News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2455338 times)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2080 on: August 10, 2015, 03:50:00 pm »
There is a lot I would love to do with SCV4, but it seems like either there is little interest in hacking it or perhaps the compression is a big stumbling block for most people?

That's the only things that's kept me from working on it. I don't know if I would have time for it now but for the longest time I've wanted to give this game's graphics a makeover. Though they are good, I never like the sort of realism the game's graphics seemed to be going for. I would prefer more of an anime style like some of the newer ones or even more like Dracula X.

I know that Proton created decompressor and compressor tools for Konami SNES games, you can get them here but I don't know if they work for SCIV:

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1101/
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1102/

I recall looking into this at one time. I didn't actually try them but considering how big Castlevania was for Konami, after seeing that SCV4 wasn't listed I assumed it was a no go.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: August 10, 2015, 08:01:29 pm »
I had the same thought. The graphics are well enough as is, but like CV3 they just seem like they are just a bit too all-over-the-place, as it were.
There is also the little castle in stage 2 that REALLY seems like it was intended to be in another layer so that it looks far away... as opposed to looking like some random zombie decided to make a scale model.

Also, I'm really curious if the level data is as much of a pain in the but to edit as with CV1 & 3.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: August 10, 2015, 08:14:12 pm »
Also, I'm really curious if the level data is as much of a pain in the but to edit as with CV1 & 3.

Hmm. Not sure. I've never tried editing those. The only NES Castlevania I really considered hacking was Simon's Quest because I wanted to make an NES Metroidvania. Always wanted to use that form as a means to retell the story from Castlevania Legends. Not enough female Belmonts or female protagonists in the series. Had also considered using the timeframe from the Dracula novel (though ignoring it's story) to make another Castlevania with a female Belmont of my own creation. I don't care for connections with the novel and I also don't care about the so-called canon/series timeline as it was nothing more than an afterthought from Konami.

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: August 11, 2015, 08:44:51 pm »
Game : Jurassic Park Interactive
Platform : 3DO
Idea : Replace the bad "lookalikes" with images of the actual movie actors.

Never gonna happen though, nobody likes 3DO :D

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: August 11, 2015, 09:38:13 pm »
I'd like to see some translations finished or updated that at this point are abandoned and could use a little TLC. Some are worth it some are not: Dragon Ball Z Super Butoden, Dragon Quest VI, Final Fantasy II (I attempted this one), Romancing Saga 2 and 3, and games that have horrid Engrish like the first Breath of Fire.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: August 12, 2015, 01:53:49 am »
I propose a overhaul hack of Transformers: Convoy no Nazo
with these needed tweaks
- fix the difficulty
- add cutscenes and make up a storyline
- implement unlimited continues
- better bosses

and a new name is an order - Transformers: The Secret of Prime

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: August 12, 2015, 09:26:53 pm »
I propose a overhaul hack of Transformers: Convoy no Nazo
with these needed tweaks
- fix the difficulty
- add cutscenes and make up a storyline
- implement unlimited continues
- better bosses

and a new name is an order - Transformers: The Secret of Prime

Another thing that would make that game better is a health bar where you can actually take more than one hit.

I would like to see hacks that would disable the new voice clips that Nintendo added to the GBA versions of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Mario Advance 1, 2, 3 & 4.

I also would like to see color restoration hacks for The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Mario Advance 3 & 4 as well.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: August 12, 2015, 10:30:56 pm »
Another thing that would make that game better is a health bar where you can actually take more than one hit.

I would like to see hacks that would disable the new voice clips that Nintendo added to the GBA versions of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Mario Advance 1, 2, 3 & 4.

I also would like to see color restoration hacks for The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Mario Advance 3 & 4 as well.

Speaking of SMA 4, I wanna see a hack of that game with all the eReader levels (even those from the Japanese release) in the game

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: August 12, 2015, 11:17:42 pm »
Speaking of SMA 4, I wanna see a hack of that game with all the eReader levels (even those from the Japanese release) in the game

That would be cool hack as well. That would make the GBA version of Super Mario Bros. 3 a lot better.

I also would like to see a homebrew GBA game that would port the Super Mario All-Stars versions of the original Super Mario Bros. and The Lost Levels to the GBA as Super Mario Advance 5: Super Mario Bros. + The Lost Levels that would have extra features like they did with the other GBA ports.

Another thing that should be done to this version is change the colors of Mario's clothes and Luigi's clothes so they'll both have blue overalls and Mario's shirt will be red and Luigi's shirt will be green.

That color change should also be done in Super Mario All-Stars and Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario World as well.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GameCube): A hack that would restore all the content that got censored back to their original uncensored format and change Vivian back to a boy as well:

https://tcrf.net/Paper_Mario:_The_Thousand-Year_Door#Regional_Differences
http://themushroomkingdom.net/pmttyd_j2e.shtml
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:13:02 am by SCD »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: August 13, 2015, 10:59:32 pm »
I'd like to see some translations finished or updated that at this point are abandoned and could use a little TLC. Some are worth it some are not: Dragon Ball Z Super Butoden, Dragon Quest VI, Final Fantasy II (I attempted this one), Romancing Saga 2 and 3, and games that have horrid Engrish like the first Breath of Fire.
I agree with all of these.  Last I heard of BoF1 was that the guy behind the second was starting work, but nothing outside of that.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:34:37 pm by Chronosplit »

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: August 14, 2015, 08:47:58 pm »
Possible hacks

- An improvement hack of VR Troopers (Genesis)
- Dig Dug (NES) hack starring Boj - sample of why it's a good idea: http://www.thudmedia.com/boj-digs/
- Mortal Kombat (SNES) improvement hack - MK Uncut

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: August 14, 2015, 09:25:28 pm »

I hope you mean NES FF2, because your FF4 Translation is pretty much it as far as translations go for that game.

I personally never had a problem with DQ 6's translation--I know it's not officially "complete", but it definitely wasn't the hot mess RS3's translation was.  And BoF 1 doesn't really need a retranslation---we all may as well skip it, since everyone knows BoF 2 is far superior anyways ;D

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: August 14, 2015, 10:40:31 pm »
I hope you mean NES FF2, because your FF4 Translation is pretty much it as far as translations go for that game.

I personally never had a problem with DQ 6's translation--I know it's not officially "complete", but it definitely wasn't the hot mess RS3's translation was.  And BoF 1 doesn't really need a retranslation---we all may as well skip it, since everyone knows BoF 2 is far superior anyways ;D

Thanks about that for FFIV. I meant FFII NES. I haven't gone by US numbering since FFVII.

Still the rest could use TLC. It's not necessary at this point, but some would like definitive versions of some of their favorites.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: August 14, 2015, 11:53:55 pm »
Speaking of translations....here's a crazy one.

What about the idea of something akin to Ted Woolsey Uncensored applied to Chrono Trigger?  I mean the DS one is great and so is the original, but it seems some still prefer the original's charms.

And BoF 1 doesn't really need a retranslation---we all may as well skip it, since everyone knows BoF 2 is far superior anyways ;D
It does have flaws, but it also gets plenty of references in the games after.  I wouldn't say it's not deserving of work for 'it's not as good" alone. :P

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: August 15, 2015, 12:01:12 am »
Speaking of translations....here's a crazy one.

What about the idea of something akin to Ted Woolsey Uncensored applied to Chrono Trigger?  I mean the DS one is great and so is the original, but it seems some still prefer the original's charms.

I'd like a darker, more mature Chrono Trigger. The story is heavy enough to accomodate this but I've never seen the Japanese script so I have no idea if it's even called for.

EDIT: Anything but a major change would not be worth the effort in my opinion. This game has such an unusual amount of replay value I think most people who dig this game have probably played it inside and out and deserve something more noticeably different than a rewording here and there. Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:18:48 am by SunGodPortal »

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: August 15, 2015, 01:27:12 am »
Blast Processing is actually true as the Genesis has a faster CPU than the SNES/SFC
too bad the Genesis lacked everything else, the Yamaha chip is a joke compared to Sony's on the SNES

Well there is Sega CD and at the very least, the music quality was great. Also I liked alot of the Genesis soundtracks and games even with the soundchip. Hell IMO soundtrackwise and gamewise Streets of Rage kicks the crap out of SNES Final Fight. As far as RPGs are concerned, I played both Zelda 3 and Monster World 4, both games musicwise and contentwise are amazing in very different and unique ways.

I stand by what I have said many times in this forum. There is  no reason why someone couldn't try to create an awesome Sega Genesis hack or Sega Master System hack other than just not being exposed to any good Genesis and Master System games besides Sonic. Hell even the Sonic 3 or Sonic and Knuckles engine I'm sure with enough modifications could create a whole new experience.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: August 15, 2015, 02:14:40 am »
Well there is Sega CD and at the very least, the music quality was great. Also I liked alot of the Genesis soundtracks and games even with the soundchip. Hell IMO soundtrackwise and gamewise Streets of Rage kicks the crap out of SNES Final Fight. As far as RPGs are concerned, I played both Zelda 3 and Monster World 4, both games musicwise and contentwise are amazing in very different and unique ways.

It was possible to make great music on the Genesis but I see that as more of an acception rather than the norm. I think Castlevania: Bloodlines has one of the best soundtracks of any game for any system. It's def Michiru's best because there's no filler and no inappropriate pop music contrasting all of the cool gothic baroque. Even though I love that soundtrack and the way it sounds, for some reason I still tend to harbor unfavorable views for the Genesis' sound. The sound fx are of course where the Genesis fails most miserably. The ugly, limited palettes and the poor sound compared to the SNES have always prevented me from properly warming up to the Genesis. The palettes may have been more of a stylistic choice though. I've seen a handful of Genesis games that didn't suffer from this problem but most I believe are hideous. I'd say if I didn't have to factor in nostalgia I'd probably feel the same way about the NES. The NES had ugly graphics too but the synth based sounds (square, triangle, etc.) were more to my liking and sounded more flexible.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:15:14 pm by SunGodPortal »

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: August 15, 2015, 02:27:00 am »
It was possible to make great music on the Genesis but I see that as more of an acception rather than the norm. I think Castlevania: Bloodlines has one of the best soundtracks of any game for any system. It's def Michiru's best because there's no filler and no inappropriate pop music contrasting all of the cool gothic baroque. Even though I love that soundtrack and the way it sounds, for some reason I still tend to harbor unfavorable views for the Genesis' sound. The sound fx are of course where the Genesis fails most miserably. The ugly, limited palettes and the poor sound compared to the SNES have always prevented me from properly warming up to the Genesis. The palettes may have been more of a stylistic choice though. I've seen a handful of Genesis games that didn't suffer from this problem but most I believe are hideous. I'd say if I didn't have to factor in nostalgia I'd probably feel the same way about the NES. The NES had ugly graphics too but the synth based sounds (square, triangle, etc.) were more to my liking and sounded more flexible.

Well I would think if we want to talk hardware of that gen, Neo Geo was prob the most superior all around. It was just horrendously costly all around so nobody bothered with it.  Still it had some fun fighting games. I did enjoy world heroes in the arcade.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:39:31 am by johnny »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: August 15, 2015, 02:33:47 am »
Well I would think if we want to talk hardware of that gen, Neo Geo was prob the most superior all around. It was just horrendously costly all around so nobody bothered with it.  Still it had some fun fighting games. I did enjoy world heroes in the arcade.

Metal Slug is all that I'm familiar with but those games rule.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: August 15, 2015, 02:40:19 am »
Metal Slug is all that I'm familiar with but those games rule.

The only thing that surpassed the SNES and even the N64 (though not right away) was the PSX.  Still IMO it probably doesn't pay to bother rom hacking and changing PSX games around. For that amount of work you're probably better off having your own game engine and making your own game. There were many people who wanted to add in Cursed Prison and Underground Garden into the PSX Symphony of the Night but they quickly lost interest when they saw how much work it was or if it was even possible to do at all. Neo Geo though hasn't at all been explored though afaik.