News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Downtown Nekketsu Story (River City Ransom) Localization Project  (Read 3543 times)

FANS

• View Profile
Hi. This is my first post, I hope I'm doing everything according to the forum rules.

In my first hacking experience, I was trying to translate the game Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari, AKA River City Ransom. I'm a student of Japanese, but as my knowledge of this language is still small, I've decided to take another path, using River City Ransom to restore Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari.

The first step was replace RCR name with the DNM names (Alex to Kunio, Ryan to Riki...) something successful. In this way I intend to replace all the text with the official translation (released in the collection Double Dragon & Kunio-Kun Retro Brawler Bundle).

Afterwards, I was able to replace several sprites, managing to restore Japanese student clothes to the characters. However, the colors are messy in some characters, I tried to change the palettes but in some cases, like the character Riki, he didn’t keep his clothes in the correct color.

Later I also intend to change the title screen.

I always found it curious that a game so beloved was never translated by fans, that's why I decided to do it myself. I saw that many have tried, but never finished. Maybe one day the official version will be hacked and it will be possible to run on NES / Famicom (something difficult, due to the way it was developed), but I hope to go through this translation until the end.

Being the first time I do this, I ask for opinions and help with color correction. I've seen a few older topics here on the forum, some were of great help, but they didn't solve all my doubts. Thank you for now!

Tools used:
-FCEUX
-Tile Layer Pro

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 06:57:16 pm by FANS »

Fray

• View Profile
Re: Downtown Nekketsu Story (River City Ransom) Localization Project
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 10:52:25 am »
I love this game! I played it and completed it back then. But my knowledge of English at the time was almost zero, so the story of the game was basically incomprehensible to me. But I still liked the graphics, the two player mode on some nice afternoons with my brother! So good luck and good work :thumbsup:!

Lusofonia

• My Discord: Lusofonia#3041
    • View Profile
    • Lusofonia's profile at "Fórum Unificado"
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 11:07:27 am »
Good Luck with your project dude!
I am a pancake, you should be a pancake too

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 08:41:27 pm »
This was my first hacking idea/project attempt, and I quickly dropped it in favor of something much more manageable for my level of language and programming.

If you're making the patch for the Japanese version of the game and need a tester, send me a message. I'll be glad to help  :thumbsup:
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

FANS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 04:37:49 pm »
Hello, thanks for the comments.

I've made some updates and I want to show here.

-Updated the opening with the text from japanese game plot.
-Changed the names of all characters in the game to his japanese names. Due limit of characters in names, some were abbreviated.
-Changed names of locations and schools.
-Updated some dialogues, according japanese game plot. Until now, the fight against Sawaguchi and talk with Hasebe.

There's a lot to do, but there's not so much text. Also, there's no need to change all of them, like texts from shops.

I still couldn't found a way to correct some sprites colors, if someone can help with it, please let me know!

Gameplay: https://youtu.be/pqmjHNHCR14

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 07:41:19 pm »
So basically must change the colors of the sprites frame-by-frame, right? I say this because some frames still have jeans in them.

FANS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 08:29:45 pm »
So basically must change the colors of the sprites frame-by-frame, right? I say this because some frames still have jeans in them.

Hi Lusofonia? Are you brazilian? I'm brazilian too. :)

Yes, I can't find the correct byte to change the information of palette the pants is using. I've read an old topic when a user explains this in this game:

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24414.msg338988#msg338988

With informations of the topic, I could correct some of the colors, since he post some bytes and address. But I really couldn't understand the way he discoverd the byte, he said he used Debugger option, but didn't explained how to use it. I'm trying to understand Debugger option, but no success for now. I sent a PM for him, but no answer until now.

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 06:29:30 am »
Sorry dude, I wish I could help you but I'm not an expert in these things, sorry.

Another thing: Will it be possible to restore one of the three difficulty settings? The american version has only two, as TCRF says

https://tcrf.net/River_City_Ransom#Difficulty_Select

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 08:56:35 am »
otimo trabalho, tera uma versão PT BR? eu nunca joguei esse jogo, mas agora vou querer jogar essa hack quando finalizada :thumbsup:
great job, will there be a PT BR version? I have never played this game, but now I will want to play this hack when finished.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 10:14:00 am by Flaviogames »

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 02:15:10 pm »
Can I give you a suggestion? Why don't you make the characters' names include lowercase letters? I'm saying this because the american version of RCR has every name in uppercase, and I find it kinda ugly because it looks like screaming.

great job, will there be a PT BR version? I have never played this game, but now I will want to play this hack when finished.

Perhaps? However, two versions equals twice the work involved.

FANS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 11:09:29 pm »
This was my first hacking idea/project attempt, and I quickly dropped it in favor of something much more manageable for my level of language and programming.

If you're making the patch for the Japanese version of the game and need a tester, send me a message. I'll be glad to help  :thumbsup:

When it's done, I will want your help!

otimo trabalho, tera uma versão PT BR? eu nunca joguei esse jogo, mas agora vou querer jogar essa hack quando finalizada :thumbsup:

Probably I will do!

Can I give you a suggestion? Why don't you make the characters' names include lowercase letters? I'm saying this because the american version of RCR has every name in uppercase, and I find it kinda ugly because it looks like screaming.

I already changed all names... I've made a test with all names in lower case, but it became weird, for this reason I leave as original. Also, in the official translation of PS4 compilation, it's all in uppercase. Maybe I can do a new attempt later.

I think 50% of all text are already adapted. And finally, I could manage a way to correct sprites! I've changed some of them, but there's more to correct. I still couldn't correct the start screen. The attributes are inverted and Kunio and Riki are part of background, not common sprites. If someone here knows how to correct this, please let me know!

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2021, 02:36:31 pm »
I don't like the font RCR uses, I think the one used in Crash'n the Boys Street Challenge is very similar to/the same as the one used in the PS4 rerelease, so maybe you could use that? Then again some people are nostalgic of that font so perhaps you shouldn't change it.

FANS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2021, 12:31:40 am »
The american game has upper case and lower case fonts, the japanese has only upper case and katakana. For this reason, in the PS4/Switch version, the game is all in upper case.

Also, I've tried to change some of the names to lower case and replace symbols like " to :

But the game crashed! I think I can't do so much changes without a hard knowledge.

At least I could resolve the start screen, Riki's costume is darker than in japanese version, because the color it's not available in the palette of american version. Since I could't found a way to find and change this instruction in the rom, I think this will be the a good solution.

AdamDravian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2021, 03:42:32 am »
I'm so glad you're doing this. I've been hoping someone would do this for a long time.
Writer of the '80s-themed webcomic Satan Ninja 198X

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2021, 01:31:45 pm »
The american game has upper case and lower case fonts, the japanese has only upper case and katakana. For this reason, in the PS4/Switch version, the game is all in upper case.

Yeah, but if I recall correctly Crash'n the Boys has the same uppercase letters set as the PS4 version as well as a lowercase set, so perhaps you could take it from there.

FANS

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 11:47:36 pm »
I have finished the patch and will post here, for test purposes. I've played through all the game, but I will play again in search of problems.

There's a known problem in the arm of some enemies that will be white. If I change this to the cloth color, the eye of this character changes for this color too. For this reason I couldn't change this.

The title screen will remains the same, It's a mess and almost impossible to change it only editing sprites, it would be needed a lot of changes that I can't do with my little knowledge. Also, ArcSys uses River City in the new games, I don't see any problem with the title screen.

All names and text were adapted to use the script of the PS4/Switch version.

If someone can test it (especially in 2P), please do it and inform a feedback here! Thanks!!!!

File name: River City Ransom (USA).nes
CRC32: c3508f7e
MD5: 294e4fa092db8e29d83f71e137d1f99f
SHA-1: a8612a36d9d2739d2b321b6ebb97c2757ccca410

https://www.dropbox.com/s/anxg0uj7a54suyr/River%20City%20Ransom%20%28USA%29Nekketsu%20Hack%201.0.ips?dl=0

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 09:30:00 am »
I'm gonna give this a shot when I get back from work, I had similar issues with my RCR hack with the palettes, so with some help where the offsets are I made all the clothes white, I'll make a story around it. 

I'm a big fan of this game, and I'm glad you got motivated to work on this game, thanks for sharing with us. :D  :cookie:

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 10:55:58 am »
Looks good!

One suggestion: is it possible to restore shop prices? The US version changed the yen to dollars, and that was reflected in the in-game economy as well.

FANS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2021, 12:29:07 pm »
I'm gonna give this a shot when I get back from work, I had similar issues with my RCR hack with the palettes, so with some help where the offsets are I made all the clothes white, I'll make a story around it. 

I'm a big fan of this game, and I'm glad you got motivated to work on this game, thanks for sharing with us. :D  :cookie:

Thanks!

Looks good!

One suggestion: is it possible to restore shop prices? The US version changed the yen to dollars, and that was reflected in the in-game economy as well.

I think it's something really hard to do, the currency is totally different. The easiest thing was change $ to ¥, but there isn't so much sense in it.

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2021, 12:48:12 pm »
I think it's something really hard to do, the currency is totally different. The easiest thing was change $ to ¥, but there isn't so much sense in it.
Would you at least be able to remove the decimal dot? The prices between the two will at least be more similar when it's removed.