News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The "Non Compliant Rules" need to be updated  (Read 744 times)

DonPatchi

• View Profile
The "Non Compliant Rules" need to be updated
« on: May 16, 2021, 03:47:00 pm »
Hello, i spend a lot of time on the database.
The other day i notice something curious.
A person registered, never posted anything and submitted a patch and never logged back again.
I checked the hash of this hack because it didn't do what it said.
And i realized it matched the hash of another existing hack (which he claimed his was based on).
When in reality it wasn't just based on, it was the same file, an exact copy.

So i flagged it as non-compliant.

And to my surprise i was rejected. "This is not a valid reason to remove something". I'm told.
Well, if this is not a valid reason then there are no valid reasons i'm afraid.

I'm pretty sure, if people or bots wanted could fill the database with similar entries. What is our protection to this?

None.

"You can remove the file and write a note in the description saying the patch is missing"

It seemed very little so i did that the bare minimum allowed by the mod.

Which leads to my second surprise: They allowed the note, but reinstated the file.

Well then, that's not optimal you see. People keeps downloading a "fake" patch believing it is something it's not. The author is MIA. And the rules won't let me do anything about it.

I know my opinion is worth absolutely 0 or less. But heck this is such a turn off, it makes you want to not report anything at all.

Could someone from higher up maybe think about this? here's the link https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5898/...

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
Re: The "Non Compliant Rules" need to be updated
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 06:37:30 pm »
People keeps downloading a "fake" patch believing it is something it's not. The author is MIA. And the rules won't let me do anything about it.

For the benefit of anybody else who might experience some confusion:

• Flag as Non-complaint: This button is used to notify staff of a hack (or translation, utility, homebrew, etc.) wherein the work itself violates our policies. Examples include beta/demo versions of a hack, cheat hacks, and commercial work. In other words, something that's not allowed on the site. If staff finds your claim to have merit, the content will be removed in its entirety.
  • Edit Entry: This is the button to address all other problems. If you identify an error on a page (bad checksums, wrong patch uploaded, non-compliant screenshots) it'd be very much appreciated if you correct it yourself, as we are a community maintained site. However, if you are unable or unwilling to do so, you should contact the author, the original submitter, or as a last resort, you may use the Contact Staff link to inform staff so that they may address the issue.

This includes situations where there was a problem with the patch that was uploaded. Wrong version? Wrong patch entirely? Corrupt archive? That doesn't mean that the hack isn't allowed here, it means the hack entry needs to be fixed. If the proper patch can't be uploaded (either because it can't be found or because its license does not permit us to host it), the problematic download link can be removed and an explanation of the situation can be added to the description. Again, if you can't do this yourself, please refer the problem to the author or to staff.

The main point here is that Flag as Non-Complaint is for policy violations, and any other errors should be handled by correcting them to the extent possible. If you do flag something as non-compliant, it'll be very helpful if you can clearly articulate which policy is being violated.

Which leads to my second surprise: They allowed the note, but reinstated the file.

This sounds like a mistake on our part. When we make a mistake, just let us know via the Contact Staff link and we'll try to correct it. Sorry about the mixup! I've submitted another correction.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Re: The "Non Compliant Rules" need to be updated
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 03:13:37 pm »
As such, I simply contacted the author and they provided me with the corrected patch. The entry has been updated accordingly. :)

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5898/
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations