News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: PSA: Some games actually *need* script editing  (Read 7322 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
PSA: Some games actually *need* script editing
« on: April 07, 2021, 08:21:37 pm »
(Originally Stop making FF6 Script Edits)
The poor thing's had enough.

It's to the point where I, someone who was literally obsessed with hacking away at this script for years, now regret having touched the thing. I can't even play any other version except the vanilla SNES version anymore, just so that I'll know that it hasn't been edited by an over-obsessed superfan.

It seems like people can't resist trying to edit FF6's script. I feel like there needs to be a disclaimer on the front of RHDN that "Yes there are already 12 different scripts for FF6, please don't."

Is anyone else tired of this? I would go as far as to retract my work, but perhaps that's overreacting a bit; I do wish that SE would please put together a full remake of it, just so that there could be a new official version of it. I don't even care if it's any good. I just want the endless deluge of re-re-re-editing to stop, or at least pause for a while.

Maybe I'm going overboard here, and yeah, I get it that I can't stop anyone from doing this. But holy crap, it was an unoriginal idea when I did it back in 2012. -_- Ugh.

Edit: At Piyotr's suggestion:

Quote from: Piyotr
Actually lets change this topic to what official translations need relocalizations/translations!

...I have renamed the thread, "Some games actually *need* script edits." Is there a game that you think could use a pass? Do tell? (Grabs tea, stirs)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 03:09:42 am by Spooniest »
Yamero~~!

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Stop making FF6 script edits
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 08:36:15 pm »
There honestly have only been two that I know of that use actual translations instead of just localizations or rewrites. So we still could use one true final one. PSA stop telling other people not do what they want with their own time :)
I still don't have my faithful dewooslied translation (FF6 retranslated is basically it but it apparently has game breaking bugs)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 08:37:37 pm »
Are the script edits attempts to fix things and to make for more accurate translations? Or do they change the story completely into a fanfic of sorts?

I gotta say, when a game has an overwhelming amount of hacks I tend to stay away from those. It seems to me that quantity usually means low quality and I won't even take the time to look through them to see what they're about. A rating system could help fix this, but this is an old idea that never went anywhere. There are probably reasons for that.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 08:40:11 pm »
Are the script edits attempts to fix things and to make for more accurate translations? Or do they change the story completely into a fanfic of sorts?

I gotta say, when a game has an overwhelming amount of hacks I tend to stay away from those. It seems to me that quantity usually means low quality and I won't even take the time to look through them to see what they're about. A rating system could help fix this, but this is an old idea that never went anywhere. There are probably reasons for that.
There are about 5 or so reLOCALIZED versions which just clean up the script, there is a few rewrites, the woosley edition that I don't look into because I want a more faithful one and retranslated (A few more also like skyrenders early work he basically disowned)

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 10:10:39 pm »
To be terribly cynical, I intend on playing the GBA port first because I love my little GBA and there's a more manageable pile of hacks for it.  Notably only one script hack and it looks well-recommended.  I haven't played FF6 yet so I can't comment too much but I wonder why everyone wants to tweak it.

Hemlock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 10:26:31 pm »
Now watch as we get a million script edits for FF4.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 12:16:26 am »
Now watch as we get a million script edits for FF4.
We do have quite a few

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 01:56:56 am »
why can't we get a script edit for something that needs it
*stares at wild arms 2*

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 03:04:51 am »
*stares at wild arms 2*
*stares at Final fantasy 4s psp version* Can we port the ds script to the psp version? Would be nice, less pop culture references!
Actually lets change this topic to what official translations need relocalizations/translations!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 03:06:35 am »
*stares at Final fantasy 4s psp version* Can we port the ds script to the psp version? Would be nice, less pop culture references!

Sure, ok!
Yamero~~!

iridium_ionizer

• The universe is complicated. Get used to it.
    • View Profile
    • Iridium Ionizer's Retro Projects
Re: PSA: Some games actually *need* script editing
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 03:27:41 am »
I do wish that SE would please put together a full remake of it, just so that there could be a new official version of it. I don't even care if it's any good.

Be careful what you wish for, Square-Enix will release a mostly faithful remake with amazing remastered 3D graphics and symphonic sound, but they will change the ending to something quite different just to generate controversy and the free press that accompanies it. And maybe to get you to buy the re-remaster in 20 more years.
:thumbsup:

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 04:05:46 am »
Be careful what you wish for, Square-Enix will release a mostly faithful remake with amazing remastered 3D graphics and symphonic sound, but they will change the ending to something quite different just to generate controversy and the free press that accompanies it. And maybe to get you to buy the re-remaster in 20 more years.
They will also make it action combat!

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 05:29:18 am »
oh i love threads devolving into "tetsuya nomura stole my binky"

Hemlock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 09:02:14 am »
Enjoy remake and then get excited for next remake.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 10:29:07 am »
...I have renamed the thread, "Some games actually *need* script edits." Is there a game that you think could use a pass? Do tell? (Grabs tea, stirs)
I'd like to bring up pretty much anything by Working Designs.  Because well, love or hate them it's still Working Designs.

I'd also enjoy seeing something for Illusion of Gaia and especially Terranigma; it's more like the NTSC version needs a translation in general for the latter.  I saw one for SoulBlazer, and my own leeriness aside I really didn't feel like it needed much of an edit in the first place outside of a couple instances.  The script is pretty frank about life and death and everything inbetween for the most part.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:53:29 am by Chronosplit »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2021, 02:35:23 pm »
*stares at wild arms 2*
i would love to do a script edit of wild arms 2.

as well as clock tower ii: the struggle within. someone actually created an undub of the struggle within, but it needs the japanese character names. the gasps/laughs are also still in english, unfortunately. as is the true ending FMV b/c the undubber wasn't able to add subtitles.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Netmonmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 04:08:34 pm »
i would love to do a script edit of wild arms 2.

You would forever be my hero if you did this.
I've been replaying the game recently for some friends, and it has some extreme pronoun trouble and Japanese onomatopoeia even at the best of times.
I know there's a Spanish translation out there, so the tools to edit it exist in some capacity.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2021, 04:35:59 pm »
Part of it is that FF6 has a really easy script editing tool, so that even an idiot can do it. Part of it is that it has 2 official translations that both have their ups and downs. And part of it is that it's a story-heavy game that people love. I personally think that Revised Old Style Edition is my go-to, even if it's new to the scene.

As for games that REALLY need revision, I would love to see an FFVIII script that makes Rinoa talk like an adult, rather than a 13-year-old girl. I recognize that might not be a true "translation", but I'd play it regardless. Also, if someone went into Chrono Cross and removed the "accent system", I'd be interested.

Hemlock

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 06:46:55 pm »
The Megaman Battle Network games from 2 onwards probably need their scripts edited, especially 4. There's enough typos and mistranslations in 4 to kill OP.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2021, 07:30:58 pm »
The Megaman Battle Network games from 2 onwards probably need their scripts edited, especially 4. There's enough typos and mistranslations in 4 to kill OP.
There's a bugfix patch that does deal with some of 4's worst problems (leg's go!) but I agree that there's some serious quality issues in general that need to be dealt with.

There's also a translation for the japanese version of 6 due to the large amount of cut content that never made it overseas, might be worth looking into, espeically since mGBA has e-reader and gate support now: https://forums.therockmanexezone.com/rockman-exe6-english-patches-t5507.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 07:46:28 pm by Chronosplit »