News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mortal Kombat Trilogy (N64)  (Read 347 times)

SmashNcrab

• View Profile
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (N64)
« on: May 07, 2021, 12:05:33 pm »
How difficult would it be to replace the different stage music in MK Trilogy (N64 version)?
For those that don’t know, the stage music quality suuuuuucks in this game and half the stages have the wrong music attached to each stage! If possible, I would like to get the music as good as it could be, correct which stages have what music, and possibly export the missing MK1-2 tracks to their corresponding stages. Never hacked an N64 game and but I really want this hack to made (whether me making it or someone else).

Is this a pretty feasible thing to attempt? Or is it going to be a big pain in the neck? Any suggestions where to start?

I’m also using a Mac, so if you know any good tools for Mac OS, let me know! If not, I do have a Windows partition, I just don’t use it too much.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Mortal Kombat Trilogy (N64)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 05:38:29 pm »
It so happens that the Mortal Kombat Trilogy source code was leaked online a while ago, so... actually maybe not that difficult. But I'm not sure where you would find that source code, and I'm definitely not sure how you would compile it into a usable N64 ROM.  You'll need to do some Googling.  (You did do some Googling before you decided to make a post, right..?)  And of course you have to consider that despite that leak occurring several years ago, it doesn't look like anyone else has managed to do anything interesting with Trilogy N64.

https://github.com/Erick194/DOOM64-RE suggests it shares some code with Doom 64 (also from Midway), so it's possible some of the tools used to reverse-engineer Doom 64 might be applicable to Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

Otherwise, working this out from scratch is probably not going to be easy.  If it's just a matter of swapping music around, then I notice that there is a USF dump available at https://www.zophar.net/music/nintendo-64-usf and it might be feasible to locate the USF data in the original ROM and manipulate it accordingly.  But needless to say, this is not something that is done regularly.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 07:29:34 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!