News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ganbare Goemon 3 (SFC) - crippling bugs and glitches  (Read 1191 times)

RetroProf

• View Profile
Ganbare Goemon 3 (SFC) - crippling bugs and glitches
« on: April 14, 2021, 04:50:18 am »
When the translation patch came out I tried to make a post in the official topic, twice, and both times it was deleted and I got a mod warning. Which is weird - I can't figure out why they would want to cover this up. I've now submitted a review.

Anyway, I played the fan-translation of:
Ganbare Goemon 3: Shishi Juurokubee no Karakuri Manjigatame on Super Famicom

And it is riddled with game breaking glitches and bugs. I can't work out if these were introduced by the patch, or if they're in the base game and the hackers who made the fan-translation just never bothered to fix them.

In the dungeon where there's the giant columns of flame, and you must push statues to activate them, I became permanently stuck. I found the 2nd statue, but rather than push it along to the switch, I walked past since I was low on health and wanted to first recharge before attempting it. When I reached the room with the switch the sound effects starting playing as if the flame had been activated, even though it had not. So I went back to where the statue was and it's now permanently missing. Back in the room with the switch the sound effects for the flame are on, but there's no flame and the barrier is still intact. You cannot get past it.

Clearly there's some problem with flag triggers. The trigger to remove the statue has been activated, as if you'd pushed it to the goal, even though you've not done so. Meaning the trigger if you place the statue on the switch is inactive - despite the trigger to not materialize the statue after doing so being active.

Or something akin to that.

Was this glitch introduced by the patch? Or is this game just badly written spaghetti code? Because TCRF shows there are multiple revisions, each one attempting to fix various bugs and glitches:
https://tcrf.net/Ganbare_Goemon_3:_Shishi_Juurokubei_no_Karakuri_Manjigatame

If this glitch was NOT introduced by the patch, would it be possible for hackers to look into this and correct the bugs? Often a fan-translation patch will address various game breaking bugs. So I was surprised to find this.

Dear Mods: Please do not delete my post here like the last two times in the official translation thread. Many thanks.  :angel:

This topic is less about me requesting work be done, and more about me asking if pre-existing work has introduced game breaking problems. I think it's a valid discussion topic.

JKPhage

• View Profile
Re: Ganbare Goemon 3 (SFC) - crippling bugs and glitches
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 10:48:27 am »
Considering the patch has been out for a while and you mention that you brought this up in the initial topic, I have to ask if you've updated the patch, as there were a few revisions afterwards, and this glitch was brought up by a few people. I can't seem to find any documentation at the moment, but I seem to recall some discussion of it, and an update being released that addressed this and another glitch. I may be incorrect, but it might be worth your while to double check that you're using the latest version of the translation.

Can't speak as to why a mod would delete your post or issue a warning, but that's a whole other can of worms. Regardless, this was a known bug with at least the initial release and I'm fairly sure it's fixed now.

RetroProf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 04:03:18 am »
Considering the patch has been out for a while and you mention that you brought this up in the initial topic, I have to ask if you've updated the patch, as there were a few revisions afterwards, and this glitch was brought up by a few people.

I was not aware of this - in the topic I posted in no one had mentioned it, so I think it's obviously been revised since then. I'm not sure if people discussed it on other forums or social media, I only checked here.

I gave up on the game at the time, and was only reminded of it now since I've since upgraded to a flashcart on real hardware (before was emulation). I think I'll have to check out this fix! Thank you!  :beer:

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 11:49:20 am »
As far as I know, the hack did not introduce any of these bugs, it merely made an attempt to fix one of them on V3, as noted on the patch's readme.

DDS is no longer active on RHDN, the submissions of his latest patches to the database were done by other people. I'm sure he's aware of any remaining bugs in the game (no need to try to contact him about it), but he has since moved on to several other projects. We can't know if he'll be interested to come back to this game at some point in the future. Your best bet is to try to fix the game's bugs yourself and submit them as an addendum. Or hope for someone else to do it.

One thing to note is that the translation used the first release of the game as a base (CRC32 7E5929E8), but according to No-Intro database there's two later revisions.

Ganbare Goemon 3 - Shishi Juurokubee no Karakuri Manjigatame (Japan)
Ganbare Goemon 3 - Shishi Juurokubee no Karakuri Manjigatame (Japan) (Rev 1)
Ganbare Goemon 3 - Shishi Juurokubee no Karakuri Manjigatame (Japan) (Rev 2)

Maybe the later revisions took care of the glitches? A good place to start would be to try to reproduce the glitches on Rev 2. If they don't happen, my guess is that the shortest route to implementing them in the translation at this point would be to port any related code changes from Rev 2 to the already translated game (not the other way around).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 01:02:20 pm by acediez »