Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.

Started by Piotyr, March 23, 2007, 10:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magictrufflez

I know I'm disrupting the bashing on clone systems, but something I realized while playing Romancing SaGa 3 today--I really wish that someone would hack some of Romancing SaGa 1 and 2's music into the game.  Replacing RS3's final battle theme with RS2's final battle theme especially would make me stop cringing at the odd faux egyptian music...

SunGodPortal

QuoteI know I'm disrupting the bashing on clone systems...

If they worked like they were supposed to there would be no need to bash them. :P
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

SCD

Quote from: Rodimus Primal on July 16, 2015, 10:21:03 AM
I think a really great idea would be to overhaul Castlevania III in such a way as to play all stages in the game instead of branching paths, AND be able to switch between all 4 characters by end game. It would include all 4 of them in the ending as well.

This hack idea I really like, especially if someone can make one for the Japanese version.

I can't believe there's over a hundred pages of hack ideas now.

daveeejones

#2003
Quote from: SunGodPortal on July 16, 2015, 10:57:40 PM
Aren't there 10s of thousands of real NES consoles on ebay for cheap ALL of the time?

Not brand new for < $20  :)

SCD

There's a lot of NES consoles on ebay that are very expensive, especially the modified ones that disabled the lockout chip, a new 72 pin installed to them and the ones that have RGB or HDMI outputs installed to them as well.

daveeejones

#2005
Quote from: SCD on July 17, 2015, 05:50:57 AM
There's a lot of NES consoles on ebay that are very expensive, especially the modified ones that disabled the lockout chip, a new 72 pin installed to them and the ones that have RGB or HDMI outputs installed to them as well.

Exactly   :)

ROM hacks would therefore make the complete NES library playable on cheap clone consoles, enabling many new gamers easy affordable access to retro gaming awesomeness without limitations :)





Seihen

But isn't that just exacerbating the problem? Each of the clone console variants probably has their own weird issues, which would require unique rom hacks for each console. When a clone console revision was released, then it's entirely possible that you'd need a new rom hack to make it work again.

I think they're good for what they do, but they're ultimately a false economy in the long run for anyone serious.

SunGodPortal

QuoteNot brand new for < $20  :)

Yeah, but the clones are likely made in China like everything else now. That means they are garbage and in a few months pieces will start breaking off, they will catch fire and give you lead poisoning in the meantime. The good old NES was made in Japan and from my experience that means it will last far longer than it was expected to. If the original NES had been made in China there would no longer be any in existence.

"You get what you pay for"
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

KingMike

That's true. Once even Nintendo shifted to Chinese manufacturing their quality took a hit.
My SNES (aside from yellowing) and original GB still work as fine as ever. But my original DS is kind of sad. :(
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SunGodPortal

QuoteThat's true. Once even Nintendo shifted to Chinese manufacturing their quality took a hit.
My SNES (aside from yellowing) and original GB still work as fine as ever. But my original DS is kind of sad. :(

That reminds me. The other night my friend texted me and told me that his Gameboy finally died and that he had it since 1991. That's a quality product. My original SNES lasted a little over 20 years and except for a few months here or there it was in almost constant use because despite having many systems it was the ONE for me.

I made a pretty broad generalization by implying that any Chinese product is crap but then again there are plenty of examples... I'm sure there's some good stuff but I seem to remember that before everything went to China it was possible to buy something inexpensive and still have it be a good product. Now it seems like most things cheap are just "cheap". LOL
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

daveeejones

Quote from: Seihen on July 17, 2015, 05:38:54 PM
Each of the clone console variants probably has their own weird issues, which would require unique rom hacks for each console. When a clone console revision was released, then it's entirely possible that you'd need a new rom hack to make it work again.

I was kinda thinking that same thing too :D

thanks heaps anyway for your info guys :D

Bahamut ZERO

Bringing up a discussion from earlier regarding Super Mario Kart's CPU weapons - was that hack completed? I read through the topic that linked, and last post regarding it was a video of progress, with the only thing left to do being making the fireball item not potentially hit the player when dropped. I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask in any case haha.

And ironically, while thinking of an idea to dump off onto this topic, I ended up giving myself one - changing the graphics in Golden Axe Warrior to Link's Awakening/Oracle of Seasons & ages equivalents. Since I've found a love for messing with graphics, I think it'd be a fun little project alongside of my other stuff I'm doing.


Actually, now I DO have a random idea: How feasible would it be to combine Oracle of Ages and Seasons into one abridged experince? Like say,  you start off with Seasons, which leads into Ages, with the extra weapons/upgrades you'd recieve  from finding the 8971623763 secret codes during the second half of your quest? Also perhaps removing the few tools specific to Seasons once you hit the Ages portion,  due to the limited inventory space provided. Worth the trouble? Probably not. Would it be epic to see and play? Hell yes.  ;)

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Vanya

I think that Oracles idea would be better suited to a fangame project than a rom hack.
It would be epic either way, especially if an Oracle of Secrets chapter could be worked in.

Mattrizzle

Quote from: Bahamut ZERO on July 19, 2015, 01:02:28 PM
Bringing up a discussion from earlier regarding Super Mario Kart's CPU weapons - was that hack completed? I read through the topic that linked, and last post regarding it was a video of progress, with the only thing left to do being making the fireball item not potentially hit the player when dropped. I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask in any case haha.
The short answer is no.  There were a couple of other issues. For one, squashing a shrunken player in Battle Mode doesn't cause them to lose a balloon.  Also, I need assistance in deciding how frequently these new items should appear.

Chael

edit : wrong place to post.

Thanatos-Zero

I have a idea for the translated Romancing SaGa 3.

How about we make the grinding of the skill levels less tedious and increase the dropings of rare items. Also Dragon Scales should be dropable by the big dragons and the Dragon Rulers.

Also, to avoid that we get too early way too high skill levels, skill levels should be limited by the maximal HP.
The formula would look like this:
MAX HP/20+1= MAX SKILL LEVEL

So if you had 500HP you could reach only 26 in any weapon and magic you use.
Since 999 doesn't give you the maximum skill level of 50 but 49, a +1 should fix it.

Last but not least mastering WAZA should improve the chance to spark WAZA of the same type of weapon, especially the very difficult ones.

SCD

I would like to see a hack for the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure that would add all the new content that was added to the DX: Director's Cut version and it would also restore the stylized cowgirl billboard that waves a 3D martini glass in the Casinopolis action stage as well.

Seihen

Did the original Dreamcast version do anything better than the DX re-makes to make it worthwhile to put it back on the old game?

SCD

Quote from: Seihen on July 22, 2015, 11:27:19 PM
Did the original Dreamcast version do anything better than the DX re-makes to make it worthwhile to put it back on the old game?

The models for the characters don't look plastic looking, there's less bugs and it has better graphics, textures and lighting effects.

magictrufflez

Quote from: Thanatos-Zero on July 21, 2015, 11:23:52 AM
I have a idea for the translated Romancing SaGa 3.

How about we make the grinding of the skill levels less tedious and increase the dropings of rare items. Also Dragon Scales should be dropable by the big dragons and the Dragon Rulers.

Also, to avoid that we get too early way too high skill levels, skill levels should be limited by the maximal HP.
The formula would look like this:
MAX HP/20+1= MAX SKILL LEVEL

So if you had 500HP you could reach only 26 in any weapon and magic you use.
Since 999 doesn't give you the maximum skill level of 50 but 49, a +1 should fix it.

Last but not least mastering WAZA should improve the chance to spark WAZA of the same type of weapon, especially the very difficult ones.

You know what would solve all our RS3 problems?  If someone got off their duff and translated the Japanese RS3 editor.

RS3 EDITOR TRANSLATION REQUESTED---THE 72 HOUR CLOCK HAS BEEN STARTED FOR THIS TO GET DONE.