News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2602523 times)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2600 on: February 19, 2016, 05:19:21 pm »
The GBC Pokemon Trading Card Game might be worth a look. It has a bunch of lower-case letters it never uses.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: February 19, 2016, 07:53:12 pm »
An idea for Castlevania games for GBA: a palette hack that lowers their brightness. It might be simple to do, I'll look into tools and see if there is a way to export palette or something, then to darken it and later inject in the ROM....

Shift

• View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: February 19, 2016, 10:04:55 pm »
The DIY is strong with this community.

I'm not confident that you will know what it stands for, so I will spell it out for you: Do It Yourself.
Not that I wouldn't like to, but as I said, I haven't had much luck using APE to find the sprites I need or change them. Though you may have a lot of experience with these things, I confess I do not. The purpose of this thread is to offer ideas, so I thought I would do just that. If you do happen to know of resources that could help me work on a sprite changing project myself, I'd certainly be grateful if you could point me in their general direction.

ShortRound

• View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: February 20, 2016, 02:39:48 am »
I would love to see a co-op hack for Final Fantasy I and II for NES, like this one for III. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1797/
My brother and I played this hack after playing through the other co-op FF games, and we had a blast.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: February 20, 2016, 04:58:11 am »
Personally I'm a bit busy so I won't be making those hacks anytime soon, although they are simpler than most hacks people make. 3 had that character swap mechanic inbuilt which made it really easy design-wise to add coop. Also, I think those older games are a bit boring, and if there was a coop it might not be as fun as with 3 (especially with 2, which is uncomfortable to play even alone). I added a slightly less comfortable overworld swap mechanic to FF5, but you might have played the base game in coop already. There are some SNES and PS1 games that I think would be better fit for a coop hack, and when I have time I'll probably look at them instead of adding that to 1.

Ss4gogeta0

• View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: February 20, 2016, 06:50:18 am »
Im posting one of my Ideas that I actually am willing to start working on (After I finish my GTA SA Beta PS2 mod)

The Dragonball Evolution PSP game despite being based on a shit movie, actually has a halfway coherent fighting system. I figure it could have the basic models/audio/animations switched with that of previous DBZ fighting games and be modified into a bit of a Dragon Ball Z Dream Match type of game.

I personally am not good with modelling or coding but I can work with audio somewhat (look up my GTA VC 10th Anniversary XBOX Mod on GTAForums/AssemblerGames)

:thumbsup: Im going to try swapping the battle music with that of the DBZ Budokai Soundtrack at one point

SpRoUt

• View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: February 22, 2016, 06:36:33 pm »
Love quest snes and ganbare  goemon 2 translations.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2607 on: February 24, 2016, 05:17:44 pm »
Ristar in Sonic 1/2/3 & Knuckles
-Insert Ristar into the game with all his abilities intact. Holding C lets him charge up while standing still, then shoot away when it's released like if you've spinned around a pole in his games.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

inceptionsucks

• View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: February 26, 2016, 12:32:32 pm »
The Dragonball Evolution PSP game despite being based on a shit movie, actually has a halfway coherent fighting system. I figure it could have the basic models/audio/animations switched with that of previous DBZ fighting games and be modified into a bit of a Dragon Ball Z Dream Match type of game.
 :thumbsup: Im going to try swapping the battle music with that of the DBZ Budokai Soundtrack at one point

That is a great idea. I completely forgot about this game since it's DBE but it was still a Budokai game so it was good enough.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: February 27, 2016, 10:35:53 am »
Some more hacking ideas. AND THESE ARE ALSO IMPORTANT FOR ME:

20. A good, easy-to-use, and complete music and sound editor for Game Boy Advance. I realized by now that Bregalad's GBAMusRipper and The Helmeted Rodent's Sappy 2003 does that, but it's only centered around the Sappy engine only. (Also, they're not updated that often.) So I was thinking that somebody could actually an accurate, for-beginners music & sound editor, like Goplat's EBMused (which makes custom songs using the EarthBound sound engine for special EarthBound ROM hacks) that works for all GBA games, not just the ones that use the Sappy engine.

21. If it's possible, I hope the editor also has an ability to edit music from the Classic NES Series, ,
the Mother 1 portion of Mother 1+2 (Bregalad said so many times that this is impossible to edit) ,
and other emulated NES games that were made for the Game Boy Advance. For me, this is something can't be ignored.

No more until I come up with new ideas.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:48:06 am by John Enigma »

aml435

• View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: February 27, 2016, 11:26:13 am »
A couple of ideas that I've always thought would be amazing (with no idea if they are doable):

2 Player simultaneous mode for Double Dragon 1 on the NES.
Not sure if hacking Double Dragon 2 to look like Double Dragon 1 might be the easier way to do this.

Donkey Kong 94 fully colorized, like Metroid 2 or Super Mario Land's color hacks.

This one has already been mentioned multiple times, I'm sure, but either Super Mario Bros 2, the All Stars version of 2, or Super Mario Advance converted back into Doki Doki Panic.

We already have a hack of Super Mario Advance 4 that restores all the E-Reader levels. The one thing missing is patches to enable all the switch cards, such as adding Mario 2 vegetables, bosses being harder to kill, etc.

Not sure if this is possible, but I always thought it would be cool to replace the second mushroom in each Super Mario 2/All Stars 2/Advance level with a fire flower, so fireballs were available in SMB 2.

Another is the idea of adding the NES exclusive levels from the TMNT arcade game back into the arcade version and/or the SNES exclusive levels back into the Turtles in Time arcade game.

Adding the oft rumored Sheng Long to a version of Street Fighter 2 (preferably a version of SSF2 Turbo).

Make Goro, Shang Tsung, and Reptile playable in Mortal Kombat 1 (arcade or Genesis).

Make the hidden characters & bosses playable in Mortal Kombat 2 and maybe even Sonya and Kano (arcade or SNES).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:39:19 am by aml435 »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: February 28, 2016, 04:26:04 pm »
Some more hacking ideas. AND THESE ARE ALSO IMPORTANT FOR ME:

20. A good, easy-to-use, and complete music and sound editor for Game Boy Advance. I realized by now that Bregalad's GBAMusRipper and The Helmeted Rodent's Sappy 2003 does that, but it's only centered around the Sappy engine only. (Also, they're not updated that often.) So I was thinking that somebody could actually an accurate, for-beginners music & sound editor, like Goplat's EBMused (which makes custom songs using the EarthBound sound engine for special EarthBound ROM hacks) that works for all GBA games, not just the ones that use the Sappy engine.

21. If it's possible, I hope the editor also has an ability to edit music from the Classic NES Series, ,

the Mother 1 portion of Mother 1+2 (Bregalad said so many times that this is impossible to edit)
and other emulated NES games that were made for the Game Boy Advance. For me, this is something can't be ignored.

No more until I come up with new ideas.

For 20 the only system with any volume of games I would sooner attempt the task for would be the DS, mainly due to the lack of variation of work needed and knowing full well the DSE audio format looms large over such a statement, the GBA had enough sound formats floating around that making a universal editor of any usefulness would be a serious undertaking. I could see having a more complete/function ripping and injection program happening, possibly by slapping VGMtrans a bit, but a universal GBA music editor (even ignoring the next part) that any music maker can use would be something.
Question for those more familiar with sappy engine. The DS saw various decoders excluded by either the compiler or something else if the game did not use them (typically wave decoding if the game only used sequenced music, there are ways around it though -- https://gbatemp.net/threads/telling-the-game-to-play-a-strm-instead-of-sseq.340692/#post-4511267 ), was there anything like that for the GBA which might trouble such an editor?

21. Why do you possibly want to edit the classic NES/famicom mini series? If you are stuck on a GBA then pocketnes and HVCA offer far superior experiences, give or take some tile fiddling issues (GBA res is less than NES res so scaling and tile cropping happens, pocketnes and HVCA having different approaches and various hackers also wading in with tile hack to accommodate things) and from there you can use normal NES editing approaches. If you have any kind of modern device then NES emulation is probably trivial on it.
Also I doubt Bregalad said it was impossible, probably just that it was not worth the effort, and I would be inclined to agree with how bad I hear the mother 1 "port" is for the GBA.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: February 28, 2016, 10:42:06 pm »
So, I was thinking... What if someone hacked the Castlevania or Simon's Quest to be based on Harmony of Dissonance's story, maps and bosses, while staying true to the Classicvania? Two additions for it would be the Bible subweapon and the Fist subweapon.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: February 28, 2016, 10:44:51 pm »
So, I was thinking... What if someone hacked the Castlevania or Simon's Quest to be based on Harmony of Dissonance's story, maps and bosses, while staying true to the Classicvania? Two additions for it would be the Bible subweapon and the Fist subweapon.

Would probably be easier to turn HoD into a Classicvania than to write the mountain of code that would be necessary for what you have laid out here.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: February 28, 2016, 11:00:20 pm »
Would probably be easier to turn HoD into a Classicvania than to write the mountain of code that would be necessary for what you have laid out here.
Actually... I think HoD to Classic would be harder. Consider the number of major hacks for HoD and for ClassicVania.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: February 28, 2016, 11:09:06 pm »
Actually... I think HoD to Classic would be harder.

But all of the stuff like enemy behaviour would have to be coded from scratch. The graphics capabilities of the NES are also so different that someone would pretty much be drawing those from scratch too. Actually, pretty much anything from HoD that would be placed into Simon's Quest would have to be made from scratch.

Consider the number of major hacks for HoD and for ClassicVania.

That's just because the NES games already have existing editors. It has nothing to do with which one would be more difficult to hack.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: February 29, 2016, 06:29:02 pm »
Is there a way to apply custom Super Gameboy borders to existing Gameboy games?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 07:56:43 am by Animation Guru »

deathwrench

• View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: March 03, 2016, 02:58:26 am »
"A romhack for n64 masterquest to flip the entire game and take 2x damage just like the 3ds version."

Can anyone make this happen? Or tell me what I'd need to do to make this happen?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: March 04, 2016, 06:31:23 am »
How about someone go ahead and put the completed translations of Giftpia and Captain Rainbow to use and actually make patches?

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: March 04, 2016, 09:38:39 am »
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:25:06 pm by Seeeeph »