News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: FFIV Ultima v25!  (Read 2995 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: FFIV Ultima v25!
« on: May 02, 2021, 01:25:29 am »

Update By: Ace_Aileron

5 months ago, Final Fantasy Ultima v20 was released shocking the RDNH community as it brought forth new features never before thought possible, including a New Game+ mode. With this release, many assumed that no additional content could be added and it would be the last release...

...but the fantasy is never final.

Rumors among the Discord community whispered of a new release and before anyone knew what was  happening, a new version dropped, causing an uproar among players - the Dev team had done it again: new areas, new bosses, and new summons. However, what soon followed would forever change the face of Final Fantasy IV and further prove that the only limitations of this edition is the Dev's team imagination and with that, version v25k was coded into existence.

In addition to brand new spells, summons, locations, and challenges, v25k adds quality of life features never before thought possible within the confines of an SNES game. Players choosing to play this version will be introduced to a completely revamped item/equipmet and magic screen, including descriptions for both. A brand new ATB meter has been added, giving the game the same look and feel of later Final Fantasy games and adds a whole new depth of stragety within the game's hardest fights. Those familar with the game will also notice the classic Chocobo has been upgraded, allowing adventurous players to explore brand new areas by crossing the shallows. Long time veterans of Final Fantasy IV will notice new sound effects and graphics for some of the game's most popular weapons. As to play homage to another classic SNES RPG, a special item has been added that will make any fan of the series unbelievably giddy, especially when they discover what this item can do.

Like with every new release, v25k also includes a host of rebalances among characters, monsters, and spells; new shops, and a plethora of additional changes that you'll simply have to experience to believe.

As always, on behalf of the Final Fantasy IV Ultima Dev team, thank you for your continued support. The hope is you enjoy the game as much as the dev team did developing it. Here's to 25,000 downloads; see you at the next major milestone!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Drag0nwind

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: FFIV Ultima v25!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 03:22:11 am »
This looks so awesome!

Got my computer and controller set up in my room and am looking forward to trying this out!

Been wanting to for a while but have sadly been playing a bunch of WoW Classic since its launch.

Erm, anyway. This will be a fun change of pace and with an even newer patch just released? That’s epic!

Cheers everyone and thanks for the adventure!!

👊😎

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 06:44:44 am »
Why does the title screen say "Normal Mode", when there's only one mode/version to choose from now anyway? Seems pointless now since you already removed the "Baby Mode" patch from before.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 10:38:14 am »
Why does the title screen say "Normal Mode", when there's only one mode/version to choose from now anyway? Seems pointless now since you already removed the "Baby Mode" patch from before.

Easy and hard modes are not completely off the table,but making those requires reaching a point where we're done adding new content, as a different mode would generally require making adjustments to most aspects of the game. It just seemed silly to remove "normal mode" from the title screen if we'd eventually be re-adding it later.

If you want, I can make a patch just for you that says "Special Mode" on the title screen instead.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 05:03:17 pm »
This looks so awesome!

Got my computer and controller set up in my room and am looking forward to trying this out!

Been wanting to for a while but have sadly been playing a bunch of WoW Classic since its launch.

Erm, anyway. This will be a fun change of pace and with an even newer patch just released? That’s epic!

Cheers everyone and thanks for the adventure!!

👊😎
Hi there Drag0nwind!

Hope you'll enjoy the hack and all the new features and additions!
If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask! If you want a faster response, head on over to our FF4 Ultima discord and someone will be able to respond very quickly.

https://discord.gg/4MqjwJt
http://8bitfan.info/

Enjoy and cheers!! :beer: :thumbsup:

8.bit.fan
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/
FF4 Ultima Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqjwJt

Old_gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 06:43:27 pm »
I did notice a problem, just after I gained control of Cecil and spoke to Kain, I went to check my status and the screen glitched. Please fix. I'll be more than happy to play this upon fixing this issue.  :)

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 07:46:24 pm »
If you want, I can make a patch just for you that says "Special Mode" on the title screen instead.

That would be awesome of you! Cannot wait for it!!

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 08:40:50 pm »
I did notice a problem, just after I gained control of Cecil and spoke to Kain, I went to check my status and the screen glitched. Please fix. I'll be more than happy to play this upon fixing this issue.  :)

Did you use the optional inventory management patch? The documentation for that isn't great, but it needs to be used on an unheadered ROM and that us exactly the kind of problem you would face if you used it on a headered ROM
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 12:01:13 am by chillyfeez »
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 05:50:58 pm »
Hi Old_gamer!

Did you get the issue resolved? Hope Chilly's advice helped!
And thanks again for the nice review you posted for the hack! Much appreciated! :)

Feel free to reach out if you have further questions  :thumbsup:

Cheers! :beer:

8.bit.fan

Old_gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 09:27:31 am »
Problem solved! Worked perfectly. Thank you again for all the work put into this!

One little request if you want, no biggie. This game is notable for an amazing soundtrack, but gets interrupted with encounters. If at all possible, can you give an option to remove encounter music except boss music? A hack called the Darkness Within did this and was fabulous!

Again, thanks for the efforts and pleasant feedback!!

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 06:31:59 pm »
Problem solved! Worked perfectly. Thank you again for all the work put into this!

One little request if you want, no biggie. This game is notable for an amazing soundtrack, but gets interrupted with encounters. If at all possible, can you give an option to remove encounter music except boss music? A hack called the Darkness Within did this and was fabulous!

Again, thanks for the efforts and pleasant feedback!!
Hi Old_gamer!

Great to hear! Enjoy the latest version  :thumbsup:

Oh that's a great suggestion and actually on the to-do list for a later update. Might not do this for all of the monster encounters but likely for the ones on the overworld maps! Great suggestion and thanks!  :)

Cheers!! :beer:

8.bit.fan

Ryuu774

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 08:21:19 am »
Okay, just want to make sure that something is intentional-

I just finished the fight with Golbez, and noticed some differences with Rydia- she still has white magic, for one, but her summon list is restricted to only Chocobo, Mist dragon, and Titan- is this the way it's supposed to be, or did I do a wrong thing? I haven't applied the inventory patch, Rydia is Lv27, so, what's up?

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 04:06:17 am »
Okay, just want to make sure that something is intentional-

I just finished the fight with Golbez, and noticed some differences with Rydia- she still has white magic, for one, but her summon list is restricted to only Chocobo, Mist dragon, and Titan- is this the way it's supposed to be, or did I do a wrong thing? I haven't applied the inventory patch, Rydia is Lv27, so, what's up?
Hi Ryuu774!

Yes. That is the correct behavior. Rydia retains her lower level White magic spells. Also, Rydia's other 3 elemental summons are now bought instead. They're now available early on and can be purchased
Spoiler:
at the Magic Shop in Kaipo.

Hope this helps and feel free to reach out again if you have further question! Enjoy the rest of the hack!! :thumbsup:

Cheers!! :beer:

8.bit.fan