News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: 8bitdo Pro 2  (Read 533 times)

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
8bitdo Pro 2
« on: April 13, 2021, 12:55:39 pm »
I've been using Switch Pro controllers with my media PC for a little over a year now: I use a program called reWASD to make them act like Xbox controllers and to bind the Share button to a keyboard key so as to make it a functional button.

But lately I've become infuriated by just how shitty the dpad is on these things (How the company that literally invented the dpad could fuck that up is beyond me), even the newer revision that made some marginal improvements to the design.

I saw a review of a controller 8bitdo was coming out with called the Pro 2, which is compatible with PC, Android, OSX and Switch: I've only ever owned one of their controllers (The ridiculously tiny Zero 2 that I keep on my keychain to use with my phone) but it's decent enough that I bothered to preorder two of the black models, which arrived this morning.

I'm kind of blown away by this thing. It's basically a mutant SNES pad with analog sticks, and the dpad is just as good as on them. Shmups, fighting games and side scrolling platformers are so much easier to play VS the Switch Pro controller I'm having a hard time thinking of how to describe it. Putting it in Switch mode made it a drop in replacement on my media PC, so once I paired it reWASD picked it up and off it went.

The analog sticks are also really good: Not too tight or loose, and decently clicky when pressed (and at the risk of starting a holy war I actually prefer symmetrical stick placement). Rumble is also supported and feels really strong, especially compared to what the Switch Pro controller's feels like.

The face buttons and L1/R1 feels like a SNES pad, but the L2 and R2 triggers feel a little mushy to me: Since it's running in Switch mode (Which has digital L2/R2 triggers) it's not that big of a deal for me, but it may be if you're running it in XInput mode. The "Heart" and "Star" buttons are level with the face of the controller, so they're not easy to hit by accident (Since I bind these to Exit Game and Fast Forward, respectively, that's a big deal for my particular use case). It also has two bottom triggers that can be assigned via a program 8bitdo makes.

Said software allows you to do several things: You can remap buttons, adjust sensitivity/deadzones for the analog stick and even bind macros. What's neat is that the profile settings are written to the controller itself: Up to three different profiles can be stored, and can be toggled by hitting the button between the analog sticks. A nice touch is that it remembers the last used profile when turned back on: I ended up making both map L3 and R3 to the bottom triggers which makes a lot of games much easier to play.

It has about 20 hours of battery life with the included battery pack: It's accessible via a door on the back, so no having to unscrew the outer layers of the controller like with the Swich Pro Controller. The pack actually fits into two standard AA slots, so you can even use normal batteries if you want.

They appear to be out of stock most places right now, but for $50 they're pretty amazing controllers. I highly recommend them if you want something that has both a good dpad and analog sticks.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
Re: 8bitdo Pro 2
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 03:22:18 pm »
I was going to get one of these but I couldn't wait until April to replace my joycons so I got a switch pro controller instead.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: 8bitdo Pro 2
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 02:23:29 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I'm waiting to get one until I see some more reviews, but I'm still wanting to get one of these because you can even update firmware from mobile using the app, according to Amazon's questions answered by 8bitdo themselves.

That's a really neat thing to have for a controler solely used on your emu device, or for people who don't have any kind of PC (laugh all you want, this is more and more common).