News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Porting a windows executable to Linux?  (Read 980 times)

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
Porting a windows executable to Linux?
« on: April 22, 2021, 07:28:54 pm »
I was just curious if you it's pretty easy to port a program (written in c/c++) to linux? If it works in visual studio should it also compile in gcc? Also, if it works in Linux will it automatically work in Mac OS? I know there is virtual programs that emulate windows (such as wine), but obviously that's not ideal.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Re: Porting a windows executable to Linux?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 11:13:52 am »
It depends on the complexity of the program and how much it relies on Window-specific API. A simple PrintF() "Hello World" function? Sure, super easy to port. A GUI level editor that relies on specific Windows behavior? You're going to have to dig through it, swap all the Windows-specific function calls with Linux/Mac equivalents and then test to make sure things don't behave differently.

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 05:23:35 pm »
It depends on the complexity of the program and how much it relies on Window-specific API. A simple PrintF() "Hello World" function? Sure, super easy to port. A GUI level editor that relies on specific Windows behavior? You're going to have to dig through it, swap all the Windows-specific function calls with Linux/Mac equivalents and then test to make sure things don't behave differently.

Yea I was just thinking I use a lot of functions/components native to Microsoft Visual Studio, so it would be hard to port, but there's a feature called 'Workload for Linux development with C++' in Visual Studio that allows you to port over code from windows to linux through the shell. Sounds like a lot of work, but that's probably the best method. A lot of compilers are designed for both operating systems so it's probably best to start from scratch with a compiler like GNU Compiler rather than decide at the last second you want to port it.

bmarquis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 11:09:40 pm »
From what I can see, the Windows Subsystem for Linux allows you to create and debug Linux apps, but it cannot port code magically.

I am confused with what you mean by "Native Windows Functions." Please elucidate.

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 05:21:56 pm »
From what I can see, the Windows Subsystem for Linux allows you to create and debug Linux apps, but it cannot port code magically.

I am confused with what you mean by "Native Windows Functions." Please elucidate.

Code Visual Studio uses to create windows in the GUI, etc..