News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with BS Dynami Tracer items translations (possible spoilers)  (Read 1281 times)

Alasker

• View Profile
Greetings,

I would like to request some assistance with reviewing item name translations from "BS Dynami Tracer" (SNES). All translations were done with automated translation tools and online dictionaries. As most of items are references to other Squaresoft games, I did some research into Japanese item names from Final Fantasy IV, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, even Hanjuku Hero, to translate those. It would be helpful is someone with more knowledge of those games could look into items list and point out errors. Suggestions are also welcome.
Here's a table with items list: https://lite.framacalc.org/9myj-dnh0cklwb8 . Add a comment or write suggestions in new column. Leave comment on forum, if that's more convenient.

As game can display only 8 characters for each item name, I've already prepared a column with shortened names. VWF and text expansion is beyond scope of first version of translation effort.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 04:53:53 pm by Alasker »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with BS Dynami Tracer items translations
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 11:47:51 pm »
Egads, you're really doing this!? Have you overcome the technical hurdles already?

I wish I had something to contribute other than my enthusiasm.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Alasker

• View Profile
Re: Help with BS Dynami Tracer items translations
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 04:53:28 pm »
I'm currently just doing research. Got all text strings dumped and somewhat "translated" (mostly using on online translation tools and dictionaries), just to get a better feel of what actually is going on in this game. Only a few items left unaccounted for, so after finishing that work I'll start hacking. I expect that there will be quite a few challenges with text insertion.
Worst case scenario - build a plugin for "Wanderbar" :)

KobaBeach

• bad smw asm hacker, bad programmer (he/they)
    • View Profile
Re: Help with BS Dynami Tracer items translations (possible spoilers)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 07:57:04 pm »
Tried to help a bit, sorry for messing up any formatting in your spreadsheet. Let me know if I can help further, graphics could help for a few and I THINK Dynami has graphics for items, not sure. I'm not 100% fluent though, just warning.
respectful, bad retranslation attempts, sort of japanese practice. not patch sadly.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 09:46:44 pm »
If it helps, this document about font and text data in the BS Chrono Trigger Music Library might be useful.
http://www.romhacking.net/documents/96/

And someone at one point examined the intro to Treasure Conflix (another BS Square game).  The link is dead, but fortunately it is preserved on the wayback machine.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=17364.0
https://web.archive.org/web/20150918232907/http://pantalytron.com/blog7.php/treasure-conflix-partial-intro-disassemble
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 10:29:15 pm »
DynamiTracer runs off a derivative of the Chrono Trigger engine. So stuff about the formats of Chrono Trigger is helpful, those other Satellaview releases, probably not so much.

A long time ago I was working on this game. I have some old technical information, but I don't know how much you already know. You already have the point values, for example.
Here are some treasure locations, currently absent from the sheet, that I have documented with names rather than numbers.
  • VIP Card: Return to the tower on Clock after collecting all other items from the city
  • Bromide: Use the VIP Card to get into the place on Adult; some characters need additional items to get in
  • Orange Stone & White Stone: apparently on Station in locked chests.
  • Flea Vest: same place you get the ribbon on Monster
  • Couple's Feelings (?): Clock, left area of city.
  • 100,000 Gil: Clock (lottery)
  • Cult's Sign: reward for completing the "cult" (Square games) quiz on Monster
The quiz may be another tough part: expecting people to know the exact answer to type into a limited space, and the answers are part of a compressed event packet.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 01:50:26 am by Vehek »

Alasker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 05:03:45 am »
Tried to help a bit, sorry for messing up any formatting in your spreadsheet. Let me know if I can help further, graphics could help for a few and I THINK Dynami has graphics for items, not sure.
Thank you for your contribution KobaBeach. Items do not have graphics, so some names can be deduced by context of the game, while others are just references to items in other Square games and have no relation to in game events. I did not play many of Japanese only Square games, so it was tricky finding translations for items-references.
I'm considering current items list "good enough" for testing, later it can be easily updated.

If it helps, this document about font and text data in the BS Chrono Trigger Music Library might be useful.
DynamiTracer runs off a derivative of the Chrono Trigger engine. So stuff about the formats of Chrono Trigger is helpful, those other Satellaview releases, probably not so much.
Thanks Jorpho and Vehek. As game is really similar to Chrono Trigger, I've already started looking into all CT hacking documents I can find. Even some control codes are practically the same.

VIP Card: Return to the tower on Clock after collecting all other items from the city
That was *the item* I couldn't find, among few others still unaccounted for. But after finding alternative way to get in Adults planet, and check dialog context, I forgot about it.

I have some old technical information, but I don't know how much you already know.
I've started from easier work: inserted 8x8 text and item translations for text that is uncompressed. Now I'm searching for compressed text (one used through control codes and in quiz answers), then probably look into VWF implementation for dialog text, but that could take a long time with my current skills. Main goal is to build a versatile tool to insert translations. Considering that ROM has to be expanded to fit longer English text and even some trickier stuff, like expanding character names at least by a single letter, there's a lot of work to be done.

As for quiz, it will be a challenge not only from hacking perspective, but from localization too, with all old Square games getting English releases now.