News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Any updates on SNES translations?  (Read 2430 times)

travel27

• View Profile
Any updates on SNES translations?
« on: April 29, 2021, 08:41:42 am »
Wondering if any of these might be receiving any kind of translation. I know that, most of the time, translations are pretty well known from the start but sometimes they slip under the radar.

Anything going on with these SNES RPGs?
Not really looking for opinions on if the games are good or not, that is subjective, but just if any translation work is going on with them.  Thanks!

Dark Kingdom
Down the world
Elfaria 1 and 2
The Last battle
Jungle Wars 2
Dokapon Gaiden
Mahoujin Guruguru 1 and 2
Gokinjo Boukentai
Hi no ouji: Yamato Takeru
Kabuki rocks
Dragon Knight 4
Haou Taikei Ryuu Knight: Lord of Paladin
Madara Saga
Kessen! Dokapon Oukoku IV: Densetsu no Yuusha Tachi
Gegege no Kitarou: Fukkatsu! Tenma Daiou
Benkei Gaiden: Suna no Shou
Maten Densetsu: Senritsu no Ooparts
Song Master
Soul and sword
Traverse: Starlight & Prairie
Verne World
Yume Maboroshi no Gotoku
Sword world 1 and 2
Hokuto no Ken 5
Kenyuu Densetsu Yaiba
Albert Odyssey 1 and 2
Beasts and blades
Bounty sword
Hanjyuku Hero
Maka maka
Little master
Idea no hi
Love quest
Milandra
Ruin arm
Trinea

Again, not wondering so much if they are good or not, but just curious if any work is being done on any of them  A few of those do seem cool, though.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 09:01:41 am by travel27 »

darthvaderx

• View Profile
Re: Any updates on SNES translations?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 02:06:28 pm »
Most of these translations you can find out about the current status on the translators' own websites, but one thing that I really regret is the abandonment of Romancing Sa.Ga 2 by AGTP, the excuse is that this game is currently being sold commercially, but not is the original version of the Super Famicom, so that’s not justified, I definitely don’t understand this logic.

:huh:
See my hacks channel including some of my works:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MyWashington2/videos

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 02:12:26 pm »
From what I know, regarding snes games:

Dynamic Designs are working on the two Shinseiki Odysselya games and ONI-II.

AGTP has Madara 2 and Goukinjo Boukentai in their list.

DDS and Tom were doing Tokimeki Memorial last time they said something on their twitter accounts.

And, while it can't be compared to a full-fledged translation project, I did translate (kind of) the dialogs from Idea no Hi in text file format, except for one or two sidequests (in case it encourages someone to take on that game).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 02:27:12 pm by aqualung »

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 05:01:38 pm »
Speaking of translations, I've searched everywhere for a Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special and it seems there's not a single bit of translation in the entire world, I wanna know why "Rick Flair" did all those bad things. :laugh:

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 05:22:36 pm »
Most of these translations you can find out about the current status on the translators' own websites, but one thing that I really regret is the abandonment of Romancing Sa.Ga 2 by AGTP, the excuse is that this game is currently being sold commercially, but not is the original version of the Super Famicom, so that’s not justified, I definitely don’t understand this logic.

It's being sold commercially. I'd imagine it's a waste of AGTP's time and energy to do it. Feel free to do it yourself if you're really dead set on having the SNES version in English.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 01:56:06 am »
It's being sold commercially. I'd imagine it's a waste of AGTP's time and energy to do it. Feel free to do it yourself if you're really dead set on having the SNES version in English.

:huh: :( :-[

Man, if I knew English, Japanese and were the biggest romhacker in the galaxy, you would definitely have all the translations of games in the universe ...

8) :thumbsup: :beer:

(Note1: I like Pallas' cats ...)
(Note2: Final Fantasy VI is always sold commercially on several platforms, so cancel all the retranlations presented here on RHDN ...)
(Note3: I recognize all the work and effort of AGTP, this is not simply a matter of me asking for something and they do, I respect their decision to abandon the project, either due to lack of time or because of other priorities, I just don't accept the justification they gave, but that's okay, they have this right and who am I to question anything? Right?)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 03:26:03 am by darthvaderx »
See my hacks channel including some of my works:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MyWashington2/videos

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 02:07:38 am »
 :laugh: I’m sorry but that is hilarious!

Rudy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 09:12:20 am »

I agree with their decision, the game is close enough to the SNES version that some people might get that instead of buying the current version (which is available on pretty much every single current gaming platform).

If the new version was different enough like a 3D remake or something I could see the benefit of releasing the translation for SNES.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 03:09:57 pm »
The OP would be easier to read if it were alphabetized and cleaned up a tiny bit:

Albert Odyssey 1 and 2
Beasts and Blades
Benkei Gaiden: Suna no Shou
Bounty Sword
Dark Kingdom
Dokapon Gaiden
Down the World
Dragon Knight 4
Elfaria 1 and 2
Gegege no Kitarou: Fukkatsu! Tenma Daiou
Gokinjo Boukentai
Hanjyuku Hero
Haou Taikei Ryuu Knight: Lord of Paladin
Hi no ouji: Yamato Takeru
Hokuto no Ken 5
Idea no hi
Jungle Wars 2
Kabuki Rocks
Kenyuu Densetsu Yaiba
Kessen! Dokapon Oukoku IV: Densetsu no Yuusha Tachi
The Last Battle
Little Master
Love Quest
Madara Saga
Mahoujin Guruguru 1 and 2
Maka Maka
Maten Densetsu: Senritsu no Ooparts
Milandra
Ruin Arm
Song Master
Soul and Sword
Sword World 1 and 2
Traverse: Starlight & Prairie
Trinea
Verne World
Yume Maboroshi no Gotoku

In addition to those already mentioned, there's a partial translation of Little Master (on RHDN), and a kind of "rough draft translation" for Albert Odyssey (not on RHDN). Whether any active work is being done on these, I don't know.

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 04:00:46 pm »
In addition to those already mentioned, there's a partial translation of Little Master (on RHDN), and a kind of "rough draft translation" for Albert Odyssey (not on RHDN). Whether any active work is being done on these, I don't know.

Said "rough draft" translation of Albert Odyssey isn't even complete. Someone tried playing it on a stream and during the course of that single stream, the translation suddenly stopped altogether. If it was at least a complete game translation with some shoddy phrasing or typos or something it could at least be sorta viable, if less than ideal, and easy enough for someone to do an editing pass on to polish up, but as-is it's basically a "first three hours" translation that doesn't really do anybody any good.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 07:48:32 pm »
^Ah, that's helpful to know. Thanks for getting the word out on that.

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 12:12:46 pm »
Thread has been locked as:
1. it was in personal projects originally
2. requests / asking for updates generally go against Rules of Thumb

Rules: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=370.0

Information on the limited places requests are valid: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=6734.0

Information on the status of translations of particular games should typically be obtained through the publicly available media of relevant translation teams.