News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1340695 times)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1420 on: August 30, 2014, 01:44:23 am »
Here's the source.
I don't know if there's an assembler to insert 68k code into Genesis ROMs, so I actually used a generic 68k assembler and inserted the hex into the ROM manually. So the addresses are almost certainly not correct.
Probably the easiest way is to assemble (hopefully should at least assemble with space between the routines) and find a binary match in the ROM. Should be in the $115000 area.
Of course the $A10001 stuff is what you'd be interested in looking at.
http://pastebin.com/pf2fQtPQ

Hmm I'm not a programmer, but I can't think of how it'd even happen unless intentional. The console allows language and hz to be controlled separately.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: August 30, 2014, 10:31:01 am »
Originally I just wrote the hacks to be applied when in Japanese mode for testing and then just quickly swapped the one bit at release, probably thinking "eh, people will probably just use an emu anyways". But I guess the proper solution would be to swap all

Code: [Select]
move.b $A10001,D0 ;put this is for US-region check
 andi #$C0,D0
 cmpi #$80,D0

with
 andi #$C0,D0
 nop
which should then skip the hacks if in Japanese mode (high 2 bits = 0) and apply otherwise.
I'd have to look up how many bytes "cmpi #$80,D0" (though I think 68k instructions are always an even number of bytes) but I recall 4E 71 is the hex for the 68k NOP (strange value :P ).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: August 30, 2014, 05:52:23 pm »
Hasn't that been done already?  I swear I've seen some Mega Man 1/2 hacks that added those.
Uhmm... not to be picky or anything, but... there's a million MM hacks out there. Any idea of which might've done it? If so, it'd be great to reverse-engineer them and insert them in the vanilla version.
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #1423 on: August 30, 2014, 08:13:00 pm »
Some ideas I thought would be interesting to see in a SNES ROM hack (which aren't going to be in my own project):

1. A near complete remake of Castlevania Symphony of the Night for the SNES.  Yeah it'd require quite a few compromises on animation colours and boss battle designs, but you could probably get fairly close to the real game even on 16 bit hardware.  After all, I've ripped stuff like the whole clocktower FG/BG sets for my SMW mod, so someone ripping every other tileset and graphic doesn't seem too far fetched...

2. Metal Slug elements, like the Rebel Army enemies.  I'd love to see someone try and put these guys in a SNES game/hack of some kind, especially Super Mario World. After all, they worked quite well in Mushroom Kingdom Fusion and Super Mario Fusion Revival:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns9s6yMHSvg

3. A Mario & Luigi style giant battle system, even as a tech demo.  I'd love to see something sort of inspired by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyYwkYF8y3g

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGfmGGeZSxU

Except with 16 bit sprites and music, would be just awesome to see running on a SNES.

4. Wario Land 4 for SNES.  I love this game, and damn I'd love to play a version of it for the SNES.  Tech wise it would need a bit of toning down (especially layer count and level scrolling wise), but it wouldn't be completely impossible, at least from my experiments with Wario Land 4 style levels in Super Mario World's engine.

5. Super Mario Country as a Game Boy game.  This Mario fan game looks really awesome and plays pretty well, and it's Super Mario Land 2 inspired game design would be perfect for an actual ROM hack or homebrew title:

http://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=30256

those are some random ideas I had for ROM hacking and stuff.  They're not ones I'd ever attempt myself (though elements from the above ideas can be found in my own projects), but they're definitely ones I'd love to see someone else try sometime in the far future.
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: August 31, 2014, 01:33:12 am »
Since 3DS ROMs can be decrypted now, any chance of porting Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D's eight new levels to the original Wii version?

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #1425 on: August 31, 2014, 06:03:14 am »
Originally I just wrote the hacks to be applied when in Japanese mode for testing and then just quickly swapped the one bit at release, probably thinking "eh, people will probably just use an emu anyways". But I guess the proper solution would be to swap all

andi #$C0,D0
 cmpi #$80,D0

with
 andi #$C0,D0
 nop
which should then skip the hacks if in Japanese mode (high 2 bits = 0) and apply otherwise.
I'd have to look up how many bytes "cmpi #$80,D0" (though I think 68k instructions are always an even number of bytes) but I recall 4E 71 is the hex for the 68k NOP (strange value :P ).

Sounds good. At least 50hz Japanese mode doesn't need fixing. :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:23:38 am by tc »

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: September 02, 2014, 01:43:23 pm »
Silly idea that'd be a pain and take forever: rebuild Triforce of the Gods 2 (A Link Between Worlds) in the Triforce of the Gods 1 (A Link to the Past) engine.

It could be done, but the painting aspect would be way less interesting.  You'd just stick to walls on the 2D screen.  Some other 3D gameplay elements—Tower of Hera, Ice Ruins—would get nerfed quite a bit.

Not worth it, but a fun idea to think about. =^-^=

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: September 02, 2014, 04:57:11 pm »
Okay, this is a simple idea to fix DS Naruto games: Japanese Voice Acting for the US versions of the games, SPECIALLY Shinobi Rumble (It has VA in Japanese version, but no voice acting in the american one).

Still Naruto related:
Kage Bunshin Emaki has never been translated. Last progress report was in 2008

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: September 02, 2014, 08:43:41 pm »
I have not yet looked at the ROMs in question, however before someone does it is best to ask a couple of questions. Has someone looked into the game and seen if the conventional undub method (take Japanese sdat file, use it to replace US/EU/whatever version) is possible? A lack of voice acting does often speak to other things, and not good ones; most DS games I have previously encountered that lack voice acting outside Japan tend to have extra files/formats present in the Japanese release. Such extras are usually reflected in the code and that means I would probably consider porting the translation across instead, however it is entirely possible that licensing/money/aggro caused them to ship it with a bunch of silent files instead.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: September 02, 2014, 09:01:32 pm »
I was thinking if someone could, dunno, make equipment sellable in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Especially because of how many of them I drop, I am forced to get stuck with it as I can only sell gems...

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: September 02, 2014, 11:40:20 pm »
Here's another one for the "why hasn't anyone ever tried doing this" category.

Expand the Original Final Fight ROM and add the missing content found in Final Fight Guy... or vice versa.
And while we're at it, how about restoring those two skinny dudes back to the gloriousness that is Poison and Roxy?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: September 03, 2014, 08:52:11 am »
Here's another one for the "why hasn't anyone ever tried doing this" category.

Expand the Original Final Fight ROM and add the missing content found in Final Fight Guy... or vice versa.
And while we're at it, how about restoring those two skinny dudes back to the gloriousness that is Poison and Roxy?

The Japanese version of SNES Final Fight has Poison and Roxy so I agree, plus adding in Guy. But even better would be to add them into the GBA port since they decided to use Billy and Sid in the outside Japan versions as well.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: September 03, 2014, 12:13:18 pm »
I have not yet looked at the ROMs in question, however before someone does it is best to ask a couple of questions. Has someone looked into the game and seen if the conventional undub method (take Japanese sdat file, use it to replace US/EU/whatever version) is possible? A lack of voice acting does often speak to other things, and not good ones; most DS games I have previously encountered that lack voice acting outside Japan tend to have extra files/formats present in the Japanese release. Such extras are usually reflected in the code and that means I would probably consider porting the translation across instead, however it is entirely possible that licensing/money/aggro caused them to ship it with a bunch of silent files instead.
Doubt so. since the game is faster paced, it is likely they didn't want to hire people to dub that one game outside Japan. And I think this is the only Naruto DS game that had the dub lost in translation.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: September 03, 2014, 02:23:54 pm »
The Japanese version of SNES Final Fight has Poison and Roxy so I agree, plus adding in Guy. But even better would be to add them into the GBA port since they decided to use Billy and Sid in the outside Japan versions as well.

Restoring Poison and Roxy in the GBA port should be fairly simple.
I always thought what that port needed was to have ALL of the graphics redrawn in SFA style.
As a matter of fact it might be cool to a hack that is the exact opposite of what we got.
All new graphics for everything and the original versions of Guy and Cody would be the unlockables.

manliodp

• View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: September 04, 2014, 03:03:46 pm »
Hi all,
I've a simple request cause I don't have time to learn snes cpu's asm and snes rom structure, so i kindly ask if it would be possible to hack SNES Street Fighter II Turbo with the following modifications:

Vega Backflip: ANY 2 punches  instead of 3 punches
Dhalsim Teleport: dragon punch motion + ANY 2 punches or 2 kicks instead of dragon punch motion + 3 punches or 3 kicks

Zangief's Lariats are already OK, only ANY 2 punches or ANY 2 kicks are needed
I don't understand why capcom does half-done jobs, infact in all the later street fighter console ports they've used completely this 2 buttons instead of 3 logic (pad constraints).

Thank you

Theonesuperx

• View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: September 05, 2014, 06:36:19 pm »
Hmm,

1. A Punch Out hack that you play with Mike Tyson and it called Knock Out!!

2. A Kirby Super Star hack that add Zero and Dark Matter.

3.A mega man hacks which bosses are famous celebrities/ people, or Memes like nyan cat.

4. A Super Mario Bros hack which every level is a gourmet  race level. (Kirby Super Star)

5. A Mr Nutz hacks that change/add a better final boss.

These are my ideas for now.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: September 06, 2014, 11:02:52 am »
3.A mega man hacks which bosses are famous celebrities/ people, or Memes like nyan cat.
I believe Cutman's Bad Scizzors Day has this one covered, featuring Aquaman, George W. Bush, Britney Spears, Pikachu, Kangaroo Jack, Lucky the Leprechan, and Carrot Top, with Wilford Brimley (as he appears the hack "Wilford Brimley Battle") as the villain.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: September 07, 2014, 12:47:47 am »
This is a more technical hack, but I've been playing Doki Doki Yuuenchi for the Famicom.  It's a good game, though I am not a fan of how non-player objects move.  Your player moves smoothly, while the enemies appear to be simply redrawn at a different position, which looks quite choppy at times.  It becomes especially obvious when they 'jump'.  Kick Master, also by KID, has a similar issue.  Why did they make the enemies move in such an bizarre way?  Is there a technical reason for that?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: September 07, 2014, 01:42:30 pm »
Haven't thought about this until yesterday, but we could have a Dracula's Shadow hack for Simon's Quest. The fangame plays similar to Castlevania II, but adds new elements such as larger inventory screen (showing ingredients for potions, pressages, data inside pressages, etc.), a boss fight in order to level up, ability to swap characters, modified areas, Item Crashes and much more. That would likely require ROM expansion + a lot of ASM hacking, but would certainly be worth it (since it seems Dracula Shadow's dev has gone MIA and thus any bug in it would remain unfixed).

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: September 07, 2014, 03:21:18 pm »
Hack ideas

Sweet Home: overhaul hack game into a Resident Evil game for the NES
Final Fight: Convert it into a Geronimo Stilton game where Thea (Geronimo's sister) is kidnapped and it's up to Geronimo and Trap to beat the tar outta rat thugs to save her
Popeye [NES]: Graphic upgrade (custom sprites and the works) and more levels [MMC5 most likely required]
Joy Mecha Fight: Convert it into a Kikoriki fighting game
Renegade: Fix the difficulty, return the premise to that of Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun [Avenging a severely bullied class mate] but in a more grind house tone and add new thugs to replace the dated and bad ones [save for the cross dressers]
1942: convert it  into a shoot 'em up based on the song "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" (If talented hacker does this, make a 8bit rendition of the tune for the game)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:46:48 pm by CyberFox »