News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Legacy of Goku style DB Super Game  (Read 598 times)

rfar12345

• View Profile
Legacy of Goku style DB Super Game
« on: May 03, 2021, 01:02:54 pm »
Looking for anyone who wants to help or has advice on where to get started modding legacy of goku 2 or 3. Hoping to continue the story after the buu saga with the events of Dragon Ball Super. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 03:29:36 pm by rfar12345 »

enmanuelgaiming2020

• View Profile
Re: Legacy of Goku style DB Super Game
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 03:23:45 pm »
i have tile layer pro so i will help you
not so famous ROM hacker

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 06:43:02 pm »
Various people wander along every so often looking to translate or mod this game (I have no idea why -- they are not great games, possibly better than a lot of anime/manage cash in but that is not a high bar). During such times I have occasionally taken a look and they are not necessarily the easiest games to start out on -- compression, odd file formats and more getting in the way compared to a lot of other GBA games. I don't think I took a serious run at the level formats but recall some others that were looking and from what they said they were not necessarily the nicest either.

rfar12345

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 04:09:32 pm »
i'm willing to learn whatever, I have too much free time and wanna work on something. Doesn't necessarily have to be on that engine, just would like to be able to have a 2d abs style DBZ game for the super arcs.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 11:25:13 am »
i'm willing to learn whatever
In that case, you're probably far better off using an engine like GameMaker and writing it from scratch instead of trying to mash new content into an uncooperative, closed-source game for a long-dead platform.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 03:23:01 pm »
It might be a hard game to hack, but certainly not impossible. If you're determined to learn and put in the effort, any and every game can be hacked/modded. Here's an example of a person who's working on this game and doing great work with it so far:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30397.0

Assuming that they have the free time available, you can either try asking him or someone else at a DBZ community for help getting started. If you don't feel like taking the time to properly learn romhacking, then you could always just use something like one of the RPG Maker programs.

In that case, you're probably far better off using an engine like GameMaker and writing it from scratch instead of trying to mash new content into an uncooperative, closed-source game for a long-dead platform.
Don't the majority of people here deal with hacking and translating old games for long dead platforms? There's a reason why they're called "retro gamers". Many of these types of communities are still very much alive and kicking, such as FEUniverse (a site dedicated to Fire Emblem romhacks), among many others.

Various people wander along every so often looking to translate or mod this game (I have no idea why)
Because they're fans of the series and like these games, why else? It's for the same reason that fans of any series like games that are based on them.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

rfar12345

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 04:07:11 pm »
thanks for the feedback everyone, game maker studio might be my best bet for trying to make a game like this with a new storyline. I just really like how the gba games handled and that's why i was looking into a hack instead of a new game from the ground up. but thank you all