News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Racing Lagoon PS1 English Translation Project  (Read 6775 times)

HilltopWorks

• View Profile
Racing Lagoon PS1 English Translation Project
« on: May 23, 2021, 10:38:48 pm »
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwTHKuMXOdc

I've finished Dr. Slump and I'm moving onto my next game. Racing Lagoon is a very highly requested game and I'm very excited to be working on it. Stay tuned for updates!

Grillkick

• View Profile
Re: Racing Lagoon PS1 English Translation Project
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 12:28:13 am »
I just checked out the video preview- WOW! This looks absolutely killer, keep it up!

EpicDave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 09:02:58 am »
Whoa! I never heard of this game but after watching that trailer and some gameplay not to mention squaresoft?! I'm in man. I'm excited. Thank you!

Farlight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 09:49:35 am »
 ;D Looking forward to it!  Had not tried this game before but looks quite good.

Great work on Dr. Slump!  Been playing it slowly and am up to chapter/lv 4.  Since I wasn't familiar with the series I tracked down the manga and 80's anime.  Hilarious stuff :D.  Many thanks to giving it attention. 

Goznog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 01:10:01 pm »
I noticed the font here looks about the same as what's in the original, which is good compared to most other JP games' handling of English characters, but the spaces are just a bit too wide (apostrophes too).
are you going to adjust the width by the time the final release is out?

also I've heard that the script is written in a pretty funky and strange way, and is one of the most memorable parts of the game for JP players. looking forward to seeing how your translation tries to convey that! best of luck :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:23:38 pm by Goznog »

TimeCop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 07:03:14 pm »
Cool stuff. I specifically did not play this game and the Touge Max series because it has a story mode that I couldn't follow.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 09:03:15 pm »
Asking for Patreon money in regards to a fan translation is pretty scummy in addition to the fact it is just asking for legal trouble.

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 10:41:42 pm »
Asking for Patreon money in regards to a fan translation is pretty scummy in addition to the fact it is just asking for legal trouble.

I dont see what the problem is (in regards to scummy practices) when he's obviously put a lot of time and effort into a promising initial look at his translation so far, not to mention his work on Dr. Slump. I would agree with you that he might not want to do it because of legal issues, but it's really not that bad ethically.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Grillkick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 11:19:31 pm »
I don't see any issue at all with having a Patreon while translating a game. He's just giving people the opportunity to support what he does. If he was charging money to download the translation, well then that would be a whole other situation.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 01:18:48 am »
I don't see any issue at all with having a Patreon while translating a game. He's just giving people the opportunity to support what he does. If he was charging money to download the translation, well then that would be a whole other situation.

It is a "very" grey area at best. I'd actually advocate for divorcing money from the process in all instances, just to be safe. Fan-translation community is mostly left alone by the devs/publishers because: a) it generates additional sales for the company/hype; b) usually games are old enough not to be sold commercially anymore, so the copyright holders don't care as much; c) there's no money involved. It happens rarely for the devs to take something down, but... it happened with Squaresoft (Final Fantasy Type-0; sure, it was new at the time, but still), so I'm a bit worried about Squaresoft in this case as well, but I hope I'm wrong, because it would really be cool to see this one translated.

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 06:56:57 am »
Thank you for taking on Ps1 translation projects. I remember reading about this squaresoft racing rpg game a long time ago in the PSM magazine and was intrigued by it.

There’s so many rare gems that never left Japan. Have you heard of Athena: Awakening from the Ordinary Life?
https://youtu.be/3M0OPCF3JRc

This has some of the best graphics and FMV cut scenes I’ve seen on the PS1. Hopefully it’s something you’ll consider translating in the future.

Your work is highly appreciated. Thank you for devoting endless hours into it. If you don’t do it no one else will so screw the haters

If someone put a lot of time and energy into a project and there’s people willing to donate and contribute then I don’t see a problem with it especially if the games are obscure 30 year old titles that are lost in time
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:06:10 am by ponlork »

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 07:09:23 am »
Final Fantasy Type-0
Translation that competed with an official localization, that had a lot of hostility against it from game journalists and some audiences, leading to its Achilles' heel being quickly exposed - the team lead was maintaining many patches on the same blog that convert multi-disc PSP games by Square Enix to a single UMD ISO, Final Fantasy Type-0 included, and as it turns out that included significant prepatched portions in the patch data.
Then one of the haters programmed a tool that converts the translation patch to a working ISO (the patch used to require the legally ripped UMD image), and then urged Square Enix to act against this ongoing "piracy".

As for the other Chrono Trigger related patches, it was collateral damage from a site takedown aimed at the 3D remake. Which began as a fan game, but then the fangame developer went to E3 and started asking around other Western publishers to publish the remake. Square Enix certainly disagreed with the notion that it's abandonware, and the rest is well documented.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 07:38:14 am »
Asking for money for a fan translation, somewhat, I think is okay as long as the entire project isn't based on having that money. My biggest gripe, however, is in the tier 2 patron bit: "Get access to hidden developer secrets left behind by the programmers and other development oddities."

So you would have to pay to see possibly unused stuff and other amends from the original developers? That's a bit sketchy right there.

Otherwise, I've never heard of this game before and I'm curious to see what this is all about. Would never have known about it if this project didn't exist.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:45:16 am by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 12:28:13 pm »
I would definitely pay for a Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special translation patch, no one has ever translated this controvertial game, just saying. ::)

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 03:49:36 pm »
Looks like a blast! I'd never heard of this before, and considering how quickly you turned out Dr. Slump, I'm hoping to play this in the near future! You're making quite a name for yourself of late, and I look forward to seeing all the great works you bring to the English-speaking world!

(Here's hoping you might pick up The Mystic Dragoons for PS1, since it's gorgeous and doesn't have a story translation!)

KobaBeach

• bad smw asm hacker, bad programmer (he/they)
    • View Profile
    • a little house in the savannah
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 07:23:54 pm »
I've actually heard of this game before and it's completely insane. It's infamous in Japan for having a completely bonkers story. It starts as your run of the mill Initial D/early Fast and Furious-style street racing drama, but also involving drug usage, then starts adding existential drama about the self, from what I can gather. Also the script is chaotic, several terms are either in ALL CAPS ENGLISH or Normal English or BothOFEM and its a very unique presentation. I'm looking forward to playing it sometime, despite being terrible at non-kart racers.
replace my bones with pocky and throw me down a stairwell

HilltopWorks

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 09:22:37 pm »
I noticed the font here looks about the same as what's in the original, which is good compared to most other JP games' handling of English characters, but the spaces are just a bit too wide (apostrophes too).
are you going to adjust the width by the time the final release is out?

also I've heard that the script is written in a pretty funky and strange way, and is one of the most memorable parts of the game for JP players. looking forward to seeing how your translation tries to convey that! best of luck :)

I've just solved the spacing issue.

Top = After, Bottom = Before

OldSchoolGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2021, 10:33:52 am »
Just wanted to post to add my thanks for taking on PSX translation projects as well as for taking on this game as i would very much like to understand its story and have played some races in it enjoying the gameplay overall. This game definitely is interesting and fun overall IMO. I am very fond of the PSX and there are ALOT of PSX games I would love to see translated and be able to understand/play.

Have you ever heard of Soukaigi? Its a action rpg by squaresoft that was done by a very small team assembled to try something new. Its gameplay is clunky and frustrating nothing to write home about, but its music is really quite good. Materia is also interestingly a part of the game. I hope someone translates the story/game someday as while being mediocre I believe its story could be interesting enough to warrant a translation. There is also a visual novel like horror game called Heisa Byuuin I believe with a plot that seems interesting from what I read about it. There is also a wacky Pig training and racing game called Butagee: Deiin jyanai? id like to see get attention someday as well as another interesting game with little text called Welcome Home.

Best of luck on Racing Lagoon! I cant wait till it is playable and am interested in what other games you are considering working on as with Dr. Slump and now Racing Lagoon I really like your choices in games to work on and translate. I am also enjoying Dr.Slump so thank you very much for your hard work on that. It was a game I personally had no knowledge existed and I have always liked and played imports of all different kinds that either never got released here or that were but had stuff exclusive to the japanese release. Once again, keep up the good work, best of luck on your current project(Racing Lagoon) and Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2021, 04:59:20 pm »
Woah! Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special is in that list! :o