News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Lady Jess Projects  (Read 2911 times)

Lady Jessica

• High Priest
    • View Profile
Lady Jess Projects
« on: March 28, 2021, 06:41:24 am »
Under pressure from some people around me, I've decided to finally surface here and make a thread for my projects, most of which are typically translations.

Air Management '96
(aka Aerobiz '96, remake of Aerobiz)

(Yeah, the screenshot size/aspect isn't quite ideal, sorry.)
I know that someone in the past had a project for the Saturn version of this, but I've been working on a translation of the PlayStation version of this game. I have no idea how to modify the graphics at the moment. I suspect the only graphics in need of modification are in the "COMMAND.GDT" file, but I don't know this file's format whatsoever, and at the moment I can't find the time to even begin to figure it out... not that I'm even sure where to start. Virtually all of the text should be in English aside from the graphics, but a lot of it is untested in terms of formatting and stability. Still, I'm providing an early patch right here, to apply to the game's bin (bin/cue format). This is considered to be late alpha or early beta. It should be mostly, if not entirely playable, but there are bound to be issues besides just the few untranslated graphics.

Version 0.8: Fixed several poorly-formatted strings and implemented complete English company name entry.

SendSpace: https://www.sendspace.com/file/n25za0
RHDN: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/6147/

Royal Blood II ~Dinar Kingdom Era~
(aka Gemfire II)

I've replaced all of the text in the game's program and scenario files, but the "Message.rb2" file (which contains all of the dialogue text, which is rather less than you'd expect) has an absolutely mind numbing format that eludes me at the moment; something like half-width katakana being used for both full-width katakana and full-width hiragana with some sort of toggle code. If anyone knows the deal there, by all means I would accept any help. Patch will only be compatible with the Japanese version of the game. Current alpha is considered "barely useful enough to play the game."

SendSpace: https://www.sendspace.com/file/8kp45k (re-upped 6/29/2021)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 07:08:40 am by Lady Jessica »

goldenband

• View Profile
Re: Lady Jess Projects
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 02:32:59 pm »
Very nice, and really great to see Koei games getting some attention.

I have a copy of the hacker's materials from the abandoned Saturn translation of Air Management '96, so if those materials can be of any help, let me know. (I don't expect you'll need them, but if you do, thought I'd offer.)

Lady Jessica

• High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 05:05:12 pm »
I have a copy of the hacker's materials from the abandoned Saturn translation of Air Management '96, so if those materials can be of any help, let me know. (I don't expect you'll need them, but if you do, thought I'd offer.)
Could be interesting to see, at least, even though everything they might have touched should already be done here.

DragonAtma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 03:05:40 pm »
Aha! As someone who enjoyed Gemfire far too much, I'm glad to see Gemfire II is finally getting translated.
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
My mods: Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, Gemfire, 7th Saga, and more

Prock78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 04:51:39 am »
Hello!
Thanks for translating this game Lady Jessica! I'm really interested in this game, but it seems the download link for this alpha or beta patch doesn't work anymore, could you please upload it again? Thanks!  :)

Lady Jessica

• High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 07:43:50 am »
Hello!
Thanks for translating this game Lady Jessica! I'm really interested in this game, but it seems the download link for this alpha or beta patch doesn't work anymore, could you please upload it again? Thanks!  :)
I have re-uploaded the patches. I will probably upload them to RHDN proper sometime in the near future.

DonPatchi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 07:05:43 am »
Hello, I got q question regarding the Air management 96 patch.
I couldn't produce your exact target hash, so i tried anyway on what i have. And it works but looks kinda buggy specially on company name screen:

Is it supposed to look like this? If not maybe i need this exact iso?

Air Management '96 (Japan).bin
File/ROM SHA-1: 5D7B49D0C3FBF5C888C415B7482BCFA07107C77B
File/ROM CRC32: B0723FF1

How do you produce it?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 07:12:08 am by DonPatchi »

Lady Jessica

• High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 09:32:30 am »
Ah, you've probably done everything right -- I just kind of forgot about that screen.
It's definitely more than a bit buggy. The left sets are half-width characters that the game supports, but due to the way the screen formats itself, most of them are invisible on the name entry screen.
It needs to be reprogrammed proper, but that's a bit beyond me at the moment. I've put together notes about what I think I will do to fix it, but name entry always is a bit of a nightmare with romhacking, isn't it? It'll get reprogrammed eventually but is still "usable" in its current form if you know where things are.
Similarly the game is a bit finnicky about half-width in names, they mostly work but backspace is a bit glitchy (erases two letters at a time, natch) and names that are too long may cause VRAM overflow issues.

For the next version I will most likely temporarily restrain name entry to only the full-width characters until a better fix can be worked out, or will include a note about the actual layout of the characters until I can fix it. Thing is, the game does not support lowercase full-width (or I would have just set the name entry to use only full-width in the first place.)

Code: [Select]
ABCDE Z -,. abcde z     UVWXY
FGHIJ 01234 fghij ABCDE Z
KLMNO 56789 klmno FGHIJ
PQRST !?:;$ pqrst KLMNO
UVWXY       uvwxy PQRST  End

tl;dr stick to the letters on the right and you'll be fine, or keep company name to about 7 characters if using the glitchy-looking rest of the screen. Your patch application is fine, this is just shoddy work on my part and I apologize.

In general the patch should, theoretically, work correctly with virtually any bin (or track 1 bin for multi-bins) of the PSX version of the game as it's made to target the specific filenames within it without regards to exact file locations, and it seems like the file contents were not changed in any of the re-releases.

Any buggy-looking issues anywhere else in the build text-wise I should be able to fix in the next revision as long as they're brought up. Although at the moment I have absolutely no idea how to edit the button graphics (i.e. for player count), but there aren't many of them to worry about, fortunately.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 09:55:19 am by Lady Jessica »

DonPatchi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 02:41:31 am »
It's ok to be buggy, i just wanted to make sure i was doing it right.

Another thing i noticed about the name screen, you can't delete the first letter of the name.
You can delete all but the first but if you insert any second letter (it must be a half width/invisible ones) and then hit X it will delete both clearing the entire name.  :laugh:

Some early menus show up in Jp but most will guess what they are. If these are graphics (i can't tell) ignore this part since you said those aren't done:
https://imgur.com/a/iarwbad

Thanks for the translation.

Lady Jessica

• High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 08:42:50 am »
Another thing i noticed about the name screen, you can't delete the first letter of the name.
You can delete all but the first but if you insert any second letter (it must be a half width/invisible ones) and then hit X it will delete both clearing the entire name.  :laugh:
Yeah, this is expected behavior. It expects to delete 2 bytes at a time (1 full-width character), so it can't quite handle deleting a single half-width character. If I can manage to reprogram the name entry screen as intended, I would certainly make it delete 1 byte at a time instead.

Some early menus show up in Jp but most will guess what they are. If these are graphics (i can't tell) ignore this part since you said those aren't done:
https://imgur.com/a/iarwbad
Yeah, these are graphics. There's only one or two very minor Japanese graphics within the actual gameplay, most of it is just the initial setup as seen here.

Edit, 7/3/2021 at 7:13:12 AM
I've uploaded v0.8 of the Aerobiz '96 translation.
Name edit is fully hacked and implemented now, and many poorly-formatted strings have been fixed.
A readme has been included with translations for all untranslated graphics.
I've submitted the update to RHDN as well, though it may take some time for them to approve it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 03:32:16 pm by Lady Jessica »

Prock78

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 03:50:40 pm »
Thanks a lots Lady Jessica!
I played this game a lot on SNES 25 years ago (or even more), I'm glad to be able to try this PlayStation remake now! :thumbsup: :)

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 07:19:51 am »
Kudos to you for doing some Koei stuff.  :thumbsup: