News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2465475 times)

Seihen

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2020 on: July 23, 2015, 01:27:27 am »
You know what would solve all our RS3 problems?  If someone got off their duff and translated the Japanese RS3 editor.

RS3 EDITOR TRANSLATION REQUESTED---THE 72 HOUR CLOCK HAS BEEN STARTED FOR THIS TO GET DONE.

Got a link to it?

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: July 23, 2015, 02:15:19 am »
let's not get ahead of ourselves, let's just get a decent eng rs3 trans first

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: July 23, 2015, 02:49:01 am »
let's not get ahead of ourselves, let's just get a decent eng rs3 trans first

That's fair enough, but if the source code is available for the editor and it can be re-compiled (like the one RS Analyzer program I was able to find online in a 3-minute Google search), it wouldn't be all that difficult to make a translation of the tool.

If it needs to be byte-hacked, then yeah, screw it. =p But I've got nothing going on this weekend, so I'd be willing to take a look at the tool, depending on the effort needed.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: July 23, 2015, 02:01:18 pm »
One of the things that would need to be done with the existing RS3 Eng patch (assuming nothing gets one with using that Spanish? patch as a hacking base) would be to make a proper font hack (as I realize the 16x16 disguising itself as an 8x16 might require script extraction and reinsertion) so we can wean it of that tool to hack ZSNES savestates to get non-T E R R A N I G M A names.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: July 23, 2015, 09:23:37 pm »
So, I took a further look at RS3eEdit (which is the tool I think people were referring to) and unfortunately I couldn't find the source for it anywhere. As far as I can tell, it looks like it was programmed in Visual Basic, but without the source code, translating the tool would be a vicious experience like rom-hacking. It would probably make more sense for someone to use the data available (and there's a lot of data available, fortunately, on Japanese sites) to simply make a new tool.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: July 24, 2015, 02:45:45 am »
Yeah, sorry, I was only half-way joking (an English RS3 editor would really be amazing though)

If I remember right, the editor was a hot-mess, so you're totally right about it probably being easier just to build your own from scratch.  However, I believe that one you found is what was used to create that massive RS3 hack that plugged in characters, custom music, and events from literally every SaGa game ever made (except SaGa 3).

I personally just want to go through and re-proofread all the writing though, because while most of it is passable, it's generally about as much of a mess as the original Secret of Mana.  Plugging in new music for certain sections would just be the cherry on top so-to-speak.  If I were not starting grad school this Fall, I honestly might actually be motivated enough to learn some hacking to take a crack at it myself

But yeah Seihen, if you WANT to jump into the abyss (no pun intended) of compiling an RS3 editor, I know I'd be super interested :P --my posts were mostly just me venting as my more recent playthrough lol

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: July 24, 2015, 11:49:44 am »
One idea that would be really cool would be an add-on patch for both Final Fantasy IV and VI for the SNES that adds the GBA features of a Bestiary and a Music Player. Heck, even one for FFV if possible. I know that space limitations might be a factor, but if T-Edition can add a Music Player to FFVI I'm sure it could be done.

As for Romancing Saga 3, I'd like to see both 2 and 3 finished as far as translations are concerned.

How difficult would it be to add a B Button dash to Final Fantasy II & III (NES) and Breath of Fire I & II (SNES)?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: July 24, 2015, 12:00:44 pm »
One idea that would be really cool would be an add-on patch for both Final Fantasy IV and VI for the SNES that adds the GBA features of a Bestiary and a Music Player. Heck, even one for FFV if possible. I know that space limitations might be a factor, but if T-Edition can add a Music Player to FFVI I'm sure it could be done.

As for Romancing Saga 3, I'd like to see both 2 and 3 finished as far as translations are concerned.

How difficult would it be to add a B Button dash to Final Fantasy II & III (NES) and Breath of Fire I & II (SNES)?

Bestiaries are a very data intensive procedure normally, it's part of the reason why NES and SNES games didn't often contain them in-game. A lot of moving pieces come to loading a sprite in a lone battle formation, drawing a box and pointing the data, making data that reads certain hex as more than numbers, arrange these text strings in a nice and neat way, it would be an enormous undertaking for a process that is likely not worth it.

A Music Player in FFVI, while impressive, is nowhere near as complicated as including a Bestiary. As playing a song is a simple prospect in comparison.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: July 24, 2015, 02:08:02 pm »
I figured that was the case. From the little I know of the GBA games under the hood, they are technically the same. Like I said it would be cool if someone could do it. If it never happens so be iit.  :beer:

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: July 24, 2015, 02:56:33 pm »
they are technically the same.

What does it mean? GBA and SNES have nothing to do, so the engine was necessarily rewritten from scratch. At best, they share the same ressources.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: July 24, 2015, 03:43:34 pm »
What does it mean? GBA and SNES have nothing to do, so the engine was necessarily rewritten from scratch. At best, they share the same ressources.

I stand corrected.  :beer:

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: July 24, 2015, 04:21:14 pm »
I think I forgot a smiley  :beer:

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: July 25, 2015, 01:17:40 am »

I could be wrong about this, but doesn't Ryusei's retranslation of BoF 2 have a built-in run button?  I'm not at my home computer right now, so I can't check myself, but I seem to remember it did.  Besides, since most SNES games had this particular function, I don't think it should be impossible

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: July 25, 2015, 06:23:35 am »
Yes it was Ryusei's doing along with d4. However the german version they made had all the goodies first.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 06:40:10 am by Thanatos-Zero »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: July 25, 2015, 06:39:08 am »
That was d4s (aka dforce3000) doing. Ryusei used the german retranslation with the added extra for the english version. I dunno if Ryusei is part of d4, but d4's intention was to make not only a german version, but also the english version.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1049/
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1384/

Ah--I only speak English, so I obviously only played Ryusei's translation.  I didn't know it was essentially a translation of a different translation--some of the opening stuff Germanic references, and credits make a bit more sense now!

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: July 25, 2015, 06:42:25 am »
They both worked on both versions though.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: July 25, 2015, 12:12:56 pm »
Ah--I only speak English, so I obviously only played Ryusei's translation.  I didn't know it was essentially a translation of a different translation--some of the opening stuff Germanic references, and credits make a bit more sense now!
Ryusui translated the game from Japanese but used the German patch as a hacking base.
Though if I remember, by the end of the project he would've rather used a patch with less "enhancements".
The 3D overworld had to be nuked because it caused crashes during the few (one in particular) cutscenes that happen on it. The translucent windows cause a few sprites to suddenly appear during a few cutscenes (they were placed there as the game had originally expected the solid color dialogue window to hide NPCs until they "suddenly" appear. Such as when Jokers appear to take Nina to Mt. Rocko during the Magic School cutscene)
And I think a few of the testers wanted the original character introduction cutscenes (which d4s removed for his own opening). But the closest they got was when Ryusui made a patch to restore the original title screen music, over that Japanese commercial music or some rock song from Guitar Hero or something (I was never into those games) (I think it was called "Through the Fire and Flames". All I know it as is "I get up in the morning in the time before the light" because that is as much as I had to hear before it could be skipped each time I started the game :D )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: July 28, 2015, 06:46:14 am »
I know this will get pretty much ingored, but I've been playing Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures, as the European version I played as a kid was just a butchered and half-assed version of the original japanese game with a lot of content gone.

Thing is, i've been feeling that the game would be much more fun if you could charge the jet-pack and the attacks with L and R instead with the same buttons you use to Jump and Attack. I find it really awkward to been unable to jump if I want to charge, or unable to attack if I want to break a wall but there are enemies around.

Not only feels awkward but diminishes the value of those abilities as you have to use the normal moves constantly.

L and R are supposed to scroll the camera, but I don't find much use for it myself.
I don't know how hard could it be to make such changes to the japanese version, but I believe it could do wonders for the gameplay.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:59:54 am by Maeson »
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: July 28, 2015, 02:52:54 pm »
I know this will get pretty much ingored, but I've been playing Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures, as the European version I played as a kid was just a butchered and half-assed version of the original japanese game with a lot of content gone.

Thing is, i've been feeling that the game would be much more fun if you could charge the jet-pack and the attacks with L and R instead with the same buttons you use to Jump and Attack. I find it really awkward to been unable to jump if I want to charge, or unable to attack if I want to break a wall but there are enemies around.

Not only feels awkward but diminishes the value of those abilities as you have to use the normal moves constantly.

L and R are supposed to scroll the camera, but I don't find much use for it myself.
I don't know how hard could it be to make such changes to the japanese version, but I believe it could do wonders for the gameplay.

I'd like to see this as well. Great game(s). Too bad it isn't split screen when you have two player. Someone always gets left behind.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: July 28, 2015, 03:12:59 pm »
I'd like to see this as well. Great game(s). Too bad it isn't split screen when you have two player. Someone always gets left behind.

Classic Sonic 2/3&K Problem, lol.  It could be worse if you're P2 and your friend was a dick... Although you could get your revenge leading him to spikes when he wanted you to move him to some place or by Boss Trolling. I got pretty good at it at one point.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.