News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2602556 times)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2580 on: February 11, 2016, 03:01:59 am »
^I like the ideas for 3 and 4, except maybe for the stagger part.

My ideas for an X-Men 2: Clone Wars (MD) improvement/rebalanced hack:
-Change the loose camera so that it keeps the player character closer to the center whenever possible and so that player control over its horizontal movement is more consistent (currently it sometimes won't do anything when looking in one direction but will adjust itself when looking in the other direction)
-Make looking up as fast as looking down and make both moves trigger slightly faster. Plent of vertical segments in this game.
-Make enemies unable to shoot from off screen or be hit while off screen
-Make all regular enemies not do damage from you simply touching them when they're idle, but still cause knockback, like in Shinobi. The game already does a similar thing with some enemies (the humans in the jungle) by letting you walk through them when they're not attacking.
-Change the character select cheat feature so that it's always activated, doesn't restart the level when used and doesn't increase your health if you're below 7 HP. Then you can use characters' strengths when needed and not have to die or restart the sub level.
-Make Psylocke's special attack hit further around her when she's at 8+ health and make it as fast as a normal attack when she's standing still. It should also activate faster when used in a forward leap to be more useful in the rising acid segment for example. Why? Because she kind of sucks compared to Wolverine or Nightcrawler.
-Fix standing attack combos (Gambit, Psylocke, Wolverine) so that the combo doesn't happen if you press the buttons too fast (mashing the button does work against some bosses like the transforming alien already so it's not consistent) and so that the timing is a bit more forgiving than it currently is against regular enemies. It's pointless to try to attack most enemies with these moves because the second punch doesn't hit unless you wait a bit to get the timing exactly right, and it's not really worth trying most of the time.
-Make Nightcrawler's bounce kick harder to repeat or remove the bounce, and add a punch move for when he's crawling upside down on the ceiling using his wall crawling punch animation.
-Make it possible to charge Cyclops's and Gambit's shot attacks while walking, standing and crouching and make it possible to look up and down while charging. This should make them more fun to play as and balance out not being able to shoot enemies that are off screen.
-For the above not to interfere with targeting, make the X, Y or Z button let you stand still and charge/target
-Make Beast's and Psylocke's dash moves cancel-able and have less movement delay after use.
-Make Gambit's crouch attack as fast as his upward standing attack. Dealing with enemies like the medium sized bugs later on is currently a pain.
-Implement Magneto's movement in mid-air (there's a code on gamehacking.org but it doesn't work in Regen) and make him walk slightly faster. Magneto isn't very useful currently except for a couple of cheese tactics against bosses.
-Make all characters start with 8 HP at the beginning and after losing a life. Perhaps for an easy mode, but the game flows much better when you have stronger attacks partly due to problems mentioned above.
-Make the first part of the Aztec temple level one floor shorter and make the rocks fall slightly slower. This part is long, repetitive and kind of cheap unless you're using someone with a ranged attack.
-Fix the minotaur's hit detection and make it able to attack Magneto when he's in mid-air. It could still bump the player away when he/she's hitting it at the wrong time but currently it gives an unpolished feel to the game when you can't attack for no apparent reason.
-Make the level 4 boss fight (Apocalypse) shorter. The first phase is very drawn out and he takes many hits to kill, so having to refight him is tedious.
-Make turrets in the level 5 jungle destructible or much more noticeable, and make it obvious that you're taking damage from the green liquid here by having the character sprite blink when HP is lost.
-The tall yellow alien soldier (Cameron Hodge?) mini-boss needs to be faster to be a threat
-Make the phalanx elevator segment a bit shorter but with more of an escalation/hightened intensity before the boss, and make the boss itself (Deathbird?) a bit tougher
-Make the yellow flying flamethrower robot take one hit less to kill and the larger scorpion/fly hybrid take two hits less to kill when you're not fully powered (ie below 8 HP). These are pretty easy enemies, especially with Cyclops, so there's no good reason for them to take so long to kill.
-Make the alien lair a bit shorter or at least place a checkpoint halfway since this place kills the pacing of the game. Also replace some of the medium sized bugs with the ones in the final area so that you can't cheese the level as much with Nightcrawler.
-Make all the clones able to use special attacks and jump occasionally. Make their ball forms solid so you can't just stand inside them when they attack.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:33:13 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: February 11, 2016, 09:38:18 am »
Isn't it more a matter of rebalancing the boosts you get from junctions, and how easy it is to resupply your magic stock? It's more realistic to request stuff like that I think.

My point is more that it's super counter productive to actually use the better spells you get because doing so will lower your stats, sometimes significantly.  Maybe the better fix would be a flat bonus to the spells when they're equipped rather than having the bonuses scale with the number of spells you have.  Then you could tweak the accessibility of spells to make it so the better ones are harder to get.

Basically, I'd just like to not have to sit there and draw magic all the time just to get to the stat boosts that will inevitably come from the 100 stock.

Still, actual equipment would be far superior IMHO.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: February 11, 2016, 08:46:22 pm »
Junctioning to cards (or non-consumables) instead might be an interesting hack (but would require some designing). Or reducing the max spell stock to 9.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: February 11, 2016, 10:26:59 pm »
Junctioning to cards (or non-consumables) instead might be an interesting hack (but would require some designing). Or reducing the max spell stock to 9.

Actually, now that you mention that, I think that could be a much more interesting junctioning system.  Using all the hordes of random non-consumable items that drop from enemies throughout the game in place of magic for junctions would both A. free up magic to actually be used and B. put all those items in your inventory to actual use.

I don't know how much memory is taken up by the magic-junction scaling, but I imagine a flat bonus for each individual item would take up less space?  I could be wrong on that of course.

Regardless, this would probably make the game a bit more interesting to play.  Even afterwards though, this game still has a plethora of bad design decisions that I don't think can get fixed (I really despise the way scaling works).

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2584 on: February 12, 2016, 04:06:19 am »
That sounds interesting, but you use cards and other stuff to refine into magic since that's much more efficient than drawing or draw points overall.
If you use cards then I think the card battle system should be made faster to load (both boot-up and the "thinking" cpu) and more forgiving in terms of when special cards come up, and the rules as well... I disliked the changing rules thing. You could also be able to sell cards.

Without a redesign like that (maybe regardless), the draw system needs to be sped up (a fully stocked character could transfer his stock to someone else in-battle while continuing to draw for example) and most draw points buffed while refining is rebalanced.

Edit:
It was cool to see some hacking being done recently for Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA). I still consider it the best of the GBA games.
What I'd like to see in a more extensive hack:
-The ability to look down
-More opportunities for sequence breaking
-Higher overall drop rates for the cards
-Rebalanced card combo effectivity against the various bosses and enemies
-Buffed sub weapons a bit
-A bit more horizontal range to your jumps
-A couple of teleporters or more shortcuts and
-Unnecessary points of no return like the shortcut rooms where you can only slide one way removed
-Enemies' ability to shoot from off screen removed
-Faster block pushing
-A shop
-A save point near the battle arena
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:33:23 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: February 12, 2016, 07:06:21 pm »
That sounds interesting, but you use cards and other stuff to refine into magic since that's much more efficient than drawing or draw points overall.
If you use cards then I think the card battle system should be made faster to load (both boot-up and the "thinking" cpu) and more forgiving in terms of when special cards come up, and the rules as well... I disliked the changing rules thing. You could also be able to sell cards.

Without a redesign like that (maybe regardless), the draw system needs to be sped up (a fully stocked character could transfer his stock to someone else in-battle while continuing to draw for example) and most draw points buffed while refining is rebalanced.

I could get behind that as long as cards were slightly more available outside of playing Triple Triad.  As it stand right now, you really only need to play cards if you want to low-level game.  If you went with card junctioning (or some kind of junctioning related to cards), finding the balance of rare placement would probably be important.  Like, having some available through playing TT and some available outside the game.

And you are not the only one who hated those rules changing without telling anyone.  I didn't even know Trabia had rules until everyone decided we were now playing with all these douche rules that no one in-game adequately explained.

deathwrench

• View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: February 13, 2016, 03:08:06 pm »
A romhack for n64 masterquest to flip the entire game and take 2x damage just like the 3ds version.

There's three ways to do this but I could just be spewing nonsense cause I really have no idea what I'm talking about.
flip the screen and make links health 1.5 and all heart containers only add 0.5 hearts.
or flip the screen and make the modifier for the amount of damage link takes higher.
or flip all the maps + everything else and make the modifier for the amount of damage link takes higher.

There was a gecko code that flipped the map and everything else in twilight princess for the wii. (without backwards text)
I don't care about backwards text anyways just wanted to see if it could be done.

ryancloudcv2

• View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: February 15, 2016, 07:16:12 pm »
I was wondering is someone in the rom hacking community could hack Mike Tysons Punch Out!!. The hack would have changed character models (Sprites) to match the ones in the video link posted here.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOOEnsT98po. Thanks! P.S I would like for the models to be based on the contender models, not the title defense.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: February 15, 2016, 08:22:57 pm »
You can do 80-90% of it with a tile editor...it will just take a long time (lots of tiles to edit).

Limitations... most of the body tiles are borrowed between 2 different characters. Glass Joe/Don Flamenco. Piston Honda/Mike Tyson. Etc. I think only Hippo has unique tiles.

Color palette changes are also a piece of cake.

Most of this is low level stuff. Totally doable.

February 17, 2016, 12:39:27 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Oh, I see, this isn't a "Help me do this thing for myself" thread... but rather a " Someone else do 40+ hours of work for me for free" thread. Typical.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:40:03 pm by dougeff »
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: February 15, 2016, 09:06:54 pm »
OK, I promise this will be my last FF8 suggestion, but after finishing my stat maxing game and (very cheaply) finishing off Omega Weapon, a sudden idea occurred to me:

A really great way to make this game more enjoyable would be to just overhaul the entire script so that it's actually just one giant MST3K-esque riff on the game itself.  I think the game could play so much more entertainingly this way--instantly the awful plot points/holes and complete lack of world-building would become a strength rather than a weakness!  Plus this would probably be a ton easier than all those other hacks I suggested earlier.

Now I'm officially done with FF8, I swear.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: February 16, 2016, 09:12:36 am »
What you're suggesting there sounds like a spoof hack. I've never been a fan of those because they're a dime a dozen and most of them seem to be "Let's leave 99% of the script the same except with shoehorned references to excrement and profanity", i.e. you just know they were made by 15-year-olds to whom the word "fuck" is still the most hilarious thing ever. But who knows, maybe someone who's legitimately talented could make something special out of it.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: February 16, 2016, 12:05:30 pm »
What you're suggesting there sounds like a spoof hack. I've never been a fan of those because they're a dime a dozen and most of them seem to be "Let's leave 99% of the script the same except with shoehorned references to excrement and profanity", i.e. you just know they were made by 15-year-olds to whom the word "fuck" is still the most hilarious thing ever. But who knows, maybe someone who's legitimately talented could make something special out of it.

I think we're in total agreement about those types of hacks--I'm not a big fan of them myself either.

I was thinking more along the lines of observational humor about how bad the writing/setting/scenarios are in FF8.  Think sarcastic comments about the impracticality of gunblades, wondering what ever happened to old Hyne (since he's apparently super important to the plot, but only ever mentioned ~2 times), or trying to figure out what the actual point of time compression is.  Mostly just sarcastic comments throughout the game--I actually think keeping the bad plot would become a strength for the writing.  And I think it can totally be done with pretty much zero swearing (although I think situationally it could be funny).

Obviously this would take a bit of work, but there's more bad in this game to make fun of than in "Manos: The Hands of Fate".  I don't say that lightly.

therealklowdey

• View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: February 16, 2016, 01:29:59 pm »
I've been trying for a long time to get "The Adventures of Lomax" level spritesheets, so I can make an animated Lomax M.U.G.E.N stage. The sprites in this game are some of the highest quality you're likely to find. I've tried v-ram tools, but had trouble with the palettes. Can any one help?

Shift

• View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: February 17, 2016, 09:18:37 pm »
First time poster here, and there's a project I've had on my mind for a while for Mario Advance 2. I like Luigi's sprites from Mario All-Stars' version of World a lot more than his sprites in the GBA version, so I thought it'd be cool to do a switch. I tried doing it myself with APE, but all I could do was look at the sprite sheets for the SNES game, and I couldn't find Luigi's sprites anywhere. I also don't know how it would work with his flutter jump in the GBA game. I suppose it would also be interesting to have Luigi's GBA sprites in the SNES game, but that's less of a priority for me. I did save some sprites for reference (left/right are GBA/SNES sprites, top/bottom colors are the SNES/GBA palettes):

Spoiler:

On another note, has there ever been a hack to change Yoshi's arms to green on the SNES / orange on the GBA?

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: February 18, 2016, 01:36:53 am »
I tried doing it myself with APE, but all I could do was look at the sprite sheets for the SNES game, and I couldn't find Luigi's sprites anywhere.
That's because Luigi's sprites in the SNES version were made for Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World. The original Super Mario World had Luigi as a straight palette swap of Mario.

Also, I actually made an unreleased SMA2 hack that's changes Luigi's sprites to those from SMAS+SMW. For the bonus game's "lose" sprites, I simply gave Luigi a "shock" face to go with SMAS+SMW giving him distinct poses. I don't have them in the computer I'm on at the moment.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: February 18, 2016, 01:44:10 pm »
Here are some more hack ideas, and this time is for Mother 1+2 and Mother 3:

*Mother series (for GBA)*

15. A complete restoration overhaul of Mother 2 (from Mother 1+2) that restores the music and sounds (because the music sounds out of place compared to its original SFC/SNES version, and is something that CAN NOT be ignored), and the palette colors (because it looks to brightened, just like the majority of GBA games that were released before the GBA SP), although @ShadowOne333 will soon be working on restoring the colors of Mother 2 to its original version. Not only this, but I also want some of the changes that were made on the GBA port to be restored. Which changes? Well not that much, but someting like this:

"1) In Burglin Park, a person talks about flies landing on the food and making it tastier. The text here was altered slightly in the GBA version to make the flies' landing seem unintentional.

2) Almost every scene has scrolling effects due to the Game Boy Advance's screen size."

16. To this day, I don't know if it's possible, but I also want the music and sounds of Mother 1 (for GBA) restored to their original version, the same situation as Mother 2. It doesn't sound the same as the FC/NES version.

17. I know this may look insignificant, but every time a person goes to the game select menu of Mother 1+2 and selects a game, you can't go back to the menu (to select another game) or let alone to the start. So I thought someone could do some ASM hacking just so every time you select either Mother 1 or Mother 2 in-game, you would press the B button, to go back to the game select menu and select the other game, and vice versa.

18. I don't know if it's also virtually possible, but I want someone to expand the ROM size limit of Mother 3 to maximum size level of a normal GBA game. I say this, because from the looks of it, Mother 3 seems like an unhackable game thanks to the size of the translation made by Mato. If this could be expanded, many people would try to port their EarthBound hacks to Mother 3. But I still don't know if it's possible. Hell, I don't know which is the largest GBA game in existence (largest by ROM size, of course).

19. Once @Jeffman is done finishing the translation of Mother 2 (for GBA), (in which he still haven't finished it to this day), I want one of the biggest request of them all: I want someone to fully port the Mother 25th Anniversary patch by @DragonDePlatino, and the MaternalBound Omega patch by @ShadowOne333 to Mother 1+2. Out of all of my requests, this is the one that I want the most.

No more until I come up with more new ideas.

Shift

• View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: February 18, 2016, 02:16:22 pm »
That's because Luigi's sprites in the SNES version were made for Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World. The original Super Mario World had Luigi as a straight palette swap of Mario.

Also, I actually made an unreleased SMA2 hack that's changes Luigi's sprites to those from SMAS+SMW. For the bonus game's "lose" sprites, I simply gave Luigi a "shock" face to go with SMAS+SMW giving him distinct poses. I don't have them in the computer I'm on at the moment.
It was the World version of All-Stars that I tried, and I still couldn't find anything. Anyway, I'd love to give that a try if you ever release it.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: February 19, 2016, 07:07:28 am »
The DIY is strong with this community.

I'm not confident that you will know what it stands for, so I will spell it out for you: Do It Yourself.
Yamero~~!

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: February 19, 2016, 09:47:21 am »
It would be cool if someone could add VWF to Pokémon R/B/Y/G/S/C/Ruby/Saph. These days, seeing those games with everything in CAPS can look pretty bad and unprofessional, specially after playing from Emerald and beyond.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: February 19, 2016, 10:09:18 am »
18. I don't know if it's also virtually possible, but I want someone to expand the ROM size limit of Mother 3 to maximum size level of a normal GBA game. I say this, because from the looks of it, Mother 3 seems like an unhackable game thanks to the size of the translation made by Mato. If this could be expanded, many people would try to port their EarthBound hacks to Mother 3. But I still don't know if it's possible. Hell, I don't know which is the largest GBA game in existence (largest by ROM size, of course).
Mother 3 is already the GBA maximum size, 32MB.
(without a mapper. I've heard the only GBA carts to use a mapper were a couple of those crappy GBA Videos, which was only relatively recently cracked.)

@Gary_Oak I think RBYGSC use a tile-mapped font (meaning each character is only drawn once in VRAM and repeated across the screen.) Using a VWF on a tile-based console like the GB requires drawing all the text as graphics (across many times). It would be an extensive amount of work (basically all printing functions would have to be redrawn), and I don't think there would even be enough VRAM for all of it (at least on an original GB, GBC probably has enough. Though I don't know about Crystal, since it was already GBC-only, I don't know if it's already using that space.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018