News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: NBA Jam 21: The Definite Edition?  (Read 1077 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: NBA Jam 21: The Definite Edition?
« on: April 13, 2021, 08:39:52 am »

Update By: ponlork

For years people have been yearning for an Arcade mod of NBA Jam TE, and those people will have to keep waiting. But user Ponlork is bringing that dream one step closer to reality with his NBA Jam 21 mod for the PlayStation 1 which is the closest you'll get to the Arcade experience at home. Other than the Arcade version of course.

Rather than being stuck in development hell for years, Ponlork opted to go for the incremental approach of releasing updates periodically until the ultimate goal of replacing the entire roster with today’s NBA Players is complete. Version 1.1 adds 15 new players into the mix (10 active, 2 legends, and 3 secret characters).

These players consist of Lebron James, Nikola Jokic, Kawhi Leonard, Kyrie Irving, Bradley Beal, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Joel Embiid, Luka Doncic, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, The Incredible Hulk, Cyberpunk and Snoop Dogg. The full 2021 NBA All-Star starting lineup is featured!

What separates this mod from other NBA Jam mods before it is that all the players have distinction. Every player has their own unique head sprites and the resolution is large enough to recognize the faces. The announcer calls each player by name, there's varying skin tone palettes, and there's a sprite scaling feature that is able to resize the players which gives it a extra level of depth.

In addition to that, NBA Jam 21 restores a lost feature that was disabled due to pressure from Congress to minimize videogame violence in the early 90s. If you're familiar with the slang term "Posterized", it's a term used for when a player gets dunked on so emphatically that he is sent tumbling to the floor. This falling effect along with the backboard shattering were originally in the game but were eventually removed.

The Posterized feature is fully restored and the author is hopeful to one day restore the backboard glass shattering effect too. Although it's still early, it's exciting to see what's coming down the pipeline. Boom Shakalaka!

Visit the project page here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5700/

There's also a trailer that slaps. Peep game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQYOx-gd00s

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

mogulluxe

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: NBA Jam 21: The Definite Edition?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 12:34:01 am »
This is an absolutely awesome hack! I hope the inbound passes get sped up soon.
My only issue is that I don't have music in my version. I'm playing on original hardware via PSIO. Sound effects work just fine, but no music...only silence.
Can someone please assist. Thanks much!!!