News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Best NES emulator for Mac OS/OpenEmu?  (Read 589 times)

brownjacket

• View Profile
Best NES emulator for Mac OS/OpenEmu?
« on: April 09, 2021, 08:04:12 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to find an emulator that can run NES ROM hacks smoothly on Mac OS. Right now I'm using OpenEmu with the NEStopia core. It runs most NES ROMs well but ROM hacks like Super Mario Bros 3mix and Metroid mOTHER run miserably. I was wondering if anyone knew a better NES emulator for Mac or better yet if I can use that emulator as the core for my OpenEmu.

Thank you!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Best NES emulator for Mac OS/OpenEmu?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 11:46:04 am »
The 100% best is Mesen for hacks and translations due to its combination of accuracy and mapper support, but it doesn't have much of a mac port unfortunately.

OpenEmu has two cores, FCEUX and Nestopia, which are usually the backbone of NES emulation outside of Mesen when it comes to systems like OpenEmu and RetroArch.  Basically, you want to download both of them and switch betwen them when needed.  Nestopia is still good, but the hack support is very limited compared to Mesen and FCEUX.

These days you could probably just get away with FCEUX too since they keep that updated.

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 01:51:01 pm »
OpenEmu with the Nestopia core is generally the best for OpenEmu, but the rule of thumb should be use Nestopia as your default, and switch to FCEUX for games that don't play nice with it, like many game hacks. In OpenEmu you can override the core per game after starting the game, just click the Options gear and navigate to Core.

Since Mesen standalone is not available for Mac, if using a combination of Nestopia and FCEUX cores in OpenEmu is not desirable, your next best bet would be to install Retroarch and use the Mesen core if your Mac is powerful enough to support it.

KennithTillman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 06:34:22 am »
You can try one of these emulators from this list that I found online. Personally, I use retroarch. You can try it once, almost every game runs very smoothly on it.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 10:19:05 am »
Recommending ZSNES in 2021. :banghead:
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 06:27:57 pm »
You can try one of these emulators from this list that I found online. Personally, I use retroarch. You can try it once, almost every game runs very smoothly on it.
Problem: RetroArch itself is not an emulator in the same way OpenEmu is not an emulator.  OP would still have the same questions about NES as they would be faced with the same cores, and last I checked Mesen is only really on the MacOS version in spirit.