News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1269520 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1180 on: April 08, 2014, 02:01:27 am »
Probably because smw is better documented and has far more tools available thus making it much easier to hack.
 not to mention a far more active community behind it.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 08, 2014, 12:58:00 pm »
This might not be the right area to put this, but does anyone know the reason why Taz-Mania for the Genesis runs at 30FPS in normal gameplay, but runs at 60 FPS on boss battles?  I find it hard to believe that this game is so poorly optimized.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 08, 2014, 03:49:32 pm »
I was not aware of anything that made the 60fps push that early on. Anyway 30 and 60 are good speeds to sync at (NTSC video being 60Hz after all) and lots of old consoles were locked to that (see also why PAL games have slowdown for the bad ports).

If the boss battles were a less intense part of the game, and that is quite possible, then it could simply be that the devs thought 60 was doable for boss battles but in normal game it might not have been doable.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 09, 2014, 03:16:14 am »
60 FPS was the norm for older games, even as old as the NES.  The only NES games that didn't run at 60 FPS were Technos games (Double Dragon, Kunio) or Micronics games (Ghouls N Ghosts, 1942).  Most games run at 60 FPS under optimal conditions (as in no induced slowdown), only because the NES' hardware works at that speed.  The Sega Genesis saw the rise of 30 FPS games, another example being Ranger-X, until it became a necessity to compromise framerate for barely passable graphics in 5th gen.  6th gen was a return to primarily 60 FPS games, then framerate took a hit again in the 7th.

As for Taz, I can't say there really is more going on in the overworld than in boss battles.  In the overworld, Taz has to avoid spiders and rock monsters that randomly walk around, as well as deal with water spouts.  There are a few helpful items scattered around, as well as the boss battle.  The boss battle is a couple of platforms where a truck runs back and forth.  I don't think the enemies would chew up that much CPU time, unless they found it absolutely necessary to keep track of all enemies on the current stage.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 09, 2014, 11:57:56 pm »
These must be dumb ideas, but:
1. New Super Mario 64. Basically, New Super Mario Bros with the maps modded after the Super Mario 64 maps but with 2D perspective.
2. Lunar Knights hack to add the Starforce quest back in OR a translation of Boktai DS Jap based on Lunar Knights (in the case that the Starforce elements are impossible to be implemented or way too hard).

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: April 10, 2014, 11:10:16 pm »
I'd love to see a script editor for Final Fantasy 5 in the style of FF3USME.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: April 11, 2014, 11:15:45 am »
Seeing that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is the latest reviewed game, how about making that game less broken and improve the stress bar parameters?

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: April 11, 2014, 02:25:20 pm »
Would a hack of Salamander where one combines the title screens of the American and Japanese versions be feasible?  For example, we hack the Japanese one which had the animated flare and star field:

And change the Japanese into "Life Force" from the American one.

That would effectively call the game "Life Force Salamander", like the European release, but I was just curious if it's at all possible.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 12, 2014, 01:42:10 am »
For the original Pokémon game, replace Pokémon with monsters from Dragon Warrior Monsters.

Vague Rant

• Deceptively cute
    • View Profile
    • Vague Rant
« Reply #1189 on: April 12, 2014, 12:10:31 pm »
I think it'd be cool to see (and reasonably easy for someone with talent to implement) a "blood fix" for Metal Slug: 2nd Mission on Neo Geo Pocket Color. Like the rest of the Metal Slug series, blood was replaced with some heretofore unknown white substance in order to tone down the violence for the international market.

The game is significantly less bloody than its home/arcade counterparts, so only powerful weapons like the shotgun actually result in blood; this makes the edits less noticeable, but it still looks weird when you do encounter it.

Now, both versions are included in the game; it's a World release, with the blood tied to the language setting on the NGPC itself. I tried to look into this myself but couldn't get the NeoPocott debugger working, so I'm posting it here instead.

The language byte is at 6F87, 00 for Japanese (blood) and 01 for English (white stuff). You'd probably want to set a read breakpoint on this address, and hopefully get a hit somewhere like on stage load or even at the point of impact for a weapon like the shotgun. You could hopefully then just nop out whatever instruction comes next. This is all best case scenario stuff though; it may be that the language byte is just read constantly and you'd have to follow (and understand) more of the code to get to the point where the blood palette is selected.
I've got nothing to say, but it's OK.
Vague Rant

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 12, 2014, 08:21:43 pm »
Maybe someone could hack this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i4Bmz0mUa8

and make it into a decent Zelda NES game rather than a horrid, glitchy Link to the Past knockoff. Of course it would probably need lots of graphics hacking as well as ASM hacking.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 12, 2014, 08:58:33 pm »
That looks pretty good. Enemy hit detection could use some work, and non-soldier enemy choice inside the castle is odd. I thought it's cool that it adds a description for each item, something the official game doesn't have. I'd rather see this being polished than making a new Zelda over it, like it was done for Final Fantasy VII.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 12, 2014, 09:09:44 pm »
At least it seems to resemble the game its ripping off, rather than Minish Cap pirate, which was another Nanjing RPG.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 12, 2014, 10:23:17 pm »
I say convert that B-I to use MMC5 and turn it into Link's Awakening.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1194 on: April 12, 2014, 10:58:01 pm »
I agree with Jeville that simply improving and translating the game would be better than spending the time and effort to clone a game that already exists.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 13, 2014, 12:35:30 pm »
Well if its a polished up version of its SNES counterpart, or a "downmake" or sorts heres what I would say needs to be done:

Have some nicer colors for Link, NPCs, Enemies etc. as well as some of the places

The hp and mp meters are wrong. HP would need to be hearts and MP should look more rounded. 

Fix some glitchy effects and enemy hit detection and collisions. Make it so that while you're fighting a boss you can't leave the room.

Proper enemies in their proper places as well as proper size ratio and mechanics of some enemies/bosses (Armos Knights are very small and don't bounce around)

Appropriate music for locations (the music just doesn't feel right) add in boss music as well as some better sound effects

The screen where you enter in your name is missing. Normally at the beginning of most Zelda games (even the NES ones) you can enter in your name and you get 3 slots to choose from.

Possibly add in effects such as the rain during the first rescue of Zelda even the dark world mirror effect can be added in (hey it was done when you go to sleep in A Nightmare on Elm Street from LJN)

Look at the dialogue from the SNES A Link to the Past and just replace all the Chinese with it.

A couple of other things here and there

A Links Awakening port to NES out of that ROM is also a fantastic idea.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:52:54 pm by johnny »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 13, 2014, 01:18:58 pm »
I like the ideas Johnny, but I think it'd be easier if you used assets from Link's Awakening and drew whatever didn't exist in LA with a similar style.  I don't think Link will have more than three colors unless you want to see flicker everywhere, so everyone will have few colors like they did in LA.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 13, 2014, 01:52:47 pm »
I like the ideas Johnny, but I think it'd be easier if you used assets from Link's Awakening and drew whatever didn't exist in LA with a similar style.  I don't think Link will have more than three colors unless you want to see flicker everywhere, so everyone will have few colors like they did in LA.

Its not as much that Link, Zelda and NPCs use 3 colors but the three colors picked to be used. In Zelda 2, Peach, Brown and Green were used as the 3 colors and it actually worked out nicely. Zelda can use White, Peach and Yellow (though in Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 she tends to wear a red dress and not a white one like in A Link to the Past).  In this pirate, the sprites just look like ghosts to me. Even some of the monsters could be enriched a little more. Its all in how its done. As much as I like the detail of the sprites, the coloring to me is just poor not to mention the sprites are already flickering. That could stand to be fixed. I think in general whether it is an Oracle of Seasons, Links Awakening remake or a polishing up the pirated demake of A Link to the Past, some things could be fixed here and there. I think the thing that bothers me the most is the game mechanics. Not to mention the music that Zelda pirate chooses to use drives me a bit nuts. Its very unzelda like and sounds way too happy.

Infidelity seems to have gotten it right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XzPGEdcPB4

I do like the look of the coloring of Link and the NPCs that he picked out as well as the functionality. But he's also done loads upon loads of work. Not so sure if someone is willing to take the time to do all that ASM work on the Chinese Pirate Hack of ALTTP.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 02:20:43 pm by johnny »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 15, 2014, 01:43:33 pm »
I sure hope Infidelity finishes what he's working on, and possibly release his work documentation as well.  This will be the closest to getting Link's Awakening on the NES, but the biggest barrier would be the dungeon screen sizes; the NES displays 256x224, while the GameBoy only does 160x144.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 15, 2014, 08:44:38 pm »
I sure hope Infidelity finishes what he's working on, and possibly release his work documentation as well.  This will be the closest to getting Link's Awakening on the NES, but the biggest barrier would be the dungeon screen sizes; the NES displays 256x224, while the GameBoy only does 160x144.

I have always been impressed by Infidelity, Optomon and several other peoples work . However, I do understand that sometimes its not the most rewarding thing to do. After a while all the work can become tiring to the point where the person gives up on what they were doing. Not to mention the fact that making a game is easier to do with all the engines and tools available that aren't related to ROM hacking and they could throw that game up onto Kickstarter and make money to boot. As much as we all seem to appreciate ROM hacking as an art, hobby, etc. I guess it becomes too much for people to deal with. When an enjoyable hobby becomes just irritating work that isn't rewarding, its understandable why people quit and say they don't want to work on a project despite throwing away all the blood, sweat and tears they put into it. 

Something I'd like to see more of are projects like Battle Kid and Bat Puncher where someone works hard on a project and can get paid for it. It actually was a nice thing to see that they were able to make money when these games got packaged with Emuya.

I guess thats my next hack idea. For someone to look at the ASM for a game and learn so they could make their own game. This way their hard work would have a return benefit such as cash or the right to have an IP of their own.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:50:23 pm by johnny »