News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: I deeply regret posting my hack here. How do I get it removed?  (Read 1711 times)

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
Originally, I wanted to make a private hack of Super Mario RPG that tweaked the dialogue to be closer to the original Japanese (such as Culex being a 2D villain lost in a 3D world, rather than the "Dark Knight of Vanda"), but when I made more and more tweaks to the script, I figured the difference was significant enough to warrant posting publicly. However, the response to my hack's existence is undeniably negative, with the exception of nejimakipiyo's high praise, which I feel is misguided and undeserved. If there's no way to have my hack removed, then I'll likely just abandon this account and start over under a new name.

MysticLord

• View Profile
Re: I deeply regret posting my hack here. How do I get it removed?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 04:34:28 am »
Why on earth would you care what someone thinks when they write stuff like this?

Takes aspects of a lively and fun game and turns it into another dull, overly literal cardboard paint-by-numbers translation that beats all of the charm out of either version of Super Mario RPG, Western or Eastern and feels like it was combed through by a humorless robot with little room for understanding the text.

Adding to this, a lot of the changes the author makes are stilted and awkward to a large degree, and not nearly as accurate to the original Japanese’s tone and spirit as he appears to believe it is.

A good example early on would be changing “Kinklink” from the early Bowser dungeon into the incredibly dull and lifeless sounding “Hang Chomp”.

Even Clyde Mandalyn’s write-up about the game from the Legends Of Localization site makes mention to how a vastly more fitting translation of the chandelier chain chomp, combining the Japanese’s wordplay of combining “chomp” to “a hanging ornament” would be something more clever but still accurate such as “Chanderchomp”

However, this hack is made by someone with a complete misunderstanding of this intent all the way through, and therefore many of it’s changes do not accurately represent even the original Japanese’s playful spirit and tone, opting for dull, lifeless changes that feel more like consulting a google translation bot rather than trying to understand what the best interpretation would be, sucking the heart and soul of the game’s dialogue out with it.

The reverting of some enemy’s names are decent, while others are suspect at best, and in particular the “Psycopath” translations offered are MUCH too focused on that same literal machine-like translation method which renders all of them dull, and utterly unfunny.

It seems to believe that swapping out the mere references made in the original Japanese is good enough, while not providing them in a context to show WHY they are funny. They are as stiff and humorless as someone with only a basic, misguided understanding of the art of translation is capable of making, and because of that, I cannot recommend this.

None of this conveys the sense of fun or whimsy that Super Mario RPG contains in either it’s North American localization OR it’s Japanese original text, and misses the point of either in it’s methodical and soulless endeavor to flatten it’s charm out with a steam-roller.

It is a very misguided attempt that, while born from good intentions, just seems to not understand the delicate nuances of the translation process whatsoever. A mistake which so many people with the overly purist, borderline otaku American mindset as this author often fall into.

The end result is something too flat and ham-handedly pretentious for those who understand what Woolseys’s intent (grammatical and simple errors aside) was, and also too dull, charmless, unimaginative and humorless for those wanting a good experience closer in spirit to the Japanese original to appreciate.

It is possibly a good idea in theory perhaps, but the execution could have been done much better by someone more willing to understand the translation process, rather than just boil down the process with only attempts to “fix”, as if it’s just “filling in gaps” like a machine that sees the original text but doesn’t feel the meaning behind it.

It’s my hope that someone will take on this concept again and do it better, because this one misses the mark.
This sounds like Patrick Bateman's monologue about "Hip to be square" in American Psycho. NSFW link, btw:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vzN3qO-qc8U

Or if you prefer the Evangalion version:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CgMgpJf_tpU

This user could have posted a critique that it's too literalistic of a translation and not to their tastes, but they had to show off.

Moreover, why would you publicly give them the satisfaction of quitting, thereby encouraging them to continue and unduly inflating their ego? Looking at this person's profile, they've contributed nothing; one's opinion is weighted by one's contributions.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 06:25:17 am »
Hope you reconsider, don't give in to the negativity you see, there will be many that will appreciate this even if you don't hear from them.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 10:10:48 am »
Try "flag as noncompliant" button and ask for removal

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 10:11:14 am »
Originally, I wanted to make a private hack of Super Mario RPG that tweaked the dialogue to be closer to the original Japanese (such as Culex being a 2D villain lost in a 3D world, rather than the "Dark Knight of Vanda"), but when I made more and more tweaks to the script, I figured the difference was significant enough to warrant posting publicly. However, the response to my hack's existence is undeniably negative, with the exception of nejimakipiyo's high praise, which I feel is misguided and undeserved. If there's no way to have my hack removed, then I'll likely just abandon this account and start over under a new name.

Don't let negative criticism affect you. You've put your time and knowledge to try and polish a game and, on top of that, you've shared it with everyone for free to try. I think that's deserving of praise and gratitude.

I just finished playing SMRPG some weeks ago. If I had known this patch was in the works, I'd have waited  ;)

Some people should be more aware of the fact that, behind any project, there's a human being behind. Some people must think that the hacks and translation patches sprout from the ground like mushrooms or are made by machines. Otherwise they wouldn't be so harsh unless they're enbittered people that only want to harm others intentionally.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:30:20 am by aqualung »

Memorex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 10:50:31 am »
I thought it sounded interesting and am definitely eager to try it out when I can find the time.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 01:20:10 pm »
However, the response to my hack's existence is undeniably negative, with the exception of nejimakipiyo's high praise, which I feel is misguided and undeserved.

Having read the topic about your hack, I'm under the impression that the feedback thus far has been mostly supportive. Unless you received more negative feedback outside of that topic, I wouldn't take drastic actions over what is basically one disgruntled user. You can't please everybody. No sense in beating yourself up about it.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 01:23:47 pm »
Totally absurd overreaction. People may have an opinion and will not always praise your work. There is something for everyone specially in the realm of retranslations. He doesn't like it? Okey, move on. You can't always please everyone.

Why on earth would you care what someone thinks when they write stuff like this?

Moreover, why would you publicly give them the satisfaction of quitting, thereby encouraging them to continue and unduly inflating their ego? Looking at this person's profile, they've contributed nothing; one's opinion is weighted by one's contributions.
THIS.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 06:50:45 pm »
I'm eager to try the hack myself, as I'm a purist in most respects.
You shouldn't think your work is without worth just because malcontents may be vocal about it; it's your thing, your vision.

Lusofonia

• My Discord: Lusofonia#3041
    • View Profile
    • Lusofonia's profile at "Fórum Unificado"
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 07:24:55 pm »
I'm eager to try the hack myself, as I'm a purist in most respects.
You shouldn't think your work is without worth just because malcontents may be vocal about it; it's your thing, your vision.

Besides, SMRPG was in need of a retranslation, now there's one and many people will want to play it. So if you delete it no one else will be able to play. You just have to think that someone out there will play your work, even if some other person doesn't like it. Good luck dude  ;)
I am a pancake, you should be a pancake too

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 11:48:47 pm »
I've seen Mato's playthrough.

Other than the missed Japanaese pop culture stuff in the Psychopath messages, I'd say the English seemed more fleshed out than the Japanese. At least from what I could note.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

KdstsMgsts

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 03:26:53 am »
Looking at the contributions of the person who gave your hack a bad review, it seems that he or she has a bizarre obsession with removing any trace of "Japaneseness" from Japanese media (perhaps this person works as a translator for Funimation :laugh:). Nearly all of their reviews are extremely negative, and the only positive one is 1,000 words of gushing praise over a hack that changes the title of Ganbare Goemon to "Mystical Ninja". It's actually quite sad, if you think about it.

I'm going to agree with the second poster in this thread: there's no point in worrying about a bad review from someone like that. You can't please people who are ideologically opposed to the kind of hacks you're making; if your aim is to produce authentic translations, then being attacked by that kind of person is a badge of honour.

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 09:28:24 am »
This site doesn't remove hacks unless they are unfinished, I wanted to get rid of my ancient hack someone else submitted here as its just terrible quality and bad, or at least get it out of my profile but no, the admins are quite asshole about that for some reason.

Rabite890

• Rabite was here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 01:18:33 pm »
This site doesn't remove hacks unless they are unfinished, I wanted to get rid of my ancient hack someone else submitted here as its just terrible quality and bad, or at least get it out of my profile but no, the admins are quite asshole about that for some reason.

I submit the following as proof: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/144/

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 03:17:45 pm »
I submit the following as proof: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/144/
Proof of what? That's one of the oldest patches on the site; reviews and descriptions tended towards the edgy in the early days.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!