News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Dragon Warrior I&II (GBC) gets Modern Spell Names  (Read 1382 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Dragon Warrior I&II (GBC) gets Modern Spell Names
« on: April 11, 2021, 07:40:01 am »

Update By: jimjam707

After a whole afternoon in the making, the 'Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 - Spell Name Update' ROM hack for the Gameboy Color versions of Dragon Warrior 1 and 2 is finally out!

The patch replaces the older styled spell names (Firebal, Firebane, Explodet, etc.) with the new(er) names used by the series in English localisations since Dragon Quest VIII on the Playstation 2 (Sizz, Sizzle, Kaboom, etc.). Nothing else in the ROM is changed except spell names so all existing saves should continue to work.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Dragon Warrior I&II (GBC) gets Modern Spell Names
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 02:14:16 pm »
Oh yeah, thanks for this!  This is honestly the only thing I didn't like about these games, and I can't wait to get this on the ol' flashcart.

jimjam707

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 06:13:40 am »
Oh yeah, thanks for this!  This is honestly the only thing I didn't like about these games, and I can't wait to get this on the ol' flashcart.
Haha no worries, this was my first venture into ROM hacking of any kind but I'm happy with the way it all turned out

Choppasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 06:38:06 pm »
Oh I meant to email you Jim jam, but I figured I’d let you know here. The two exclusive spells, Radiant and Open have official modern names, Glow and Click respectively.

That’s it, otherwise great work!

Edit: I missed a couple others Surround should be Dazzle and Defense should be Kasap.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 06:47:03 pm by Choppasmith »

jimjam707

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 08:23:27 pm »
Oh I meant to email you Jim jam, but I figured I’d let you know here. The two exclusive spells, Radiant and Open have official modern names, Glow and Click respectively.

That’s it, otherwise great work!

Edit: I missed a couple others Surround should be Dazzle and Defense should be Kasap.

Ah I knew something would slip through, thank you for the heads up. I'll fix this tomorrow after work.

slimehunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 11:27:37 pm »
Thanks for this. Especially for people who are new to the series, this makes it that much more approachable. Kudos!