News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: FFHackster Replacing Spaces with Slashes?  (Read 1165 times)

Spindaboy

• ただいま!
    • View Profile
    • SyndROMe Hacking
FFHackster Replacing Spaces with Slashes?
« on: April 24, 2021, 05:57:47 pm »
Hey all, I've been experiencing this really annoying bug with Disch's FFHackster that seems to turn all spaces input by the keyboard into slashes in-game. Examining the ROM using a hex editor shows that the spaces are being encoded as C1 (the slash icon) rather than FF (the space character). The only thing I could think of that may be causing this to happen is the fact that I'm using Windows 10, as last time I used the program (it's been a few years) I was still on Windows 7 which never had this issue. Any idea what could be causing this if not incompatibility with the OS?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 06:24:45 pm by Spindaboy »

Rabite890

• Rabite was here
    • View Profile
Re: FFHackster Replacing Spaces with Slashes?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 10:28:45 pm »
The problem is that a lot of alternate sprite packs also change dialogue. This is an issue when you use FF1 Randomizer too.

Spindaboy

• ただいま!
    • View Profile
    • SyndROMe Hacking
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 10:57:32 pm »
Just tested it with a clean copy of FF and no slashes were found so this seems to be the case... The odd thing though is that this never happened when I used the exact same base patch (FF Restored) for the first version of my hack a few years ago which is why it never occurred to me. Guess I'll just have to open up a hex editor once I'm finished and change all those slashes manually if I can't figure some other way around it ::)

Tardis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 06:11:53 am »
Wouldn't it just be easier to use a tile editor and change the / to Space?

Spindaboy

• ただいま!
    • View Profile
    • SyndROMe Hacking
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 02:36:42 pm »
Wouldn't it just be easier to use a tile editor and change the / to Space?

I considered doing however the the slash is used elsewhere (e.g. for spell charges). Thankfully I did find a relatively easy work-around though. The space character can be inserted by simply typing {FF} in place of the usual space. Hopefully this helps someone in the future!