News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Graphics] Mean Bean Machine (Mega Drive) - Help with editing fonts  (Read 683 times)

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
So I need some help editing the fonts for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Machine Spanish translation: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=31115.0

Anyone who helps out, I will make sure your name appears in the credits:

So while discussing with Jate (Spanish European translator), we found a suitable translation for GAME OVER. It was difficult, as it had to be 8 letters or less. We found SE ACABÓ (IT'S OVER) worked really well.

This meant I had to figure out how to modify the GAME OVER font. Wasn't too hard, and you can see the modifications in these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biYQHHFNACI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXyy2p5cyyQ

So GAME OVER appears on the CONTINUE screen. Each letter is a sprite that rotates in a circle, goes off screen, and then falls into a certain position (which I can control).

Now since only the letters G A M E O V R have been created, I need help in creating S C B Ó

Each letter is 24x24, but I have made the Ó 24x32 so the O doesn't have to be squashed.

The second GAME OVER appears on the playing field.

This one is a pain because it is made up of 3 frames where the font shrinks in size.

The first frame is made up of the 8x16 letters, while the other two frames use unique graphics. These need modifying to say: SE ACABÓ
For the Ó, the purple area indicates the space you can use for the accent / , so the o doesn't have to be squashed.
If anyone wants to attempt making the : look better, go ahead. :)

On the PASSWORD screen, when you enter a correct password, FÁCIL, NORMAL, DIFÍCIL, & MUY DIFÍCIL appear.

These use sprites, which does mean I can control the size of them. At the moment, they are 16x16, with a shadow appearing behind. This is what is used at the moment:

I feel a better job could be done for the Á and Í letters. I can easily make these letters size 16x24 so they don't have to be squashed.

Finally, on the HIGH SCORE screen, MODO HISTORIA and MODO PRÁCTIA appear at the bottom.

Now these are stored as background tiles, and have to be 16x16 in size. So the Á would have to be that size.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:13:56 pm by RadioTails »

Jate

• View Profile
See if this helps you

Now since only the letters G A M E O V R have been created, I need help in creating S C B Ó

Each letter is 24x24, but I have made the Ó 24x32 so the O doesn't have to be squashed.

it could look like this:

The second GAME OVER appears on the playing field.

This one is a pain because it is made up of 3 frames where the font shrinks in size.

The first frame is made up of the 8x16 letters, while the other two frames use unique graphics. These need modifying to say: SE ACABÓ
For the Ó, the purple area indicates the space you can use for the accent / , so the o doesn't have to be squashed.
If anyone wants to attempt making the : look better, go ahead. :)

it could look like this:

On the PASSWORD screen, when you enter a correct password, FÁCIL, NORMAL, DIFÍCIL, & MUY DIFÍCIL appear.

These use sprites, which does mean I can control the size of them. At the moment, they are 16x16, with a shadow appearing behind. This is what is used at the moment:

I feel a better job could be done for the Á and Í letters. I can easily make these letters size 16x24 so they don't have to be squashed.

If you want, I could do a test with 16x24 ...

Finally, on the HIGH SCORE screen, MODO HISTORIA and MODO PRÁCTIA appear at the bottom.

Now these are stored as background tiles, and have to be 16x16 in size. So the Á would have to be that size.

I have done some testing with the accented A to 16X16.
In the first option I have tried to simulate that the accent rests on the A (since they are letters it seems malleable)
and in options 2 and 3 I have tried to simulate that the A tries to avoid the accent.

it could look like this:

RadioTails

• View Profile
Thanks Jate.

That's pretty good, but I feel the S could be a bit more round like the G. Let me have a play with it.

As for these suggestions:

I do like the acute you have used on the first Á, so I may use that but with squashed A for MODO PRÁCTICA. The password difficultly text I will make larger.

As for the 8x16 font, this is what I have done:

In game:

Not bad if I don't say so myself. :)

May 23, 2021, 05:49:39 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I made the acute more straight, which looks much better now:

Now to edit the 24x24 Game Over fonts.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 05:49:41 pm by RadioTails »

Jate

• View Profile

In game:

I think the accent should be shifted a little to the right so that it starts in the centre of the letter, as in the other stressed vowels.

I made the acute more straight, which looks much better now:

Now to edit the 24x24 Game Over fonts.

:thumbsup:

RadioTails

• View Profile
I shifted the accent on the O as suggested by Jate.

Jate

• View Profile
I shifted the accent on the O as suggested by Jate.

:thumbsup:

RadioTails

• View Profile
So I've modified the large Game Over letters. I need to make some minor adjustments, but they look pretty good.

Here's what it looks like in game: