News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2706929 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2620 on: March 04, 2016, 01:24:55 pm »
That all depends if there's enough VRAM room capable of loading another sprite for blood.  Then there's the whole bit of animation and what not.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: March 04, 2016, 07:03:55 pm »
Change the "defeated" animation into a splatter of gore?

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: March 04, 2016, 07:29:48 pm »
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:24:26 pm by Seeeeph »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: March 05, 2016, 12:06:02 am »
The palette change shouldn't be a problem at all, that'd work actually.  Graphical wise, there could be a split routine that recolors the blood to 'oil' on machines.  Be the easiest and best bet, as long as the graphics can look properly like a splotch of blood or something.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: March 05, 2016, 05:40:42 pm »
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:23:57 pm by Seeeeph »

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #2625 on: March 06, 2016, 12:22:52 am »
I'm taking a shot in the dark over here, but how about throwing the River City Random characters in Double Dragon? :D

Tele-Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: March 09, 2016, 02:09:27 am »
A (hopefully) simple one:

Cony's Street Fighter II Pro is a relatively faithful 8-bit adaptation of Street Fighter II. However, the control inputs are all sorts of weird. How difficult would it be to modify controller inputs to take traditional Street Fighter 2 commands?

I.E.. make Hadoken down-forward+Punch instead of back back forward punch.

I feel like this game would be the greatest baseline for making the ultimate NES SF2 happen with just some minor tweaks.

A second idea would be to remake the music to be more faithful. Something like this Famitracker clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKB6SZ5cGy0

I'm only any good at palette-hacking personally. never touched music engines or controller inputs before.

CourtlyHades296

• View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: March 09, 2016, 02:43:32 pm »
Kaizo Final Fantasy VI. Sort of like Kaizo Mario World, but for Final Fantasy VI while keeping the entire plot intact. Ultima is debuffed severely by making all bosses and many enemies immune to it. Nightshade Rage now uses Pep Up 100%. The same Magicite restrictions as Brave New World. Saving Shadow is impossible. Evade glitch and other useful glitches are gone. and MUCH more.

Fredde

• View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: March 10, 2016, 02:07:21 pm »
This isn't a particular hack per se, but I wish there was a "card editor" tool for SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighters Clash, allowing you to change the names and art, and maybe even stats, on the cards in the game. It'd be neat to be able to create your own "version" of the game with perhaps cards from different franchises, and so on.

Though to be perfectly honest, it's mostly because I want to be able to change the M. Bison card so that it has a picture of Raúl Juliá, and the name of his special skill to be "It Was Tuesday". And perhaps a Guile card with Jean-Claude Van Damme and the special skill "You've Lost Your Balls".

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: March 10, 2016, 06:27:04 pm »
Though to be perfectly honest, it's mostly because I want to be able to change the M. Bison card so that it has a picture of Raúl Juliá, and the name of his special skill to be "It Was Tuesday". And perhaps a Guile card with Jean-Claude Van Damme and the special skill "You've Lost Your Balls".

ahahaha That's great. :)
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: March 14, 2016, 02:22:43 am »
I would love to see someone completely recolor both Golden Sun games.  The original games are WAY too saturated.

Best seen in the opening of the game, when Issac wakes up AT NIGHT, and the inside of the house looks like it's lit by radiation.

VBA's color toggle does an acceptable job, but it also makes the whole game look kind of drab.  I'd love to see someone fix this game's colors once and for all.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: March 14, 2016, 04:02:20 am »
Trying to think if we have seen GBA recolour hacks for games that were not remakes/ports of SNES games (SNES and GBA used the same palette format, or at least it was easy enough to convert).
That said there are plenty of GBA games with suspect palette choices, especially if they played to the original GBA screen.

I did just skip around 3 hour video of it and most does seem to have the saturation and/or brightness pumped up, possibly for said original GBA screen, so hopefully it can be reversed there (thinking someone might have made for PC and then ran a universal filter just before final compile) rather than doing a full recolour.

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: March 14, 2016, 04:37:44 am »
It should be easy to locate the palettes. Each color is 15 bits so that's 1 word per color. They will naturally be arranged in order.
A good slave does not realize he is one; the best slave will not accept that he has become one.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: March 14, 2016, 05:14:35 am »
The GBA made a fair amount of use of dynamic palettes and palette driven animation. It is definitely still worth searching for things as found in palette memory rather than diving into assembly right away if you are hacking a GBA palette but there are quite a few stumbling blocks for that method these days, and still all the old ones like shared and limited palettes.

Golden Sun was something of a programmer showing off piece (read up on some of the things done for audio) too, though without checking (open up the palette and OAM and VRAM viewers in VBA or something and click live update and you will see very quickly for a given scene) I am not sure what goes for the graphics.

I should also have said that Golden Sun has a fairly invested hacking community that has made some good tools that might allow you to edit palettes more simply. A guy named Atrius is good to search for as he did some stuff there I had previously only seen in PC games -- scans and content fingerprinting/detection rather than the hardcoded pointer stuff we tend to see in other game specific endeavours.

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: March 14, 2016, 08:07:47 am »
Also had two hacks that might be pretty easy, if I knew how to do them.  Both are Super Gameboy.

1. Silent Pauline in Super Gameboy Donkey Kong when played on Retron 5
Always loved the Super Gameboy color mode, but Pauline's 16-bit screams are silent when the game is played in emulation.  I was wondering if it was possible to restore her 8-bit screams when playing on an emulation platform like Retron 5.

2. Space Invaders Select Mode
Again, due to lack of SNES hardware, this screen serves on purpose in emulation or on Retron 5.  Seems like it would be an easy hack to skip this screen and go right into Super Gameboy mode.  Anyone know how to do it?

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: March 16, 2016, 05:26:17 pm »
Make any Adventures of Lolo game to have more than one level music track, maybe injecting the music from two Lolo games to use all three in one game.

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: March 16, 2016, 10:25:24 pm »
Noticed there are a couple of existing hacks for the GBC Konami Collection titles, separating out the Castlevania into their own standalone officially-colourized games.

Would be nice to see the same treatment for at least the Gradius/Nemesis games in these sets (if not the other games as well, maybe Parodius, Motocross Mania, Quarth... any of the games that were released as B&W GB standalones, really)

Similarly, Pac-Attack was released for the original GB and then later included, in colour, in "Pac-Man Special Colour Edition" for the GBC alongside a colourized version of GB Pac-Man.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:46:07 pm by TRIFORCE89 »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: March 17, 2016, 11:32:13 am »
Noticed there are a couple of existing hacks for the GBC Konami Collection titles, separating out the Castlevania into their own standalone officially-colourized games.

Would be nice to see the same treatment for at least the Gradius/Nemesis games in these sets (if not the other games as well, maybe Parodius, Motocross Mania, Quarth... any of the games that were released as B&W GB standalones, really)

Similarly, Pac-Attack was released for the original GB and then later included, in colour, in "Pac-Man Special Colour Edition" for the GBC alongside a colourized version of GB Pac-Man.
There is a topic somewhere in this forum about changing what game to boot.
Basically you just change one byte in the ROM's HEX and it switches which game to boot.

Here's the topic:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=19999.0

He mentions later how to autoboot some other games, that can give you the idea of how to make each one auto-bootable.

Dantk

• View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: March 18, 2016, 01:24:19 am »
I'm taking a shot in the dark over here, but how about throwing the River City Random characters in Double Dragon? :D
It's already been done in Double Dragon - RCR Edition.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #2639 on: March 18, 2016, 02:14:38 am »
Sonic Advance 2, do something about the Sky Canyon boss one-hit KOs.
It makes no sense for a foe in the middle of a handheld spinoff to have an attack worthy of a core game's final encounter.