News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: PSA: Some games actually *need* script editing  (Read 4520 times)

PowerPanda

• View Profile
Re: PSA: Some games actually *need* script editing
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2021, 10:07:52 am »
FF4 SNES's translation was so god awful that the translator got fired and Ted Woolsey had to be hired.

Wasn't it that they didn't use native speakers for translation, and FFIV proved that they needed to? I know that Woolsey came on board for FFV, but the game was never released in the west until Final Fantasy Anthology. Was that Woolsey's translation that got released?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2021, 10:44:11 am »
FF4 SNES's translation was so god awful that the translator got fired and Ted Woolsey had to be hired.

That was Kaoru Moriyama who did the translation for FFIV, she wasn't fired as she went onto work on Secret of Mana's translation several years later.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2021, 10:52:14 am »
That was Kaoru Moriyama who did the translation for FFIV, she wasn't fired as she went onto work on Secret of Mana's translation several years later.

I just finished replaying SoM last night and I can confirm she is listed as translator, though Ted Woolsey is also credited. It would seem that she was not let go from the company, so far as I can tell, but there is little other information about why she stopped working for Square.

Maybe she had kids and wanted to focus on that? Who knows...
Yamero~~!

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2021, 03:15:16 pm »
My vague recollection was that she was just a secretary or office worker at the company who happened to have some English skill, so they had her do translating. I don't have any links/docs to back that up at the moment though, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were the case.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2021, 03:07:17 am »
My vague recollection was that she was just a secretary or office worker at the company who happened to have some English skill, so they had her do translating. I don't have any links/docs to back that up at the moment though, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were the case.
The director/creator of Ogre Battle manned the phones and had to field complaints from players (if only we could do the same to Todd Howard), so grabbing the nearest warm body who took English classes and making them translate was par for the course.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2021, 06:10:29 am »
I know that Woolsey came on board for FFV, but the game was never released in the west until Final Fantasy Anthology. Was that Woolsey's translation that got released?

If I am remembering right, Woolsey only barely got started on it, and was pulled to go work on Secret of Mana/Final Fantasy Mystic Quest almost immediately, when the hammer came down on its stateside release. I don't know if whatever he got done was eventually sent to TOSE, but I do believe they handled the FF Anthology Translations.

How little is actually known about TOSE as a company is by design; they are somewhat mercenary in their business philosophy, seemingly preferring to avoid any public attention and just churn out the work as quickly and efficiently as they possibly can, and they are subcontractors that have worked with just about every big name game dev there is.
Yamero~~!

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2021, 08:19:29 am »
I've always had the feeling that a lot was lost in translation in the game Terranigma (SNES). I would be greatly interested if anyone would ever consider retranslating that gem of a game.  :)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2021, 08:22:10 am »
I'm not sure if someone else (or maybe me, already) already said this, but I would actually enjoy a proper retranslation of Breath of Fire I. I played the shit out of it back in the summer of 1995 I think. Been wishy washy about it ever since, as better games began to come out and it was more or less relegated to the era of crap game translations that came before it. BoF2's botched translation comes to mind as well, but that's already been fixed up real good by Ryusui years and years ago.

Another couple I'm thinking of in the same vein are Shining Force 1 and 2. They're SRPGs but they're SRPGs big on charm.
Yamero~~!

KobaBeach

• bad smw asm hacker, bad programmer (he/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2021, 02:08:35 am »
Replying to the OP, a big problem with stuff like FFVI retranslations and less experienced retranslations in general is that a lot of the time they're made by people who don't speak Japanese very well and are wet behind the ears in terms of translation and localization so it usually ends up being very stilted, wooden and insistent on Japanese wording transposed into English with no alteration.

Like it or not if you're going to translate a work of art you have to make it flow properly in the translated language, and sometimes the source text doesn't work as well in the output language. I'm not saying add poop jokes and crass humor like some parts of Working Designs' work of course, I'm saying you have to make it feel like the characters are actually speaking the language and aren't just weird robots emoting machine translated gobbledygook.

Sometimes you'll get stuff like the "bruh moment" or "I'm taking the L here aren't I" quotes in two of the Trails games, yes, but I'm personally not taken aback by silly pop culture jokes, as much as they date the game. Blame it on growing up with western animation, not that Japanese animation doesn't have its share of pop culture and slang to draw upon.

Ryusui's outstanding work on BoF2, r-slurs aside, is the exception rather than the rule sadly.

why can't we get a script edit for something that needs it
*stares at wild arms 2*
Preach babey

Possibly one of my most favorite JRPGs with a really interesting story, but it's held back by a trash translation. vivify @ your earlier post in this thread, if you do this I'll be forever thankful to you, this game means a lot to me since I finished it like a few months ago.

Shout outs to the Gagharv trilogy too (which were actually mentioned earlier too, surprise surprise), also huge faves. Guan and others from Geofront actually tried hacking the PC releases to backport the PSP versions' (which I think are passable in terms of gameplay, just super low budget) shoddy scripts as a test for later editing, retranslating and rewriting before being busy with Trails to Zero.

The day the PC Gagharv games get a Trails quality translation is the day I'll die a happy man. If Legend of Heroes II also gets one then all the better, even though I heard that one has some horrible dungeon design, still at the Prologue. Still need to play TGCD Legend of Heroes 1, only played PC98.
Bara, anciently spelt Baro, is an agricultural parish in East Lothian, Scotland, which adjoins the parish of Garvald to the east, and Lauder across the Lammermuir Hills. It is south-west of Haddington.