News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2602494 times)

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2560 on: February 08, 2016, 01:06:34 am »
...Why such hostility towards those who are new? This line of thought only creates an aura of elitism and an impossible hurdle to overcome. This is not the correct mindset to grow a community. Yes some of the new people lack will and temerity, but you still take that chance to help them where you can, when you can. You do not build a community by looking down on others, especially novices who are hoping to make some strides in this hobby.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: February 08, 2016, 01:17:37 am »
...Why such hostility towards those who are new?

I'm just playing. LOL

But seriously, some people need to try harder or just stick to lurking.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: February 08, 2016, 02:59:07 am »
I have no problems with noobs asking naive questions, I did and do from times to times.

The problem is indeed that it takes time to answer, and more than often it's lost time. I remember some Diesch's (and others') wonderful posts (thus not those in General Discussions  ;D) (by the way, he doesn't post a lot these days, less time I guess), giving precise details about some non-trivial hacking, and being totally ignored.

We don't emphasize enough that hacking, and especially asm hacking, *is* hard. Really. It's almost  worthless to dive into if you never programmed before. And even with that background, it's hard, especially in this time when most languages are so high-lrvel that most coders have no idea about what's happening low-level.

There is a reason why there is so few romhackers. Even on this board. Skilled hackers barely answers noobs (Diesch is an exception),  SunGodPortal bashes them, but he/she isn't credited for any asm hacking, from what I see :)

We should have some trial to filter unwillingly noobs before they deserve precise answers  ;D

So, yes, we're an unfriendly community, but there are reasons.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: February 08, 2016, 03:30:52 am »
SunGodPortal bashes them, but he/she isn't credited for any asm hacking, from what I see :)

I am no 1337 h4x0r, that's for sure. :)

And again, I was just having fun. I'm sure if we go back about a year and and a half look at my posts they are probably as dumb as anybodys.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #2564 on: February 08, 2016, 06:28:56 am »
I am no 1337 h4x0r, that's for sure. :)

And again, I was just having fun. I'm sure if we go back about a year and and a half look at my posts they are probably as dumb as anybodys.

Dumber even.  :laugh:

This topic is at 129 pages now, I'm fairly certain if you read through each page it goes: suggestions, suggestions, suggestions, suggestions, noob hate, suggestions, suggestions, suggestions, suggestions, noob hate...

Noobs do suck though, we should eradicate them all...

...by teaching them the skills they require to not be noobs any more! (see what I did there ;) )

Anyway, SunGodPortal, you crack me up. Just laughed out loud at your foreign noob impression, I read a lot of questions on Stack Overflow and that was bang on the money.

juze

• View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: February 08, 2016, 08:19:10 am »
A joypad hack for metal combat. Or any super scope 6 game.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: February 08, 2016, 09:39:28 am »
After making the decision to try and play through a low level game of FF8 to max my stats endgame (which is very doable thanks to a surprising number of uber magic sources early on), I've come to the conclusion that I was right about hating the game in the first place.

I know that no one will do this (I'm not sure some of these things are even possible TBH), but I would LOVE to see someone do any or all of the following:

--Hack various plot points to make them make rational sense (ie What kind of incompetent army lets their prisoners keep machine guns?  WTF did I need to go into space except to enable an important plot element? WHO RUNS A SCHOOL THIS WAY?  among numerous, numerous others)

--Having proper equips instead of using my magic in place of them would probably make magic more useful than just as stat sticks.  Or maybe have designated magic for junctioning purposes that don't scale with the number you have, but are just a constant equip effect?

--Good lord, fix the limit break/desperation attack system and get rid of Aura.

--Would someone do something with the horrifically empty world map?  I'd say I have zero reason to go to ~75% of it until disc 4 when I can't enter locations anymore.  This is such a waste, and could've actually been used to make the game world so much more interesting.

--Dear god fix the overarching plot and the general text throughout the game to make things less stupid and less obvious the development team made a 180 degree turn at the end of disc 2 and ret-conned the final bit in there.  Little dumb things too could'e been used to make the game world seem so much more too (Esthar is separated into 2 halves officially named "leftside" and "rightside"?  You really couldn't do better than that?).

--I know I'm going on and on, but one last thing-->hack in opportunities to see some of the actually great monster designs in this game.  I will rant and rave about so many things in FF8, but the graphics were great for its time, and there are some still very legit cool monster designs.  Sadly, you never see ~60% of them because they're relegated to obscure parts of your world map you have literally no reason to explore.  While those cool monsters are off hidden in a corner for me to find in a scavenger hunt 3/4 of the way through the game, I've been fighting the same bugs, bats, birds and soldiers for 3 whole discs.  What a waste.

/endrant

I've actually been enjoying my low-level run a surprising amount from a gameplay challenge perspective (especially now that I'm starting to max my levels), but there are so many things wrong with this game that keep it from being actually enjoyable that I needed to vent.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: February 08, 2016, 02:06:15 pm »
I am no 1337 h4x0r, that's for sure

Wow, Leetspeak, that brings me back to YE OLDEN days of ROM Hacking.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: February 08, 2016, 02:42:40 pm »
Here's part 1 (because for some reason, RHDN doesn't let me post a huge list) of my updated list of dream romhacks that I wish someone or some people could make. I modified them for clarity:

-Super Mario/Yume Kojo-

1. Super Mario Advance (Super Mario Bros. 2 in USA; Super Mario USA in Japan) and Super Mario Advance 4 (Super Mario Bros. 3) should have its whole style image (platform, levels, background art, enemies, bosses, special event flags for the bosses, music) resemble its NES predecessors (like the Classic NES version of Super Mario Bros. for the GBA), and its SNES predecessor as well (Super Mario All-Stars).

2. A remake of Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic! (Dream Factory: Heart-Pounding Panic!) using both the Super Mario All-Stars engine (considering that one might use an autoboot patch for people to jump straight to the Super Mario Bros. 2 game of Super Mario All-Stars) and/or the Super Mario Advance engine. Literally everything remade optionally using those engines.

3. An FDS to NES (re)port of Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic! (Dream Factory: Heart-Pounding Panic!) to Super Mario Bros. 2/Super Mario USA ROM as the base. Is a matter of replacing some sprites, altering some stuff in the menus, and changing/creating the cutscenes from SMB2 to Yume Kojo.

-Metroid-

4. Metroid II: Return of Samus remade using the Metroid: Zero Mission engine, if it’s possible. I know what you people are thinking: there’s already an existing Metroid II remake, THAT ALSO USES METROID: ZERO MISSION ASSETS. I know. Is really awesome. But I found out that this remake was being made for PC’s. Funny story, because when I first saw some screenshots and a some gameplay videos, I thought it was a rom hack. But I was wrong. So I figured, “what if someone had the guts to remake Metroid II for GBA”?

5. The same as the one above me but for Super Metroid. Yes, Super Metroid. Imagine that: Super Metroid remade using the Metroid: Zero Mission (or Metroid Fusion) engine. Just the thought of playing Super Metroid on the go is a no-brainer.

-The Legend of Zelda-

6. Removing the Four Swords partition (and everything related to it) of the GBA remake of The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past, just so it could be single-player only, standalone game. People might think that this might be like some kind of autoboot patch, but is not just that. I really/literally want everything that has to do with Four Swords from the remake removed just so TLOZ: A Link To The Past can be a single-player game.

-Wolfenstein 3D/Doom/Doom II for GBA-

7. A complete restoration of everything that has been censored and upgrade, for the GBA versions of  Wolfenstein 3D (thank you for telling me DurrandonXylles from Starmen.net) and Doom II for the GBA, just like SVKaiser's Doom Uncensoring Patch.

8. Faithful patches that fixes and restores the GBA versions of Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Doom II closely to their MS-DOS versions, because a lot of people criticized these ports for being incredibly inferior to their predecessors (also due to the fact that they were made for the GBA). If you go the official Wikis of Wolfenstein and Doom, respectively, and try to find information regarding their GBA ports, you'll see the changes they made.

February 08, 2016, 02:43:24 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And here's part 2 of my updated list of dream romhacks that I wish someone or some people could make. I modified them for clarity:

-Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior)-

9. Making a SNES port (or remake) of the Famicom/NES version of Dragon Quest IV/Dragon Warrior IV using the Dragon Quest V/Dragon Warrior V game engine. This would be a good idea, since, at that time, they haven’t even thought of porting or remaking the game for the SFC/SNES. This hack would something similar like the Mother Remake project that is being developed by H.S. in Starmen.net.

-Final Fantasy-

10. An update on @vivify93's Project II: Final Fantasy IV that includes Grimoire LD's Immune Bytes bugfixes patch, chillyfeez's Break Damage limit patch, and Pinkpuff's Unprecedented Crisis patch.

11. An ultimate compilation patch similar to vivify's Project II: Final Fantasy IV patch for Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy III in the USA). Assuming that vivify is already making that patches in the works or someone already did something like this.

12. Remakes of the NES versions of Final Fantasy I, II, & III for the SNES using vivify93's Project II: Final Fantasy IV patch as a base.

13. A port (or, again, a remake if you think about it) of Lugia2009’s version of Final Fantasy VII for NES using both the Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy III in the USA) SNES engine, and/or the Final Fantasy VI Advance GBA engine, respectively. Whoever makes the port (or remake) gets to add what Lugia2009 couldn’t add before because of the ROM size of the NES version of Final Fantasy VII.

-Color TV Games for the NES-

14. I don’t know if this can be done, but I want for someone to make a compilation of literally all of the Color TV Games for the NES. Or at least, one by one. To my knowledge, I somehow feel like Nintendo never managed to port these games for the NES. This sounds more like homebrew, in which that person recreates those games for the NES.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: February 08, 2016, 06:32:49 pm »
I have never understood the desire to have the GBA ports of FPS titles improved immeasurably by better controls on newer systems, and also owing to source releases available in a thousand different systems and improved even more than the originals if you want that sort of things (no idea about the official wikis but http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance I like for the differences). Doom 64, the semi official stuff from the XBLA releases of doom 2 and such, even the homebrew ports on the DS, I can see work being done on. Likewise it is a bit more of a stretch (mainly as they are near universally awful) but the actual GBA fps titles like ecks vs sever, Ice Nine and I guess sum of all fears are also possibly worth a look but it otherwise seems like a lot of effort for no great gain.

Removing four swords root and stem... I have looked at the ROM before as part of other things and it is pretty intertwined (though four swords was pretty uncompressed where LTTP was not so obvious), to say nothing of the nightmare that is shrinking GBA games (no filesystem to look at and very likely to have been a compiler driven affair rather than assembly). The original ROM is 64 Mbit as well so it is not like you are even pressed for space if you wanted to do some more hacking.
Autoboot and menu removal/tweaking, can't say it appeals greatly if I am on the hunt for interesting hacks to do (and I have countless puzzle games that would actually benefit from a hack like this) but it is a plenty doable project.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: February 08, 2016, 07:43:51 pm »
Re: Color TV Games.

I couldn't find any information on these, but from their YouTube videos, looks like they'd be a piece of cake to reprogram from scratch. You can do it, John Enigma, I believe in you. :)

Re:Remakes of FF1,2,3...been done for PS1 and PSP and Wii and Nintendo DS, etc.

Re:Port of FF7 from NES (pirate/hack) to SNES or GBA.

I really like that idea. Or just a simple hack of FF4, 5, or 6 (SNES) that puts FF7 characters and elements in would be awesome.

nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: February 08, 2016, 08:30:20 pm »
Re: Color TV Games: I couldn't find any information on these, but from their YouTube videos, looks like they'd be a piece of cake to reprogram from scratch. You can do it, John Enigma, I believe in you. :)
I don't have the knowledge. I thought that one of the guys that know how to make homebrews could make it. Thank you, though. :)

Quote from: dougeff
Re:Remakes of FF1,2,3...been done for PS1 and PSP and Wii and Nintendo DS, etc.
I know. But they never remade it for the SNES/SFC, if you think about it. Plus is a no-brainer. Final Fantasy I, II, III being remade using the Final Fantasy IV (Final Fantasy II in USA) SNES engine would be awesome.

Quote from: dougeff
Re:Port of FF7 from NES (pirate/hack) to SNES or GBA.

I really like that idea. Or just a simple hack of FF4, 5, or 6 (SNES) that puts FF7 characters and elements in would be awesome.
Eh I would prefer if somebody would use the rom base of either Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy III in the USA) for SNES or Final Fantasy VI Advance. I would also prefer the SNES version, though.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 08:37:10 pm by John Enigma »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: February 09, 2016, 12:07:50 pm »
Hmm... As I recall the Immune Byte Bugfix of mine is already in Vivify's patch and Unprecedented Crisis. Also Unprecedented Crisis is a major mod, a literal overhaul of the Entire game with a brand new story past Fabul. It wouldn't mesh well with the retranslation effort of Vivify's work since a lot of the text is built from the ground up.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: February 09, 2016, 02:29:17 pm »
Hmm... As I recall the Immune Byte Bugfix of mine is already in Vivify's patch and Unprecedented Crisis. Also Unprecedented Crisis is a major mod, a literal overhaul of the Entire game with a brand new story past Fabul. It wouldn't mesh well with the retranslation effort of Vivify's work since a lot of the text is built from the ground up.
I didn't know, sorry. Thanks for telling me though.

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: February 09, 2016, 09:06:09 pm »
Someone should do a hack of Night Trap to turn it into Five Nights At Freddies.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: February 10, 2016, 12:26:51 am »
1. I don't know if that's even possible.
2. The gameplay seems too different for that to be reasonable without a hefty code rewrite.
3. Why not just play the actual Five Night's?

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2576 on: February 10, 2016, 01:05:25 am »
--Having proper equips instead of using my magic in place of them would probably make magic more useful than just as stat sticks.  Or maybe have designated magic for junctioning purposes that don't scale with the number you have, but are just a constant equip effect?

Isn't it more a matter of rebalancing the boosts you get from junctions, and how easy it is to resupply your magic stock? It's more realistic to request stuff like that I think.

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

TonyBiH

• View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: February 10, 2016, 06:21:27 am »
I'm newbie but long time user of Romhacking. I wonder if someone can find way to hack relatively small game Player Manager 2000 from ANCO and 3DO for PSX. This specific manager is fun to play. I found out that i can edit only names in folder TEXT of game. Other stuff are encrypted. There you can choose between England, Germany, Italy, France and Scotland leagues. There are some errors in names of clubs that i can edit in HEX editor but i can't find names of nationalities assigned to players and money that belong to club. Game restricted budget to 30 milions after that your club balance reset to average 19 m because game tells you that your big investor left club. Does enyone play this game? I love it. Is not same to play this specific game and latter version when ANCO and 3DO split they ways.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: February 10, 2016, 08:16:00 am »
How about a retool hack of Little Nemo: The Dream Master?
How ya ask?
Replace Nemo with Toopy and Binoo (ref: http://toopyandbinoo-season1and2.treehousetv.com/images/logoTb_fr.jpg )
Integrate 2 player co-op because of Binoo
and retool the whole world of the game not only based on the batshit insane imagination of Dominique Jolin's titular 2 characters but also accommodate additional world that work with the two

Examples of how crazy the creativity of the show is and how it's perfect for a Little Nemo hack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpr3ms3ECdk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL6IgVCSP0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34vzrZ2SlQo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbvF6WDoKAM

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: February 10, 2016, 11:26:52 am »
I have been playing Ys series and here are something that would be neat to do:

Ys I & II (NES, PCECD/TGCD, PSP, PC...)
- For the NES version only, make it so the camera centers more on the protagonist.
- Allow us to have a button to properly attack head-on  without taking damage (Just like Legacy of Ys for DS).
- For the NES, move the menu button from Select to Start.

Ys III (Genesis, Snes, Nes...)
- Lower overall difficulty (reduce monsters and bosses attack and defense by perhaps two points)
- Make monsters stagger or take knockback when hit (Knockback when your attack does damage them, stagger when your attack does NOT damage them).
- Make Ring Power (R.P) regen over time (1 point per second) when not in use.
- Not sure if this happens on NES or not, but bind Select to Turn on-off Ring Power and set Menu to Start

Ys 4 (Snes...)
- Like with Ys I & II, bye bye bump system, hello attack button.

Ys 5 (Snes...)
- Remove the "Cross" format of the menu (it's terrible to navigate in it), force linear menu (the one you see when standing close to the sides, top and bottom of the screen).
- Allow Start, Select, L and R to be binded in the control menu (as well as displaying what they are currently binded to).