News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - New Translation Released  (Read 2765 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Polinym

AT FIRST, THERE ARE DARK DRAGON, FALCION SWORD AND...

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, also known as Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi, Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light, Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light, and even Emblema de Fuego, has received a new translation by Polinym. This translation aims to remain as faithful as possible to Shouzou Kaga's original Japanese creation.

This project began as Polinym was experimenting with a ROMHack fan-game of the original Japanese game in late November 2020. Some basic translation work was done, but only the first level was completed. Then, when the surprise announcement from Nintendo about a temporary Switch "translation" being released, he scrapped the project. Much later, at the start of Aprial, some experiments in ASM hacking led to a reboot of the project which culminated in this release.

The main objective being accuracy, this translation preserves as much of the original Japanese names as possible, using the official localized terminology wherever accurate and appropriate. The script featured in the Mystery of the Emblem Book 1 port (Polinym's personal favorite, the 2008 fan translation by RPGuy96 and VincentASM) was heavily used as a reference, checked against the original Japanese text of the Famicom game, and slightly edited on occasion for accuracy's sake. The previous fan translation and Switch "translation" were also used for reference.

The main advantage of this new translation is expanded text windows and a compressed script, which allows the text to be almost completely unabridged compared to previous fan translations.

Also, Polinym created a trailer to showcase the release of this new translation, which can be found here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnKVYKa7-MM), or in the Related Link.

Take up the blade of light Falchion once again as Prince Mars of Aritia! Liberate your homeland from the evil Durhua Empire and vanquish the Shadow Dragon Mediuth! This translation is a celebration of the first Fire Emblem game. But, celebrations don't need to end on an arbitrary date to boost sales. The new version of the game for English speaking audiences will be available for download until the end of time.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
The translation kind of reminds me of the first-ever English Fire Emblem translation, though it wasn't a video game, but a full-length anime, where Marth's name is translated and dubbed as Mars.

Green Jerry

• View Profile
For whatever reason, you put the release date of the translation the same as the game's release date (20 April 1990)
My latest Portuguese translation:
Don Doko Don 2 (NES)

Polinym

• View Profile
For whatever reason, you put the release date of the translation the same as the game's release date (20 April 1990)
Whoops! Guess I'd better fix that. I'll include that when I get around to fixing a few other things. I also recently noticed that I left in one instance of "Rena" instead of "Lena".
"Where are you going, soldier? Get back to the battle!" - Some Battlefront Clone
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqSB4xw29TTKlia5E0NYtQ

VegGameHead

• View Profile
This looks lovely, thank you!  I bought the Switch version, but I haven't played it yet.  I might give this a go first!

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Looks pretty cool, I'm gonna have to try this baby out! :D

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
So, is there a reason why this doesn't use canonically localized names for characters and places? Especially given that we now have an official localization for the famicom original.

Polinym

• View Profile
So, is there a reason why this doesn't use canonically localized names for characters and places? Especially given that we now have an official localization for the famicom original.
Yup, the main point was to avoid the major localization changes that the Switch "translation" and DS port made. Intelligent System is prone to changing the names of characters, items, places, etc. Out of respect for Fire Emblem original's creator Shouzou Kaga, my goal was to preseve as much of the Japanese original intent as possible. This means keeping things like "Social Knights" and Mamkutes. Of course, during my research for this project, the Switch port was surprisingly more accurate than I expected based on the wildly different DS translation. I used as the official terms whenever they were accurate, or found a nice middle ground.
"Where are you going, soldier? Get back to the battle!" - Some Battlefront Clone

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
Alright, cool. It just strikes me really weird to see Marth translated as Mars though.

Lusofonia

• My Discord: Lusofonia#3041
    • View Profile
    • Lusofonia's profile at "Fórum Unificado"
I think it's because the official translations went with Marth, so you got used to that?
I am a pancake, you should be a pancake too

Polinym

• View Profile
Mars/Marth was one I was really torn about. It could go either way. I've heard that Kaga has a history of taking mythological references in katakana and altering them slightly, so there is some justification for Marth (MARUSU -> Mars, Roman deity of war). However, I'm a big fan of the two-episode anime, and it was the first name he ever got in a western release, so Mars it is.

LumInvader

• View Profile
Mars/Marth was one I was really torn about. It could go either way. I've heard that Kaga has a history of taking mythological references in katakana and altering them slightly, so there is some justification for Marth (MARUSU -> Mars, Roman deity of war). However, I'm a big fan of the two-episode anime, and it was the first name he ever got in a western release, so Mars it is.
You do realize that you're catering to a niche audience here, right?  Virtually nobody calls him Mars.  Case in point: Even the description on your translation's RHDN Project Page calls him Marth!  His official romanized name is Marth and has been for quite some time.

How about offering a compromise in the form of an optional "Marth" patch?