News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1273084 times)

Lance

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1360 on: July 30, 2014, 08:42:54 pm »
I've heard about people who haven't played Final Fantasy 2 (the one with Firion) because of it's combat system. What if there was a hack to change the system to 1's or 4's? The game has a great story to tell.

I wonder which version would be the best to change?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: July 31, 2014, 12:02:04 pm »
I've thought of this sort of thing before myself.
It would require a fairly extensive rewrite of the game's engine, not to mention that enemies would now have to award experience thus you'd need to add that in from scratch.
Honestly, I think that this idea might be better suited to a fan game rather than a hack. But I won't say I wouldn't like to see it happen anyway. ;)

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: July 31, 2014, 12:54:05 pm »
Isn't FF2 just a modified FF1 engine? I wouldn't think reviving the experience points system would take anything to make from scratch, but I could be wrong.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: July 31, 2014, 02:06:20 pm »
People actually liked Shadow? I always thought it was the running joke of the series, which itself was not doing so good in the not being a running joke/punchline stakes.

I could almost understand some people thinking the Sonic Adventure was good worthy of some small merit but Shadow seems a step too far.

Anyway that is getting off topic.

You're not so up to date with the Sonic Fanbase, are you, Fast?

Well, also, I have a good idea here, and we sure need someone for this.

There is a SNES Tactics Ogre hack known as Chronicle Valeria. http://w11.zetaboards.com/Tactics_Ogre_Forums/topic/928443/1/

Thing is, the hack is in Japanese. The people at the Tactics Ogre Forums (Which I kinda hail from) have tried to get this translated. The hack's creator, KT, tried to translate the game himself. Problem is, he has a life just like any of us, and his time limitations forced him to give up on the translation. I'm a Tactics Ogre fan myself, and the forums have access to a Trainer that could help with the translation of this game. We only need someone that could help us translating the game.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:12:03 pm by Zero Dozer »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: July 31, 2014, 03:01:13 pm »
I've heard about people who haven't played Final Fantasy 2 (the one with Firion) because of it's combat system. What if there was a hack to change the system to 1's or 4's? The game has a great story to tell.

I wonder which version would be the best to change?

In all honesty it sounds like a worthy venture to make FFIV into an FFII demake (So FFIV actually becomes FFII... ha, ha...) FFII did have a fantastic story but its gameplay turned some people away and in essence it may not be as difficult as it may appear on the surface, but there's a few large hurdles...

Sprites, sprite editing in FFIV is convoluted because there is no auto-program to do it for us such as there is for FFVI. Actually, that's pretty much the only hurdle, now that I think about it. Sprite editing is the big one, from Battle Characters, to NPC's to Monster Graphics, it is all very complex right now because of the lack of available tools.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #1365 on: July 31, 2014, 11:42:44 pm »
In the Japanese versions of Pokemon Red, Green, and Blue, surf on the Cinnabar Island coastline did not trigger wild Pokemon.
None what so ever.

How about fixing the tile properties in English Red and Blue?

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: August 02, 2014, 05:01:01 pm »
Sprites, sprite editing in FFIV is convoluted because there is no auto-program to do it for us such as there is for FFVI. Actually, that's pretty much the only hurdle, now that I think about it. Sprite editing is the big one, from Battle Characters, to NPC's to Monster Graphics, it is all very complex right now because of the lack of available tools.
Another hurdle is the word memory mechanic, but there are feasible workarounds I suppose.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: August 03, 2014, 01:21:31 am »
I would like to see a hack for the N64 version of Super Mario 64 that adds all the new content from the DS version, the three new characters, the new levels, the new stars and the new camera system.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: August 03, 2014, 05:10:53 am »
In all honesty it sounds like a worthy venture to make FFIV into an FFII demake (So FFIV actually becomes FFII... ha, ha...) FFII did have a fantastic story but its gameplay turned some people away and in essence it may not be as difficult as it may appear on the surface, but there's a few large hurdles...

I actually really like that idea. As a matter of fact It would be interesting to take FFIV and FFV and make 16-bit versions of FFII and FFIII respectively. For that matter FFV would make a good base for the FF1 as well.

Another hurdle is the word memory mechanic, but there are feasible workarounds I suppose.

Hmmm... There is that item use mechanic in FF4. Maybe that could be reworked.

Another hurdle to overcome would be to have a magic list for each playable character. Although you could probably finagle it by having the various guest characters share a single spell list that is over written when they leave the party permanently.

And there is one thing in FFII that I'd like to see kept, the Weapon Skill system. That is one of my favorite features of the game as it is flexible yet somewhat still restrictive.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:18:18 am by Vanya »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: August 04, 2014, 10:33:22 pm »
I forgot all about the word-mechanic system. I do think that Vanya has the right thought though to use the Open Item Menu and make several key items "words" the problem as it stands with that being is where to put these "words" and how to separate them from the main inventory (because both FFIV and FFII have terrible space restrictions.) The Key Items, for the most part can act automatically. Another problem comes with the Boat. In FFIV, there is a boat, yes. But to change that into a normal vehicle is no small feat, it appears to have been designed purely for the Leaving Fabul event. Granted Chillyfeez figured out a lot of the dealings with vehicles so he could probably make the boat work in a normal fashion

Not sure what you mean by Magic Lists there Vanya. Each character does have their own magic list, it's just a matter of assigning it to them, and those who don't use magic, have no list.

In FFIV there's 13 Magic Lists and in FFII there is ?Nine? playable characters. So that shouldn't be an issue. What might be an issue is the 24 Spell Slots in each spell set, which is admittedly the normal system of things as far as FF had gone at this point (3 spells for each level) and you would need to add a custom routine for spell books... (Granted that really might not be that important since it's meant to be in FFIV's combat system for the most part).

Now, Weapon Levels I could see being a bit tricky, as there is nothing like it in the normal FFIV... 

There are several unused (As far as we're aware they're basically unused) bytes in each character's data, that might be able to contain this info. How it would be tracked though is a bit of a trouble spot.

Vajaran Nall

• The MEGA MAN /ROCKMAN GEEK (game head)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: August 05, 2014, 03:36:22 pm »
Is there anyone out there who has knowledge on the original PSX soundengine for the Mega man x games.  I want to put the fzero dream chaser theme in grizzly slashes stage. And I also need to know level and music pointers i.n Mega man x5

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: August 05, 2014, 04:14:52 pm »
I suggest looking into the psf music format. That might garner some insight.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: August 05, 2014, 09:39:43 pm »
I'm not sure if this is asking way too much or not as I have no experience in hacking PS1 games at all, but here goes.

In The Legend of Dragoon, the last new character (not counting replacements) is a former enemy named Kongol.  Now Kongol is actually pretty good as a character; he's got a decent backstory, and it results in a surprisingly complex (for the game anyway) reason for joining the party.  Which is pretty neat considering he talks all in hulk-speak.  Unfortunately the devs gave Kongol a pretty bad set of cards.  He only has three additions counting the big master one (which doesn't really even compare to the other master additions either in number of hits.  His dragoon addition is even one less hit), three spells, obtaining his Dragoon Spirit is more-or-less tacked on compared to all the others, and his stats aren't really too much to write home about outside of HP and physical stats.

My idea for a hack is pretty simple in concept: pull Kongol out of the gutter.  Revamp his stats a little, or maybe even if it's even possible bring one or two extra additions in (this game doesn't come without animations that Kongol doesn't use when he's playable; on the contrary he was rather completely different as an enemy with attacks ranging from different axe movements to hand-on-hand combos.  Heck, he even has completely different "attack grunts" that would be usable.)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: August 06, 2014, 09:37:45 am »
Someone ought to import the music from the 16-bit remake of Fantasy Zone 2 into the original 8-bit version (arcade or Master System, using the YM2612 synthesizer in the latter case, although the latter would probably be easier). The original soundtrack is honestly kind of annoying.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: August 07, 2014, 10:12:37 pm »
Speaking of music, how about expanding Harmony of Dissonance and adding in some better quality samples to replace the god awful ones that sound like they were bought off a 2$ crack whore in some back alley deal.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: August 08, 2014, 12:37:58 pm »
Speaking of music, how about expanding Harmony of Dissonance and adding in some better quality samples to replace the god awful ones that sound like they were bought off a 2$ crack whore in some back alley deal.
You do know that CV HoD was intentionally made to sound chiptuned. Whether one likes it or not depends mostly on how much they really like NES samples.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: August 08, 2014, 04:03:36 pm »
Didn't a lot of GBA games use chiptunes (Game Boy + samples) as well as a sample system like the SNES?  The most prominent example would be Phoenix Wright, since it was originally a GBA game.  Was PW's music recorded and then played back for the DS, or did it use the GBA hardware to render it?  That said, I'd like to imagine that GBA games with chiptunes were really just a continuation of the standard, and they were much more used to the GB's system than the GBA's sample system.  'retro' didn't really become a thing until the mid 2000s, when hardware generated music was finally phased out.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: August 08, 2014, 04:30:49 pm »
You do know that CV HoD was intentionally made to sound chiptuned. Whether one likes it or not depends mostly on how much they really like NES samples.

Yeah, but they did that because they ran out of RAM and had to use the GB/C sound system Nintendo left in for backwards compatibility reasons.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: August 09, 2014, 02:15:53 am »
Exactly. "Intentionally" using crappy samples because you ran out of resources is not an aesthetic decision.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: August 09, 2014, 12:06:50 pm »
Exactly. "Intentionally" using crappy samples because you ran out of resources is not an aesthetic decision.
If you think that is "crappy", you might as well never touch a GB, WS, NGP or NES game then... For they are always that kind of chiptune or worse...

Oh, well, onto ideas... But this is more of a question:
Are there any ongoing projects for Chocobo Dungeon DS translation?