News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: I Need Help for Red and Green Koopa Color Palette (SMB3)  (Read 634 times)

Ridley X

• View Profile
I Need Help for Red and Green Koopa Color Palette (SMB3)
« on: May 20, 2021, 08:54:38 pm »
i need help, where can i find the values in the hex editor for the color palette for the red and green koopa, i want to make them completely red and green without the orange.

got a link for a picture, the shy guy looks weird with the orange

https://ridleyx.weebly.com/uploads/7/2/0/2/72025023/smb3test-0_orig.png

Quick Curly

• View Profile
Re: I Need Help for Red and Green Koopa Color Palette (SMB3)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 11:48:03 am »
Hello, Ridley X. I tried to take a look. Hopefully these findings are relevant.
There is code that overwrites the palette attributes for the heads and feet of the Koopas.
Assuming that you are modifying the "(U) (PRG1) [!]" version of the game, 0x09529 and 0x0959C in the ROM file are these values. The original values for both are 03. You can modify these accordingly to the values you wish (with the options being 00, 01, 02, or 03). The following image provides a visual of these values in the hex editor, the PPU Viewer to provide the palette options, and how the different Koopas are affected.

These values affect the Green and Red Koopas, and not the Giant Koopas. However, they are shared between the Green and Red Koopas.
Since, by the sounds of it, you want the unique colours to match respectively for both the Green and Red Koopas, instead of modifying the values directly, you might have to disable these lines of instructions within the code. As a result, the Green Koopa will use the third quarter of the sprite palette ("02", as seen in the image) for all of its body parts, and the Red Koopa will use the second quarter of the sprite palette ("01", as seen in the image) for all of its body parts.

If this would be the specific change that you need, then perform these modifications in the ROM file.
Change "29 FC 09 03" to "EA EA EA EA" at 0x09526-0x09529 (0x4) in the ROM file.
Change "29 FC 09 03" to "EA EA EA EA" at 0x09599-0x0959C (0x4) in the ROM file.

Please confirm if this does what you need it to do, or otherwise, you might have to play around with this code accordingly (if you need only one of those two strings disabled, and/or a combination of direct modifications and overwritten code, etc.) and/or hopefully I or someone else can try to take another look at things with you to try to better figure out what else might need to be done to get it working.

Best of luck.

Ridley X

• View Profile
Re: I Need Help for Red and Green Koopa Color Palette (SMB3)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 01:18:57 pm »
Thank you, it works!  :thumbsup:
that's exactly how I wanted it

but how do you find out?