News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: The Legend Of Zelda (Chunky Edition)  (Read 1554 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: The Legend Of Zelda (Chunky Edition)
« on: April 29, 2021, 12:36:16 pm »

Update By: Zero Meaning

Ever felt like your adventuring days were over due to too much pesky detail?

Ever dreamed of a cuter world where pixels are bigger?

Ever wished Zelda could be... chunkier?

The Legend Of Zelda: Chunky Edition is the hack for you!

Boasting almost 100% less graphical fidelity, TLOZ: Chunky Edition modifies all visual aspects of the game, doubling up most if not all pixels to create a blockier, thicker aesthetic.

This hack should appeal to:

• Gamers wanting to experience the most legendary adventure of all time in a new way.

• People who have issues with small pixels on CRTs or other devices.

• Lovers of cute art styles.

• Those who just need less detail in their life.

Also changes the Blue Ring palette to be a bluer blue.

Lovingly crafted by Zero Meaning.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

PowerPanda

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: The Legend Of Zelda (Chunky Edition)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 04:18:50 pm »
I want to hate this, but it's too dang charming. This is like what indie developers THINK retro games looked like.

I noticed a few points through dungeon 1 where the 128x120 aesthetic didn't quite carry through. The first is on the small shield. Since this is onscreen all the time, a fix to that would be most appreciated. The second was on the collar of the Stalfos, and the third was in the enemies' death "explosion". Otherwise, I think you've stumbled upon a charming aesthetic that I didn't know I wanted.  :beer:

Zero Meaning

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 03:40:35 am »
I want to hate this, but it's too dang charming. This is like what indie developers THINK retro games looked like.
Absolutely. Many 'retro' indie games are technically either too complex (too many colours, etc) or too underclocked as you say to have ever been actual games from the era. The reason why many old games look the way they do is almost always due to the limitations of the hardware of the time. Like the story of Mario's creation which I'm sure everyone here knows.

The intention here with this hack wasn't to simply render TLoZ 50% smaller. Many elements don't fit to a 128x120 pixel grid. For example, it's not only Link's shield that's off, but also his eyes and feet. If this annoys/disappoints you, I apologise.
Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. While I don't particularly wish to revisit this unless I totally messed up somewhere, I'll bear what you said in mind with future projects.

Firionel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 09:16:58 pm »
Aww, cute. Feels like a Pico-8 rendition of the game! Good job ^^