that lockdown? Should be simple because, if I recall, having cleared the game once will make it so the lockdown never happens again.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: August 13, 2016, 02:30:24 pm »
I think the secret entrance to Sector 2 (where you originally had one of the SA-X encounters) was still available?

But then the whole matter of locking things down through the entire game is why I think Metroid Fusion went against what makes a Metroid game.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: August 13, 2016, 10:19:22 pm »
Metroid Fusion:

There is quite a number of unused enemies in Metroid Fusion, and the most interesting being the infected Scientist. Would love to see these included as a modification for it.

Metroid Prime:

Metroid Prime has a fully functional "Ripper" enemy that could be re-inserted back in, and lost narrator voice acting (Samus) during the intro.

Metroid Prime 2:

Reading tcrf, I'm not sure on it, but it's suggesting that Phlogus could be made functional again?
There is also the case of the Airthorns that cannot be normally reached, and probably could restore the scan data too.

Metroid Prime 3:

Mantha (functional enemy?)
Phase Sprite (functional enemy?)
Phazon Tentacle (functional enemy?)
Phazite Armored Trooper (I guess he could be restored, but he is too OP)

Super Metroid:

There is a enemy called Bang that is fully functional, and would be left to the modifier's taste on where to place them.

There is a enemy called Stoke, and it needs work in order for it to be fully functional, and has a designated area where it used to be placed.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:52:29 pm by Kallisto »

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #3116 on: August 14, 2016, 12:52:51 am »
I saw Pokémon Yellow for NES translated and rebalanced.

I saw Final Fantasy VII for NEs translated and rearranged.

I saw Final fight 3, with color, names and text fixes.

Why don't make a tweak for pirated Fighting Games?

To, for example, place Goro's Fight in Goro's Lair instead of The Pit.

Or Shao Kahn Final Fight in Kahn's Arena.

Or replace the sprites of the bootleg KOF Genesis series with proper ones.

I'd like to see this game fixed, too. This is one of the better MK pirate games to me.  :cookie: 

Arima

• View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: August 14, 2016, 05:53:48 am »
8/14/2016

Project Request: Super Pony Kart
Base Game: Super Mario Kart (SNES)

Background:
A long time ago, back in 2012, an Indie Project was started by a person named Hoppip.
Its primary goal was the creation of a Go-Kart Racing Game that takes place in the My Little Pony Universe of the globally-acclaimed TV Show "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic."

The Project's name is "Pony Kart."

The effort that was put into this project by Hoppip's Team is nothing short of admirable as the whole game was created from scratch.
But great misfortune struck as a plethora of bugs surfaced during its creation and Hoppip's Team had to give up on the project as the serious responsibilities of real life, such as college and work, meant that they no longer had any free time to invest towards developing "Pony Kart".
Because of these unfortunate turn of events, the project was declared dead until a new team took up the task in November 2013.
They picked up where Hoppip's Team left off and made some considerable progress in improving and refining the Game into a playable Beta.
But sadly, this effort to breathe new life into "Pony Kart" appears to have been short lived as the new team went silent on August 2014.
Once again, real life had called to them with more important matters such as school and work.
And "Pony Kart" was effectively dead, or put on "Indefinite Hiatus", for a second time.

I looked at the troubled history behind this dream and I can't help but ask myself "Why did Pony Kart fail two times already?"
Why is it failing to get the Interest and Support it desperately needs to become reality?

And I've come to my own conclusion that "Pony Kart is simply too Ambitious".

I honestly don't know how much work is required to make "Pony Kart" into a complete product but I can safely say that the workload is simply too much for anyone to handle without all of the help they can get from anybody that is willing to take part in the project.
And knowing this makes you realize that developing a game from scratch really is a very difficult task for those that have some knowledge in writing C++ Code.

But even though "Pony Kart" has failed two times already, it is not a dream that is doomed to never see the light of day.
I still believe in the possibility of being able to play a Go-Kart Racing Game with MLP Characters.
And I believe that the easiest solution is to create a Graphics Hack for Super Mario Kart that replaces all of the Mario-verse Characters with MLP-verse Characters.
And with the recent (and coincidental!) showing of the Season 6 Episode "The Cart before the Ponies", there is certain to be a spark of renewed interest for this idea.

So with all of that said, I humbly ask you this:

"Is this still a dream worth working for?"
"Is this still a dream worth realizing?"
"Even after four years of poor luck?"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 05:58:58 am by Arima »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: August 14, 2016, 09:26:31 am »
I would like to see a color hack for the SVC Chaos MAME ROMs that would change the yellow stripe on Sagat's shorts to red to make him look more like his Street Fighter II appearance:

I also would like to see a hack for Metroid Zero Mission that would restore the unused Crocomire enemy back to the game as a actual mini boss in Norfair as well.

I also would like to see a hack for Super Mario Kart that would restore the original Japanese victory poses for Bowser and Peach and make Special Cup be available in 50cc as well.

I also would like to see a uncensored hacks for the Sega Saturn version of Resident Evil, the Sega CD version of Snatcher and Pokemon Crystal as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:47:36 am by SCD »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: August 14, 2016, 11:23:30 am »
I'm pretty sure the Crocomire one has been done already actually.  A long while ago too if I remember right.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/333/
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'