News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Help, I forgot. How do I search for compressed text in a NES game?  (Read 672 times)

reyvgm

• View Profile
Like 10 years ago, I used to find compressed text in NES games all the time, but now I completely forgot how to do it.

I know how to build a table and everything, but to first find the values to build the table, I need to find at least one compressed word/letter. So how I do it when most hex editors just show you the uncompressed text?

The game in question is Athletic World, which is a really early NES game that shouldn't be too difficult to crack.

*edit*
Forget it, I remember now. I needed to use a program called Font Searcher, which finds compressed text. And with that I could build the table file!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Help, I forgot. How do I search for compressed text in a NES game?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 09:33:14 pm »
Not sure exactly what you mean by "compressed" here.

Anyway, is "Font Searcher" available here on rhdn..?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 01:00:56 am »
If it was ACTUALLY compressed (and not just stored in an unusual format),
you would need to use debugging skills to find the ASM code to decompress it, read it, understand it, write a decompressor in a higher level language. Then optionally repeat the process in reverse to make a compressor.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 02:58:48 am »
Well, maybe compressed wasn't the correct term. What I mean is text that's not seen in plain text format when you open the rom with a hex editor (or even notepad+).

Anyway, is "Font Searcher" available here on rhdn..?

Yes, the actual name is SearchR3. I guess I must have renamed the exe to "font searcher" a million years ago.