News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI: Divergent Paths  (Read 13272 times)

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI: Divergent Paths
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2021, 01:10:53 pm »
I've been playing this off and on, enjoying it overall.  The only bug I've really encountered is the Mog graphics glitch.

While it doesn't sound like there are plans for another update, just in case if you do, here's a list of typos I've stumbled across (I'm pretty most of these are from the original game):

Three instances where "assassin is misspelled:
-He's an assasin!
-That guy's an assasin!
'Till a moment ago, an assasin sat over there!

-We're just small potatos compared (should be "potatoes")
-Maybe economy will make a recovery! (missing "the" before "economy")
-You'll never win! We'll Return this world to its people! ("return" is capitalized)

Ballzysoft Industries: Making rom hacks about once every 20 years. This decade's release: EarthBound MSU-1 Hip Hop Journey

Sarah Shinespark

• Creator of Arcana: Seal of Rimsala
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2021, 02:16:35 pm »
Yeah I figured "assasin" was vanilla text that simply didn't get touched.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2021, 03:14:33 pm »
I've been playing this off and on, enjoying it overall.  The only bug I've really encountered is the Mog graphics glitch.

While it doesn't sound like there are plans for another update, just in case if you do, here's a list of typos I've stumbled across (I'm pretty most of these are from the original game):

Three instances where "assassin is misspelled:
-He's an assasin!
-That guy's an assasin!
'Till a moment ago, an assasin sat over there!

-We're just small potatos compared (should be "potatoes")
-Maybe economy will make a recovery! (missing "the" before "economy")
-You'll never win! We'll Return this world to its people! ("return" is capitalized)

Thanks for the report. I'm considering doing a v1.2, and if so, I'll take these into account. One note is that the capital R in that last line is intentional.

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2021, 11:45:29 pm »
I'm still playing through here and there. Some more things to report if you do eventually make a v1.2:

Line spacing issue with "No"

Line break should be before Relm's name

This is technically a contraction, so an apostrophe is needed before the s.

I didn't get screenshots of it, but in the little vignettes in the WoR with Cyan and Owain, Owain says both "Yipee" and "Yippee" at different points ("Yippee" is the correct spelling).

Lastly when Locke rejoins you in the WoR after getting Phoenix, the dialogue says he's giving you an Elixir, a Flame Shield, and a Valiant Knife. When you check your inventory you actually have an X-Ether instead of an Elixir.

I'll let you know if I run into anything else.
Ballzysoft Industries: Making rom hacks about once every 20 years. This decade's release: EarthBound MSU-1 Hip Hop Journey

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2021, 11:03:53 am »
Thanks. I'm pretty sure that all of those are vanilla typos, with the exception of Relm's name. Technically, that's a vanilla typo, but the line break is in a weird place because I changed the font.

GeoX

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2021, 07:20:33 pm »
So I was really loving this mod (seriously, this is amazing work), but alas, I just ran headfirst into a weird, game-breaking bug.  This manifested itself right after I recruited Leo on Mt. Zozo.  After that, I warped outside, and everything's normal...as long as I stay on the world map.  I can even fly around on the airship if I want to.  But as soon as I enter any town or cave or anything (including switching to deck view on the airship), a text box appears in which Celes declares that "Narshe will be stained with blood regardless."  After I dismiss it, I'm frozen.  I can change the direction I'm facing (except on the airship, where I can't even do that), but I can't move or call up the menu or do anything else.  I was playing via SNES9x on an Android device, if that's relevant.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2021, 04:03:31 pm »
That is very odd. Do you have a save file you can send me?

You should be able to use any of the save files in the Extras folder to play through to the end if you want to.

Iunnrais

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2021, 04:42:55 am »
Hey, just wanted to stop in and say I *love* the story changes I've encountered so far (just the three paths so far, but I plan to keep going of course!)

I also want to say that this hack, so far, has been fully compatible with Dancing Mad (the MSU-1 audio hack), so that's a plus!

Now we just need someone to merge this with Brave New World for gameplay improvements to go along with the story improvements.  But what with Celes having Jump instead of Runic, Leo being a thing, and all the map edits and script edits, I'm betting that's not going to be a trivial merge at all... if it was just text I could probably manage it, but I don't think I could manage the assembly hacking.

Sarah Shinespark

• Creator of Arcana: Seal of Rimsala
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2021, 11:40:39 pm »
Now we just need someone to merge this with Brave New World for gameplay improvements to go along with the story improvements.  But what with Celes having Jump instead of Runic, Leo being a thing, and all the map edits and script edits, I'm betting that's not going to be a trivial merge at all... if it was just text I could probably manage it, but I don't think I could manage the assembly hacking.
I kinda remember this coming up on the NGPlus discord, you should ask to join #brave-new-world and ask around. But yeah, lots of design and balance decisions to make... let alone AI for the Vector bosses, FC escape, and how BNW is already using up a lot of monster attacks... and dialogue space... and AI space. It'd all have to be hand merged and tested. Might have more fun less effort with BNW just trying the randomizer Beyond Chaos Gaiden.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 11:52:54 pm by Sarah Shinespark »

Iunnrais

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2021, 10:07:24 am »
I bet the only way to do a merge would be to forget about maintaining ability to be used on an original cart, and expand the rom size somehow.  Alas.

That said, doing so would probably make it possible to bring back things like the old desperation attacks in addition to everything BNW offers.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2021, 10:27:58 am »
I bet the only way to do a merge would be to forget about maintaining ability to be used on an original cart, and expand the rom size somehow.  Alas.

That said, doing so would probably make it possible to bring back things like the old desperation attacks in addition to everything BNW offers.

Brave New World took a completely different approach than Divergent Paths. If someone wanted to merge them I'd be all for it, but *my* project is finished, and I'm not going to take on another project on par with Divergent Paths for quite some time. At some point in the future, after I've finished up a non-video game project I've been contracted for, I'm going to hop back into Divergent Paths to investigate some of the bugs people have been reporting. I'm guessing that most of them are patching issues (ie - people applied v1.1 on top of their already-patched v1.0), but I want to make sure.

Iunnrais

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2021, 04:42:09 am »
Oh, please don't get me wrong!  I already read in this thread how you aren't going to do this yourself, and I'm not asking you to!  It's MORE than fair to say that your project (or your part in the project) is complete (minus final bug fixes if any)!  Just hoping someone else with the skill and inclination might come along.  I'm also lamenting that my own programming skills stop at C, and don't think I have quite the head for assembler.

heyboots

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2021, 12:49:18 pm »
I just got to the Vargas fight and after actually reading the manual and seeing that you gotta do Suplex instead of Pummel, the XY⬇⬆ input doesn't seem to be working. Did the input change in the patch?

If it didn't, maybe Sabin came in too low level because I had the Moogle charm equipped after I got it in Narshe and haven't been leveling up?

EDIT: Oh it did change, I completely forgot the game tells you how to do Blitz after you do some damage to Vargas because I've always just hit him with the Blitz immediately since I've been playing this game for over three decades.