News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Colorblind support for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine: DX Edition  (Read 1894 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: RadioTails

The improvements hack for "Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine: DX Edition" has been updated to Version 2.0! Go and check it out!

One feature that has been added is a colorblind mode (based on this Sonic Mania mod: https://gamebanana.com/skins/161232) for people who have:
- Tritanopia (Missing S-cone - blue)
- Deuteranopia (Missing M-cone - green)
- Protanopia (Missing L-cone - red)

Just go to the OPTIONS section, and under COLORBLIND MODE, select the required filter to use. Currently only the palettes used by the beans and options text have been updated, but this should help with identifying the beans on the playing field.

What are you waiting for? Go and capture those beans!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Nosuch

• View Profile
I'm not colorblind but even just from an aesthetic standpoint I like this. There's something pleasant about the palette set being previewed here.

CrispX

• View Profile
Why you guys donĀ“t make a nother remake version with the newest sonic bad guys?  ;D

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
It looks great, the only pieces that sometimes confuse me are the pinks with the light blue ones, but it plays quite well :thumbsup:
twitter | deviantart | Better a small finished project than a thousand giant ideas stuck in your system.

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
It looks great, the only pieces that sometimes confuse me are the pinks with the light blue ones, but it plays quite well :thumbsup:

Which filter are you refering to?

For reference (from left to right, use 1 to 6 to mention which bean):

No Filter

Tritanopia

Protanopia

Deuteranopia

My guess is you are talking about Tritanopia, and referring to bean 2 and 5? If so, I can replace one of those beans to become grey.

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
Sorry for the confusion, I was unaware that there was more than one version of the patch, since I tested the copy that you had provided to me, assuming it was the only one, I'm really sorry :thumbsup:

On the other hand, I was referring to the color configuration of the first capture, it is strange, since when I look at them carefully I clearly notice the difference, but in the course of a game I suffer a kind of delay to distinguish them correctly, which makes me commit lots of mistakes, confusing them all the time or delaying my reaction.

That said, I don't know if this could be relevant information, but at first glance I think that the configuration that best suits my problem is "Deuteranopia".

Unfortunately I am currently unable to spend the time to test it properly, but I will do my best to do so shortly.

Finally, I didn't want to miss the opportunity to thank you for creating this hack, it's no secret that developers usually put aside people like me, depriving us of the possibility of enjoying all kinds of games, thank you and excuse us for the late response :beer:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 08:05:42 am by sics »
twitter | deviantart | Better a small finished project than a thousand giant ideas stuck in your system.

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
The one I sent you was more of a test, and it sounds like I sent the the wrong type to test. But I will need to make some improvements:
- For Tritanopia, the Green bean (5) will be changed to grey like Tritanopia like Protanopia and Deuteranopia.
- Protanopia and Deuteranopia bean (6 - garbage bean) will be set to white like Tritanopia.

I will look at changing the background colors as well, but I need to do some testing.