News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Is it possible to modify Mother 3 english patch to keep old voice clip?  (Read 832 times)

anotherswitchanon

• View Profile
Changed the “Ready-Set-Go” voice clip to the one featuring Lani Minella and Karmageddon
This was in the 1.3 update and I don't want it, I want to keep the old voice clip, is there a way to keep it while applying the patch?
I want the new bug fixes but not the new voice clip, I prefer the original https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1333/.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
You could create a reverse patch.
Get the standalone voice patch:
https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/MOTHER-3-Canonical-voice-patch

Then, get a 1.2 version of the Mother 3 English translation patch as well.
(Don't forget Lunar IPS or whichever tool patches the ROMs)

1) Patch a Mother 3 ROM with the 1.2 patch
2) Create a copy of that patched ROM, so you have 2 ROMs with the same English patch.
3) Patched the copied ROM with the Voice patch. Now you should have one ROM with the voice patch, and without. Be sure to name them to be able to differentiate them both.

4) Now here comes the interesting bit.
You will create a new patch. You need to create a patch that uses as the base ROM the ROM WITH the Voice patch, and the modified one will be the one WITHOUT the Voice patch.
Create that patch, and you now have a patch to have the old voice used in 1.2.

5) Apply that newly created patch over 1.3, and it should work (not guaranteed tho)

RetroProf

• View Profile
Yeah, that's actually a good idea! I did something similar to create a standalone patch for an MSX game that had been translated and distributed as disk images.

I'd never used Lunar IPS' "create patch" option but it was super easy and kinda cool.

Goodspeed OP!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Yeah, that's actually a good idea! I did something similar to create a standalone patch for an MSX game that had been translated and distributed as disk images.

I'd never used Lunar IPS' "create patch" option but it was super easy and kinda cool.

Goodspeed OP!
Did you manage to create the reverse patch for it?