News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Does anybody know what happened again with Tom and DDS?  (Read 4204 times)

CO_Andy

• View Profile
Re: Does anybody know what happened again with Tom and DDS?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2021, 06:48:24 pm »
That past situation... yeah, it was all created by a  very small group on Twitter/Resetera just trying to cause drama in the romhacking/translation community (hardly surprising anymore lol).  I live my life literally surrounded by trans/non-binary people whom all (that I've discussed this with) found the Twitter mob's disingenuous outrage to be absurd and insulting to trans people.
Personally i found the outrage over the outrage to be more insulting since these people can't seem to accept Tom's localization choice in the end to not use the slur.

Uberdubie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2021, 07:53:06 pm »
^ Indeed -- that's part of what drama-seekers try to do.  There is no such thing as "valid outrage" when it comes to online drama -- regardless of the "side" one's on, it's all a losing battle.

Rather than spread more drama/negativity, I'd rather give love/support to those deserving and who've earned it.  Tom has mine.

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2021, 08:54:53 pm »
Yeah, the refusal to give anyone even the tiniest hint of courtesy or benefit of the doubt was ridiculous. They saw someone using a word they didn't like and instantly concluded that it could not possibly be an innocent mistake but must be intentional and targeted malice, then proceed to dogpile said person. It's shit like this that's causing "cancel culture" to be weaponized by the actual "right-wing extremists" that they villainized because it's over the top and completely uncalled for, and allows those kind of people to lump their own consequences for actual terrible actions in with things like this that are blown out of proportion.

There really is a huge problem with drama on the whole rom hacking/fan translation/console hacking scene and it's always been ridiculous frankly. People who intentionally whip things into a frenzy instead of just working to resolve issues that some may not even realize are issues are the worst offenders, and they've cost us tons of good content makers and developers over the years. As much as I'm sure we all love the hobby to varying degrees, we need to all realize that it's all for the sake of fun and trying to make a scene over something because you're "passionate" just makes you look like an ass, and ruins things for other people.

I'm glad to know that Tom is still active on at least one other project and probably a few more considering what other translators have said regarding certain of their own works, but DDS in particular has just vanished, and it would be a damn shame if he really has just up and abandoned the scene, because he was an amazing rom hacker and managed to make a lot of things work that many people over the years have tried and failed at. Basically, don't be an ass to romhackers. Just thank them for their work and if there's some issue, bring it up politely so it can be fixed.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2021, 09:36:04 pm »
Give the writer the benefit of the doubt. They may very well have intended it was vital for the character to use that particular word, at that time and place.

It begs the question. How are we supposed to portray characters who behave 'distastefully' without villifying the work? The likes of deadnaming, blackface, etc, may rightfully be appalling to some viewers, but to what extent is it fair to sanitize such things for those who are interested in the subject matter?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 02:37:43 am by tc »

CO_Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2021, 01:08:40 am »
It begs the question. How are we supposed to portray characters who behave 'distastefully' without villifying the work? The likes of deadnaming, blackface, etc, may be rightfully be appalling to some viewers, but to what extent is it fair to sanitize such things for those who are interested in the subject matter?
I have yet to see any complaints towards leaving controversial in-game graphics as-is, so i don't think that's a problem at all for the rom hacking scene.

As for text localization, i would say it's best to seek some sort of middle ground where the original meaning isn't entirely lost and isn't completely derogatory to minorities.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2021, 04:33:59 am »
Apparently, some ppl with nothing better to do than bitch about a 25+-year-old video game harassed him to the point where he had to go into "digital" hiding.  Some of the things they were saying and doing to him were worse than what they were complaining about. Ridiculous.

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2021, 07:09:44 am »
Topic closed as this is kind of off topic for this subforum, and we don't have a subforum this generally fits into anyway. If you must inquire about the status of community members like this, consider joining our Discord. There's an invite in the site sidebar (the Chat link). Be sure to follow our rules if you do.