News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Zelda Kong I-IV  (Read 2361 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Zelda Kong I-IV
« on: May 20, 2021, 03:10:56 pm »

Update By: Zero Meaning

To celebrate Donkey Kong's 40th and The Legend Of Zelda's 35th anniversary, Zero Meaning has created Zelda Kong I-IV. As the name suggests, this is actually a series of hacks that alters Donkey Kong to look like the first Zelda title. At first, this began as one hack featuring Link saving the princess, with a second version flip-flopping the trope to have Zelda rescuing Link. Ideas ran rampant, and what was a small side project became something much more.

Playable characters are Link, Zelda, Moblin, and Zol. DK has been replaced with Ganon (and the injured palette swap), a giant 8-bit Link, and Digdogger. Expect to see plenty of enemies from your travels in Hyrule, including NPCs like the Old Man in Moblin mode!

These hacks exist for both:
-The NES port: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5934/
-The Original Edition which adds in the pie/cement level: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5931/

A video longplay without commentary can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPekz_VyJlw

If you enjoyed these hacks, there's much more to come. Expect a set of sequels soon!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Zelda Kong I-IV
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 12:25:38 am »
Huh. I was too busy waiting for the imminent barrage of Groose-related stuff on social media (which I'm staying away from, mind you) and waiting on the reveal of the BotW sequel's real name to notice that the arcade game turned 40 this year. The only time, I think, Nintendo acknowledged an anniversary for Donkey Kong was for the anniversary of the 1994 SNES game that they developed with Rare.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 04:22:27 pm »
The giant link with NPC as barrels is hilarious

Zero Meaning

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 05:35:03 pm »
The giant link with NPC as barrels is hilarious
Thanks! You can definitely tell I was having more fun the further along I got.

The only time, I think, Nintendo acknowledged an anniversary for Donkey Kong was for the anniversary of the 1994 SNES game that they developed with Rare.
It's so disappointing that Nintendo won't do anything new with their old properties. They thrive on selling nostalgia yet just re-release the same tired games over and over again. When they make a new game, it always needs some unique gimmick, many of which don't age well or are tied to the hardware they're made for.
They could so easily make sequels to almost every classic game using new assets in the style of the old. The original games were made by teams of usually less than 10 people. Now that they're a larger company, it feels almost disrespectful that they don't even set aside a few people on a 'classic games' team. And many of the old franchises are dying not only because they're so underused but also since they're never celebrated on their anniversaries. Genre-defining pillars of the company like Donkey Kong, Metroid, Kid Icarus, etc are becoming forgotten. ROM hackers have them beat, yet they're rewarded with DMCAs for their hard work. The whole situation is quite sad.

The 'SP' versions on Switch are absolutely pathetic excuses for updates. Not to mention the 3D All-Stars debacle. Seems that the Skyward Sword remake also won't address many of the problems the original game had. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 02:22:26 am »
Genre-defining pillars of the company like Donkey Kong, Metroid, Kid Icarus, etc are becoming forgotten.
In all honesty, though, there IS a special event happening in Smash Ultimate regarding not just Zelda's 35th Anniversary, but also those of Kid Icarus, Metroid, and even the third-party games Dragon Quest and Castlevania. So, perhaps, all is not lost.

Who knows? Maybe a new Mario vs. Donkey Kong, a possible Dragon Quest XII, a new Castlevania or Bloodstained game, Metroid Prime 4, a new Kid Icarus by Sora Ltd., and the finalized title for the Breath of the Wild sequel might be revealed at E3 in a couple of weeks.