News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Does anybody know what happened again with Tom and DDS?  (Read 3433 times)

aqualung

• View Profile
Does anybody know what happened again with Tom and DDS?
« on: May 12, 2021, 08:57:26 am »
I follow their twitter accounts, where they usually posted their updates. But some weeks ago, while they were working on Tokimeki, DDS deleted all his posts, including the account's header image and avatar, and went radio silence, while Tom's last post was a video about a concert from the Ihatovo soundtrack and, after that... nothing else.

Does anybody have some info? I was used to Tom deleting his posts from time to time, but DDS didn't use to do that.

edit: the website where they uploaded their patches, translated.games, is also down. It was operative just one or two days ago :-\
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:37:34 am by aqualung »

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody know what happened again with Tom and DDS?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 01:41:57 pm »
considering their lack of presence here why would we know?

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 02:03:21 pm »
considering their lack of presence here why would we know?

Yeah, I know. Just asked in case someone who lurks other websites other than this one and was able to figure out something, could throw some light on this. Because it's been really strange, out of the blue and suddenly, without any hint pointing to another drama like the Goemon 3 one, they just make this. This looks taken straight out of a twilight zone episode.

Now the only snes-centered translation group still visibly active are DD (Transcorp's last project was Tenshi no Uta, most of AGTP's snes projects not centered on SRW are collecting dust, now Tom and DDS go radio silent...), but they're a little restricted right now due to the lack of a romhacker.

Well, whatever. Thanks for replying, Bonesy.

KobaBeach

• bad smw asm hacker, bad programmer (he/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 01:45:06 am »
Some people just vanish for long periods of time. Maybe they're taking a break from the internet?
DDS hates me for commenting on the Goemon t-slur incident but I hope those two are doing alright.
respectful, bad retranslation attempts, sort of japanese practice. not patch sadly.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 08:02:31 am »
Some people just vanish for long periods of time. Maybe they're taking a break from the internet?
DDS hates me for commenting on the Goemon t-slur incident but I hope those two are doing alright.

Perhaps. But then, I don't see the reason in completely erasing the website he himself set up with all their projects and patches. Well... What will be, will be. I'm still grateful for all the games they've translated, even if it seems the opposite. I'm not mad or anything, just... puzzled by this sudden turn of events.

By the way... are you sure he hates you? I stood for both Tom and DDS and defended them publicly when the "slur incident" happened but, frankly, I don't think they've even noticed. Too much noise on the internet for the actions of an individual to stand out, unless you're doing something out of the ordinary that attracts a lot of attention.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 01:27:05 pm by aqualung »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 03:17:15 pm »
Not trying to bring back dramu, but I think most of the anger in that incident was towards a certain someone who already didn't like DDS for causing a bit of a mob rush.

Anyway, I was slightly worried about this as well.  It's true that some people just need a break, since Tom left once before too.  But the website going dark concerns me a lot more.  At least we have the remaining patches on RHDN as far as I know.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 04:54:53 pm »
Not trying to bring back dramu, but I think most of the anger in that incident was towards a certain someone who already didn't like DDS for causing a bit of a mob rush.

Anyway, I was slightly worried about this as well.  It's true that some people just need a break, since Tom left once before too.  But the website going dark concerns me a lot more.  At least we have the remaining patches on RHDN as far as I know.

Yeah, that was also what had me concerned the most, the website. Well, we'll have to wait and see.

By the way, to avoid opening another thread, I'll use this one. To a person who wrote me before: I've read your message. Couldn't reply as the inbox was full, but I've indeed read it. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Sorry for the offtopic.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 08:16:16 am »
Looks like they just had a break, Tom's back at it on Twitter. I mean, it "is" springtime - people want a little bit of rest every now and then from the daily grind. ;)

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 04:39:02 pm »
Looks like they just had a break, Tom's back at it on Twitter. I mean, it "is" springtime - people want a little bit of rest every now and then from the daily grind. ;)

That's a relief  :) Perhaps I've been a little selfish wanting to know so badly if something had happened. I'm the kind of person who always gets upset when things happen and I don't know at least why.

Also, with all the things happening right now in my life (among other things: my chronic unemployment to which the pandemic hasn't helped, my girlfriend having lost her hearing almost completely due to a sudden illness (and unemployed as well), and her mother dealing with cancer and parkinson) translations of classic jrpgs are currently almost the only thing that gives me a little joy to put up with this state of affairs.

Thanks a lot to everyone for replying, really.

someguyorsomething

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 03:51:49 pm »
Im pretty worried too.. DDS pretty much wiped his entire twitter clean without actually deleting it and the website is still gone. Don't think Tom posted anything since april either. Hope they're just taking a break and they aren't depressed or giving up altogether.

KobaBeach

• bad smw asm hacker, bad programmer (he/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 08:51:30 pm »
By the way... are you sure he hates you? I stood for both Tom and DDS and defended them publicly when the "slur incident" happened but, frankly, I don't think they've even noticed. Too much noise on the internet for the actions of an individual to stand out, unless you're doing something out of the ordinary that attracts a lot of attention.
I dunno he just. Blocks me repeatedly, also some of my friends also got it like at least a friend's girlfriend for no reason, could also be from following HG101, I remember he had "HG101 is cancer" on his Twitter bio.

I don't even interact with him, which is really awkward because I'm friends with that one Indonesian PoPoLoCrois fan, keke? And he's a fan of DDS' work so, it's a bit awkward sometimes like when he #lrt'd the TokiMemo announcement and I was like "????? wha". And my second main account is from like last year?

Even with all of this I hope they're not thinking of doing anything rash. They're human, after all.

Also, with all the things happening right now in my life (among other things: my chronic unemployment to which the pandemic hasn't helped, my girlfriend having lost her hearing almost completely due to a sudden illness (and unemployed as well), and her mother dealing with cancer and parkinson) translations of classic jrpgs are currently almost the only thing that gives me a little joy to put up with this state of affairs.
Been going through depression and terrible mental crises myself so I feel you. Hang in there, best of luck to everyone around you and I'm sorry I can't do much.
respectful, bad retranslation attempts, sort of japanese practice. not patch sadly.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 10:54:08 am »
I dont know about DDS, but I can assure you that Tom is alive and well.
we are currently working together on something.
In PSP we trust.

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 06:33:11 pm »
I dunno he just. Blocks me repeatedly, also some of my friends also got it like at least a friend's girlfriend for no reason, could also be from following HG101, I remember he had "HG101 is cancer" on his Twitter bio.

He mentioned at one point, after finally returning following the whole debacle, that he had some sort of dynamic script or setting or something set up that autoblocked anybody who followed HG101 as a way of denying the angry mob access to him, and even commented that he might have caught a few innocent people in the mix, but he didn't really care if it kept the sycophants off of him. Basically, if you're following HG101, you did so at the cost of being able to view or interact with DDS. He probably wasn't blocking you personally, but just among the chunk of people that decided they still wanted to follow HG101 after his reprehensible behavior.

That said, it's kind of a moot point right now, as his twitter is still wiped clean or completely private and has been for close to a month now, along with the site he shared the projects he, Tom and Pascal worked on together being gone. Whether he still owns the domain and just decided to wipe the site for now with the ability to restore it at a later date or just gave up on it altogether is anyone's guess. As Mugi mentioned, Tom is still around and hasn't given any indication otherwise. He shared a random retweet of an Ihatovo concert after DDS went private, so it's likely that whatever prompted DDS's departure didn't affect him, as he was pretty known for being relatively quiet on Twitter and periodically purging all of his tweets for his own privacy. Tom isn't really acting any differently than he has been for a long time. Pascal is still doing his thing, being an awesome sprite artist. DDS is the only one that basically dipped completely and has no indication of why or if he'll ever be back. The fact that he didn't just delete his twitter altogether but just privated/deleted all the tweets seems to indicate a willingness to return in the future, but that's really just wishful thinking on my part.

It's a real shame, as that trio made a *damn* good team and cranked out some masterpiece games that had gone untranslated for far too long, and did it in crazy short periods of time too. I just hope that whatever the circumstances, they're all happy and doing what's best for them. Honestly, if I found myself in DDS's shoes and still wanted to translate games for fun/as a hobby, I'd likely just go completely radio silent until a project was done, release it into the wild and make myself scarce. Nobody harassing you about when the game is gonna be done, the choices you're making in translation, and no way for them to heap abuse directly onto you if someone decides to be crazy. It's very possible he's just in internet hermitage and never intends to come out. I mean, someone literally commented that they'd "almost given up hope" for one of their projects that had just been announced a month and a half earlier, had regular updates about progress, and had just the week before gotten a huge game info page put together and shared about it with a message that it wasn't ready yet but would be soon. That would be enough to make me just walk away for good too.

Bonk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 12:19:39 am »
I'd likely just go completely radio silent until a project was done, release it into the wild and make myself scarce
This 1000%.
Especially after how HG101 acted.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 01:10:09 am »
I haven't read HG101 since someone put up an essay-length anti-adblock message.
I can understand wanting to block adblockers, but then there is being a jerk about it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2021, 10:01:20 am »
I can understand wanting to block adblockers, but then there is being a jerk about it.
Is that all they did to warrant being called "cancer"?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2021, 11:18:52 am »
Is that all they did to warrant being called "cancer"?

So there's a character in Goemon 2 who refers who refers to themselves as a "newhalf" in Japanese and that word got translated as "tranny". Kurt Kalata, the guy who runs HG101, pointed this out in a tweet, which unsurprisingly got a ton of people angry and made them accuse Tom of transphobia. Others came to Tom's defense, saying the original Japanese term was a slur in the first place and that there was no polite way of translating it and that Tom's rather reclusive nature could have made him unaware of the translated term's bigotted connotations. Kurt then called Tom's defenders a right wing mob, which escalated the drama and caused Tom to go offline for a while.

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2021, 03:12:56 pm »

As the person above me pointed out, it was *far* worse than just that. HG101 basically jumped down their throats publicly for the unintentional slur that neither of them realized was considered offensive, and because they had the gall to defend themselves by saying so he basically sicced an internet mob on them and painted them as some kind of neo-nazi hate group, referring to DDS as a translation group, which just further illustrated his complete lack of knowledge about the situation as DDS is just one guy, which was the other part of his bio information on Twitter. He did all of this before they even had time to turn around and fix the issue, and by the time they did nobody cared because HG101 had basically made everyone think they were some kind of monsters. His behavior was absolutely reprehensible, and the user base of Resetera made up a good chunk of the massive amount of hate that came their way, which is why he also called them out in said bio information. Nobody bothered to actually look into the situation at all and just took his word that DDS and Tom were intentionally being hateful and refused to change the terminology simply because they offered an explanation for why they chose the term in question and stated the fact that they didn't realize it was a slur. The fact that they actually released an updated patch with the term changed as quickly as possible says all you need to know about their stance on it, but the pitchforks were already out and it was 100% HG101's fault.

Basically, he's an awful person who almost ran off a couple of hobby translators that have quickly and single-handedly delivered fantastic quality translations of some of the most oft-requested titles for the SNES for a single mistake that he called them out for publicly and incited a witch hunt before they even had a chance to respond to the situation. With the current situation it's still not clear that he hasn't run off at least DDS. It was the equivalent of shooting someone for parking in a handicapped space without realizing it before even giving them a chance to back out and move somewhere else. Completely uncalled for and over the top. But of course, he's published books so he has a cult following that listened to him. Frankly, I think DDS was completely justified to set up whatever it was he had that blocked anyone who follows HG101. I wouldn't want anyone who subscribes to what that guy says to be able to see or interact with me either, and I wouldn't be shy about calling him every heinous thing under the sun. Tom took it incredibly personally and almost lost all confidence and desire to translate by his own admission, but DDS was labeled as some kind of right-wing extremist hate group when he's nothing of the sort and got crucified for it, all because HG101 said he was.

Uberdubie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2021, 04:16:18 pm »
That past situation... yeah, it was all created by a  very small group on Twitter/Resetera just trying to cause drama in the romhacking/translation community (hardly surprising anymore lol).  I live my life literally surrounded by trans/non-binary people whom all (that I've discussed this with) found the Twitter mob's disingenuous outrage to be absurd and insulting to trans people.

As a non-binary long-time fan of Tom's work myself, I really hope he got that message, and eventually realized all of us who watched that mess transpire know he did absolutely nothing wrong.  Beyond that, Tom's current disappearance hopefully has nothing to with said drama.

I stood for both Tom and DDS and defended them publicly when the "slur incident" happened but, frankly, I don't think they've even noticed. Too much noise on the internet for the actions of an individual to stand out, unless you're doing something out of the ordinary that attracts a lot of attention.

Same here.  I gave Tom a TON of love back during all that childishness, and it probably got lost in the chaos.  Of course I still wish Tom the all the best.  His talent and contributions to this community are irreplaceable, and he'll always be appreciated by those who followed his tireless work -- whether he comes back or not. 

Tom, thank you for everything you've selflessly done for us here, and sincerely hope you're doing well!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 04:45:01 pm by Uberdubie »

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2021, 05:36:28 pm »
I didn't know the details of what happened with HG101 and the Goemon stupidity.  Gah.  I stopped reading them after their articles on the Quake series, man that was some atrocious work.  Don't think I'll be heading back, now.

People above have said this more eloquently than I, but I do hope Tom, DDS and the others are doing alright.  They do cool stuff.