News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: MOTHER Restored - A more faithful way to play MOTHER on the NES!  (Read 6007 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: pancakes

When MOTHER was localized into Earth Bound (later re-titled EarthBound Beginnings), it underwent unnecessary changes and censorship, as well as a script that contained errors and omitted references. These issues were resolved in 2011 by Tomato's fan translation for the GBA port of the game, which provided a more accurate and natural-sounding script.

MOTHER Restored brings the fan translation to the NES and reverts the graphical changes made during localization for fans who want to play a more faithful version of the original game, which boasts higher audio quality than its GBA counterpart.

Unlike previous attempts to replace EarthBound Beginnings' dialogue, this hack repoints virtually all of the text in the game. This allowed the fan translation to be included in its entirety without any cuts to dialogue, battle text, or descriptions. To make the game even more faithful, names of characters, locations, items and more have been made as close to the Japanese version as possible. Graphics that were altered during localization, whether due to censorship or any other reason, have also been restored so that they can be experienced exactly as they were intended.

Overall, the goal of this hack is to offer a more authentic way to play MOTHER in English on its original console.

Please visit the project page here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5923/ and enjoy!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
I'm gonna have to try this out, baby! :D :cookie:

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
To be honest, regarding the sprite changes between Japan and the West, I once saw on The Cutting Room Floor that the Wii U rerelease of EarthBound Beginnings had some of the originally altered sprites unchanged from the Japanese Famicom version compared to the unreleased-yet-completed English NES version.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
There are just way too many of these hacks for MOTHER and Final Fantasy game claiming to be "the one true, faithful translation and the like.

Would all you nerds just put your noggins together and actually make a "one true hack" to rule them all?  I'm sure most of you are reasonable people who work well with others!  If not, there's always the bribery route…
You'd be surprised how effective a free pizza coupon can be~!  (;

FCandChill

• View Profile
There are just way too many of these hacks for MOTHER and Final Fantasy game claiming to be "the one true, faithful translation and the like.

There's all of these Final Fantasy retranslations, and yet there's not a retranslation for Final Fantasy I. A localization prototype was released recently released that reveals some content was changed...

https://tcrf.net/Proto:Final_Fantasy

I can only assume one never materialized because FF Hackster doesn't support ever single line of text.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 10:10:40 am by FCandChill »

Green Jerry

• View Profile
There's all of these Final Fantasy retranslations, and yet there's not a retranslation for Final Fantasy I.
Uh, there is one, Chaos Rush made a translation of the Japanese version of the game
My latest Portuguese translation: Contra (NES) Japanese Version
New Title Screen Addendums! Goemon 1 and Goemon 2

FCandChill

• View Profile
Uh, there is one, Chaos Rush made a translation of the Japanese version of the game

Wow... that's pretty neat. Thanks. I never would've though that it would be retranslated after all these years.

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
This looks very promising! I'm always interested in some translation improvements, so I'll be looking forward to giving this a try soon.

KobaBeach

• bad smw asm hacker, bad programmer (he/they)
    • View Profile
    • a little house in the savannah
Since this is basically Tomato's translation with Japanese terms I'm glad it's a translation made with experience. I, myself, am a fan of the English prototype's localization though, so names like Spookane, Podunk etc have some nostalgia for me. I'll play MOTHER 1+2 for that I suppose, it even has difficulty nerfing mode if I'm not mistaken.

My biggest problem is that a lot of them do it out of spite for the original translator, who most likely didn't have the context or tools available that people these days do and then try to make it like a super dry, literal, stilted translation which I feel isn't an ideal way to translate. There's a lot of nuance in language and words, and yeeting Japanese straight into English doesn't really work the same way say, Spanish and Portuguese would. A lot of the times, decent writing ability is necessary to make it flow as close as you can to the original Japanese text, as direct, 1 to 1 translations usually don't do it as much justice.

Pointing this out though: Fully literal =/= ideal is my opinion, debates on localization and translation are literally endless outside of like anime fan pedantry, it's been going on since time immemorial for ancient literature. I'd wager that translation is an art and not a science, so "wrong ways" aren't really much of a thing outside of like Pokémon Diamond and Jade. You (yes you reading this thread) are more than free to disagree with me.

I know this is a joke post but I just had to soapbox srry

Continuing the earlier posts, Chaos Rush's retranslations of FF1-3 seem perfectly serviceable, and I think a 4 re-translation and maybe a touch up of 5 should be alright if we want to stick to SNES games, I think 6 is mostly alright apart from the cliff scene and other requisite censorship because Papa Ninty. 7 desperately needs a retranslation that doesn't go full on Avalanche-gumi, not sure if anyone's working on any, I think they were, for the Eidos PC port, but not sure. 2 lazy 2 look up (º﹃º)
replace my bones with pocky and throw me down a stairwell

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
I kind of agree. I'd like to finally play through Mother at some point, but the options keep multiplying. The only thing that's clear is that the GBA version is probably not the way to go due to the musical downgrade.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

lan-vuhoang

• View Profile
Just need some way to insert the EarthBound Beginnings title screen from the Earthbound Beginnings: Consistent Version hack in here and it would have been perfect.

pancakes

• View Profile

Would all you nerds just put your noggins together and actually make a "one true hack" to rule them all?  I'm sure most of you are reasonable people who work well with others!  If not, there's always the bribery route…
You'd be surprised how effective a free pizza coupon can be~!  (;

I kind of agree. I'd like to finally play through Mother at some point, but the options keep multiplying. The only thing that's clear is that the GBA version is probably not the way to go due to the musical downgrade.

Well, there are really only two translations for MOTHER, the official one and Tomato's. My patch only changes the names of a number of enemies and items that Tomato renamed to match EarthBound, as well as the zoo. The dialogue itself is unchanged from his translation.

Everyone has their own preferred way of handling things, and no one will ever agree completely, but that's the beauty of ROM hacking. You can make your own changes to suit your preferences.

Kallisto

• View Profile
I think its just a lack of awareness of other games that require some modifications because usually the popular titles overshadow others.

There is still games that hasn't been fully documented via TCRF on whether or not if content needs to be restored.

lan-vuhoang

• View Profile
I have some more suggestions:
1. Original weapon and enemy names (Plastic Bat, Wooden Bat, Wally, etc.)
2. EarthBound-esque battle text (<number> HP of damage to <enemy>, etc.)
3. Add the diamond after each button prompt in the dialogue.
4. <enemy> became quiet! Yeah, I understand that <enemy> became tame is meant to be referencing EarthBound, but I still kinda prefer <enemy> became quiet.
5. Make the ATM machines have text that are similar to the US version of EarthBound.
Also, I feel like hacks like this definitely has some time getting used to with a walkthrough due to its changed names.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:10:28 pm by lan-vuhoang »

vince94

• View Profile
It looks like the Sky Yddet is now "Sky Kuma" which isn't even accurate to the original's "Sky Bearu." Wally is now "Older Man", the Bag Lady is now "Older Lady", and the Hippie is now "Young Man"... These kinds of changes just make stuff not as fun/take you out of the experience imo.
I think that a lot of these kinds of hacks are "okay here's my ideal customized version of this game that I personally would want to play" and that's cool, just... This one's not for me. That said, how did you repoint the text? Did you create a script dumping/insertion tool? This seems to be the first hack you've posted and something on this level is impressive for a first hack. I attempted a hack kind of like this around 2012/2013 and manual repointing was extremely hard.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 11:46:46 am by vince94 »

pancakes

• View Profile
It looks like the Sky Yddet is now "Sky Kuma" which isn't even accurate to the original's "Sky Bearu." Wally is now "Older Man", the Bag Lady is now "Older Lady", and the Hippie is now "Young Man"... Some of these changes just make stuff not as fun/take you out of the experience imo.
I think that a lot of these kinds of hacks are "okay here's my ideal customized version of this game that I personally would want to play" and that's cool, just... This one's not for me. That said, how did you repoint the text? Did you create a script dumping/insertion tool? This seems to be the first hack you've posted and something on this level is impressive for a first hack. I attempted a hack kind of like this around 2012/2013 and manual repointing was extremely hard.

In the Japanese version, bears go by the Japanese word for bear (Kuma) on the overworld, and become the English word in Magicant (Bear and Sky Bear). Because of this, I've just reversed them for English. I felt like this would be a more accurate way to handle the names. If I made it Bear, then there'd be two enemies in the game with the same name. I understood while making these changes that there'd be people who wouldn't like them, especially for enemies like the hippie, but my goal was to make the names as close to what Itoi named them as possible.

Yes, I dumped and re-inserted the text.

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
I dunno how well known it is but there are other gameplay differences between Mother 1 and EB0 that should be taken into account too. One quick example that comes to mind is this: https://earthboundcentral.com/2011/02/eb0-vs-m1-magicant-caves/

pancakes

• View Profile
I dunno how well known it is but there are other gameplay differences between Mother 1 and EB0 that should be taken into account too. One quick example that comes to mind is this: https://earthboundcentral.com/2011/02/eb0-vs-m1-magicant-caves/

Yeah, there's actually a lot of really minor differences as well. I've opted to keep the big ones like the run button, descriptions, and the revised ending since they're such good improvements, but I could definitely try implementing stuff like the original maps.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
Hello! I played just a bit of your hack and came across a few issues. I thought I'd point them out, as I think that there's probably a lot of additional ones that you may want to root out.

"that could" from line 2 here could fit on line 1.

"by the" here from line 3 could fit on line 2. Then "soars the" could be moved up as well.

Worn-OutBat here looks pretty messy. I imagine this might be a character restriction issue, but something like Worn Bat or Shabby Bat would come across a lot better than combining Out and Bat into one word.

Here, I was seeing an odd issue where Ninten's HP box became a solid, non-flashing blue for the remainder of the battle. Seems like some kind of glitch, although I might be wrong.

That's probably all I'm going to play for now, so I recommend you give the game a playthrough with those kinds of things in mind. The little details matter!

pancakes

• View Profile
Hello! I played just a bit of your hack and came across a few issues. I thought I'd point them out, as I think that there's probably a lot of additional ones that you may want to root out.

I intentionally put breaks in those places in order to make the text read more naturally, rather than just fit in all the text that I could. I actually played through a number of times, obsessing over little things like that, but it's hard to determine the best method of handling it. Having the dialogue pause on words like "by the" doesn't seem right to me.

Worn-OutBat here looks pretty messy. I imagine this might be a character restriction issue, but something like Worn Bat or Shabby Bat would come across a lot better than combining Out and Bat into one word.

There's items in every version of this game that had to be reduced or merged into one word to fit into the 11 character limit, but I'll consider changing it to Worn Bat for the next update.

Here, I was seeing an odd issue where Ninten's HP box became a solid, non-flashing blue for the remainder of the battle. Seems like some kind of glitch, although I might be wrong.

That's normal game behaviour, HP turns blue when it's low.