News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: NES Metroid HD Pack  (Read 120448 times)

Aclectico

• View Profile
Re: NES Metroid HD Pack
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2021, 01:00:33 pm »
Ok, the demonstrations helped - thank you. I think you are right that the new version seems to fit a little better. I can see how it sounded a bit strange. But, many with an untrained ear probably couldn't put their finger on why (myself included).

I'm just tying up some loose ends before the next release. I will most likely include the adjusted pitch version in the next rev level (along with credit). I may also take a look at increasing the volume of the music tracks a couple of decibels (while keeping the SFX level the same). I may still have some wiggle room before clipping is an issue for some of the files.

Thanks!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2021, 01:03:28 pm »
Not a problem. It is a subject of some debate in music circles, whether someone can train to have a good sense of pitch, or is just born with it, but for a very very long time (since I was about 17 or 18, in fact) people have been telling me that I have a near-perfect sense of pitch.

It's not something I ever trained for... It just so happens.
Yamero~~!

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2021, 03:56:17 pm »
Version 1.5 of Metroid: HD is now available for download at the start of this forum thread. A video overview of new features can be found here (re-post): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo5e4nF1zBs

A changelog can be found below:

#Changelog for Version 1.5#
   -Increased frame count for heat wave effects in Norfair and Ridley's lair.
   -Most enemies now disappear during door transitions - No more cheap Rinka door deaths (special thanks to P0ZN0).
   -More predictable bomb laying mechanic (special thanks to P0ZN0).
   -Fixed glitch with the wave beam and ice beam icons shown at the file select screen (special thanks to delta7890).
   -Fixed graphic glitch that occurs with frozen Rinkas when the player is using the Zero suit (special thanks to delta7890).
   -Fixed graphic glitch that occurs with energy pickups in Tourian when the player is using the Zero suit (special thanks to delta7890).
   -Fixed graphic glitch that occurs with red doors in Tourian when the player is using the Zero suit (special thanks to delta7890).
   -Minor adjustment to music volume level.
   -Minor pitch adjustment for "GotAnItem" sound file (special thanks to Spooniest).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:36:12 pm by Aclectico »

Joaco

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2021, 12:39:21 am »
i made loops for the super metroid version of the kraid and ridley battle themes in nes style for the 8bitroid version of this pack, i thought i may as well leave it here if anyone wants to use them
https://www.mediafire.com/file/zsz7fcg13t6tb36/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:54:15 am by Joaco »

applejuice8432

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2021, 01:08:57 am »
thank you for this!

what version of mesen is recommended for this? i didn't see anything in the OP like in the zelda topic

i have 0.9.9.62 debug, mkwong98's newest fork version (0.9.9-210415) and sours 0.9.9

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2021, 12:05:59 pm »
I'm glad you like it. If you plan on just playing it without making changes, the pack should work with rev level 9.6 or higher.

If you would like to customize anything via the HD Pack Builder feature of Mesen (or if you'd like to do something manually in the hires.txt file), it's usually safest to edit in a legacy version 9.6.

The reason that the Zelda pack requires a higher version is because it takes advantage of some new features and adjusted syntax that were implemented later on (multi-layer backgrounds being one of those features). The Metroid pack doesn't feature some of those latest changes.

Unfortunately, a stable build that included multi-layer backgrounds was never created on the main Mesen site. For this reason, I point most individuals to just use mkwong98's version when it comes to gameplay as that should really work for most anything now.

DarakuTenshi

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2021, 06:56:53 pm »
How do I get past the door after killing Ridley? Looks like a Super Bomb is needed, but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2021, 07:59:59 am »
How do I get past the door after killing Ridley? Looks like a Super Bomb is needed, but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Spoiler:

It should work if you fire 10 missiles at it