News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Resident Evil: True Director's Cut  (Read 11684 times)

lilpuddy31

• View Profile
Re: Resident Evil: True Director's Cut
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2021, 04:10:17 pm »
Hey Deli, may I make a suggestion of restoring the DC-DS credits and it's music? Just until you're able to implement the original's version...

You are doing a God's work my friend

NYI

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 pm »
A weird bug that i've found:

When playing with Retroarch, the game hangs on the stairs/door transition whenever you go the section with the restored bloody message, on patch version 0.3. But! The funny thing is, it is only happening on Beetle PSX core.  Previous versions of the patch worked absolutely fine. :huh:

Said section works with the PCSX-Rearmed core, Duckstation (standalone april 04 Preview build), and pSX (1.14). As Beetle PSX HW is allegedly the most accurate of the emulators, it could be worth investigating if someone with the possibility of testing on real hardware can confirm that specific room working on patch 0.3 (Xstation, PSIO, burned disc), i would love to test it and report back, but both my PS1 consoles have dead lasers, and my PS2 Slim is emulation anyway.

I switched to Duckstation in the meanwhile so no big deal (pretty awesome emulator, btw). Totally enjoying my deserved unlimited Rocket Launcher run.  :crazy:

I can confirm this bug on a Playstation with PSIO (original RE soundtrack version, v0.3). Was in the East 1F stairs hallway, tried to go up the stairs to the room with the message on 2F, freezes at beginning of stairs transition. Also tried entering this hallway from the botany library.

Also, Deli, thank you for working on this! I love being able to play with the original OST, with the convenience of Dual Shock support.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 12:33:31 am by NYI »

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2021, 03:56:13 am »
Damn, that's a lot of information. I love all these minute and trivial differences. For most of them, I'll probably require much more experience

I found something that might help for the kicked zombie heads that disappear. Something I noticed while playing the beta "January 31 sample version". As you can see on this screenshot, Jill kicked the head but it's nowhere to be found:
https://i.imgur.com/Mh8RXR0.png

However, if you look into the mirror, you can see the head there, it's a bit hard to make out but it's DEFINITELY the head :
https://i.imgur.com/ZVdwMTR.png

You may also notice that the zombie blood is missing in the mirror world.

This is just a guess but I think this is what happens here:
- another version of every single model is loaded a second time for the mirror effect
- while the real version of the zombie head disappears, the mirror version does not

This would support the theory that there is a piece of code that makes chopped off zombie parts disappear when they reach the end of their course and hit the ground, they would just have forgotten to do that for the mirrored ones also. Thus, it may be possible to disable this piece of code.

As for restoring the actors and voice actors credits, it's to you in the end, but personally I see a potential issue with that. In short: we don't know why some weren't properly credited, and maybe it was because they didn't want to be credited, we don't know that. What we see as homage we be something they don't want, but I guess it's also too late for that considering their names are probably linked to the game everywhere on the internet.

Deli295

• View Profile
Re: Resident Evil: True Director\\\'s Cut
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2021, 07:35:33 am »
Hey Deli, may I make a suggestion of restoring the DC-DS credits and it's music? Just until you're able to implement the original's version...

You are doing a God's work my friend

I'm glad to hear you like my mod. But I'm not sure what you mean. There are two versions of the patch out: one with the Original OST and one with the DualShock one.

April 06, 2021, 07:38:50 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
A weird bug that i've found:

When playing with Retroarch, the game hangs on the stairs/door transition whenever you go the section with the restored bloody message, on patch version 0.3. But! The funny thing is, it is only happening on Beetle PSX core.  Previous versions of the patch worked absolutely fine. :huh:

Said section works with the PCSX-Rearmed core, Duckstation (standalone april 04 Preview build), and pSX (1.14). As Beetle PSX HW is allegedly the most accurate of the emulators, it could be worth investigating if someone with the possibility of testing on real hardware can confirm that specific room working on patch 0.3 (Xstation, PSIO, burned disc), i would love to test it and report back, but both my PS1 consoles have dead lasers, and my PS2 Slim is emulation anyway.

I switched to Duckstation in the meanwhile so no big deal (pretty awesome emulator, btw). Totally enjoying my deserved unlimited Rocket Launcher run.  :crazy:

Thanks for spotting this out. I'll fix it when I have some spare time. In the meantime, I'll make the older patch available.

April 06, 2021, 08:27:01 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
This would support the theory that there is a piece of code that makes chopped off zombie parts disappear when they reach the end of their course and hit the ground, they would just have forgotten to do that for the mirrored ones also. Thus, it may be possible to disable this piece of code.
Let's pray to the Resident Evil gods that's the case. I'll try to see if I can find any of this in the executable.

As for restoring the actors and voice actors credits, it's to you in the end, but personally I see a potential issue with that. In short: we don't know why some weren't properly credited, and maybe it was because they didn't want to be credited, we don't know that. What we see as homage we be something they don't want, but I guess it's also too late for that considering their names are probably linked to the game everywhere on the internet.
Yeah, idk. In any case, we don't have Jill's actress's name yet.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 08:27:01 am by Deli295 »

NYI

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2021, 10:52:49 am »
Thanks for spotting this out. I'll fix it when I have some spare time. In the meantime, I'll make the older patch available.

Deli, thanks for looking into this - my comment above may have only been recently approved/become visible because I am a new member but just in case it was missed this problem occurs on original Playstation hardware as well, tested with PSIO.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2021, 05:03:19 pm »
I can confirm this bug on a Playstation with PSIO (original RE soundtrack version, v0.3). Was in the East 1F stairs hallway, tried to go up the stairs to the room with the message on 2F, freezes at beginning of stairs transition. Also tried entering this hallway from the botany library.
Thanks for confirming my theory. At least it could be fixed in the future.  :thumbsup:

That's kinda non-sensical as the work being done here is already hacking, there's nothing legal about modding a commercial game and incorporating gore, deleted assets, and a soundtrack that does not correspond to that version of the game, having the wrong guy credited to it.  :laugh:

ALL of the actors/actresses were already found and interviewed publicly by fans and youtubers alike 20 years later, with some of them surprisingly glad to see the footage for the first time and confirming their involvement with Biohazard (i posted the links to said written interviews). They are EVEN credited in the most important online movie database, it's not like there is a moral issue properly crediting people in this awesome restoration patch. The only exception that could be done would be Inezh, as she seems to be incorrectly linked to Una Kavanagh, confirmed by Una itself.

Not even in a parallel world will any of the cast sue or get mad because of someone else crediting them in fan patch.

Resident Evil: Finding Inezh, Jill Valentine's Actress - Gaming Mysteries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D22Ao21Ya6k

Resident Evil: Rebecca's Actress Found - Gaming Mysteries (Linda X)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAY5KmttAng

Chris Redfield's Original Resident Evil Actors Found - Gaming Mysteries (Charlie Kraslavsky)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGHRYU3sHeU

Barry Burton's Resident Evil 1 Actors Found! - Tales From the Internet (Greg Smith)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tunJ1Z0_peU
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 06:04:48 pm by niuus »

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2021, 07:31:33 pm »
I gave it a bit of a spin and I love this hack, I played RE to death back in 1996 and the changes are really really cool! I'm pretty confident that this would be possible to play on the Playstation Classic. :D  :cookie:

Deli295

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2021, 08:55:16 pm »
Deli, thanks for looking into this - my comment above may have only been recently approved/become visible because I am a new member but just in case it was missed this problem occurs on original Playstation hardware as well, tested with PSIO.
Sorry, I completely ignored you here, but I did read your comment and added a note in the Readme file. Thanks for helping too.

lilpuddy31

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2021, 05:29:36 am »
I'm glad to hear you like my mod. But I'm not sure what you mean. There are two versions of the patch out: one with the Original OST and one with the DualShock one.

Yea I am aware and I should have been more specific. I was referring to the Original OST patch, just putting the DS credits music back in until you're able to get the credits and it's music back to the Original...

Also, might I suggest a version of your patch that has all the Japanese music inserted?

Last thing, on my latest playthrough, I was using evilresource.com for their maps, and noticed in the main laboratory (where you fight Tyrant for the first time) that there is a clip available only in the PC version. Will you be adding that as well? Not a big deal at all, especially with the handgun being next to useless so late in the game.

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2021, 06:10:00 am »
Will you be adding that as well? Not a big deal at all, especially with the handgun being next to useless so late in the game.

Actually, it only takes 12 Beretta bullets to "kill" the Tyrant in the lab, at least in the Japanese version, meaning that this clip is more than enough to dispose of him. I think it's between 15 and 18 in the western versions.

Anyway this item placement is a liberty from the devs of the PC port as it's nowhere to be found in any other versions, not even the beta version. In a way it makes sense because most bosses have a "plan B" available, but the Tyrant in the lab doesn't, except for this clip in the PC version. Although that makes the Tyrant even less of a threat then he is.

Deli295

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2021, 06:57:27 am »
Yea I am aware and I should have been more specific. I was referring to the Original OST patch, just putting the DS credits music back in until you're able to get the credits and it's music back to the Original...

Also, might I suggest a version of your patch that has all the Japanese music inserted?

Hmm I don't think that tracks fits at all with the rest of the soundtrack. I much rather have Still Dawn + I won't let this end as a dream than the DS theme.

And yes, once I figure out how to restore the credits video, I'll make a version with the Japanese themes, and one with the International themes.

Last thing, on my latest playthrough, I was using evilresource.com for their maps, and noticed in the main laboratory (where you fight Tyrant for the first time) that there is a clip available only in the PC version. Will you be adding that as well? Not a big deal at all, especially with the handgun being next to useless so late in the game.

As for this, yeah I guess I can do that, but it's not a top priority right now.

MySaturationIsGlobal

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2021, 12:29:35 pm »
Let's pray to the Resident Evil gods that's the case. I'll try to see if I can find any of this in the executable.

Hey dude, first off I just want to say thanks for doing this project. So far it is great, and I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.

Second, the limbs that stay behind in the Saturn version do the same in the August 1995 beta. They either restored this for the port, or built off a slightly older code. Pre-Jan 96'

You might be able to find the code needed in the 95' beta executable and implement into final.

EDIT: Just checked. Also in the October 95' beta too.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:42:09 pm by MySaturationIsGlobal »

Deli295

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2021, 09:50:03 am »
Hey dude, first off I just want to say thanks for doing this project. So far it is great, and I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.

Second, the limbs that stay behind in the Saturn version do the same in the August 1995 beta. They either restored this for the port, or built off a slightly older code. Pre-Jan 96'

You might be able to find the code needed in the 95' beta executable and implement into final.

EDIT: Just checked. Also in the October 95' beta too.

Yes, Ness made me aware of that. In that case, it shouldn't be that hard to restore, but it will take me some time to find that code. Thanks!

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2021, 11:08:45 am »
Another awesome gore thing the beta versions have is the decapitated heads of the protagonists, you can see it on the TCRF page, I've been busy updating the TCRF pages (main game and betas) with everything in my power lately (although I've been struggling to view some of the files of the PS1 versions):

https://tcrf.net/Proto:Resident_Evil_(PlayStation)/October_4,_1995_(Sample_Ver._10/04)#Gore

Not only the head remains in the Hunter's hand, but the animation for Hunter looks to be the same as in the final version (I haven't verified this but it didn't seem to be different). So this may or may not be able to be restored as well, if one wants to. Arguably the head looks silly especially because there is no blood coming out of it, so restoring it as is may not look good.

BTW - on the subject of keys that are invisible in most versions, but visible in the Saturn versions, the textures for the models of the keys are present in the room's data which should mean that they were intended to be visible since, someone correct if I'm wrong, the model textures which are part of the rooms' .RDT files are meant for objects seen in the game world (vs the very same texture located in another folder for the inventory version of the same item).  So having them as such in the Saturn version would be considered a fix rather than a design change decision. I haven't yet checked but I'm ready to bet some of these invisible items are actually in the room just on the wrong coordinates, embedded in the background, but it's just a theory.
It's also worth noting that the crest in the cabinet of the armor room is invisible in the original Japanese PlayStation version, but visible in some other versions (and even half visible in one version!), so it looks like they had started to fix some of these invisible items.

MySaturationIsGlobal

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2021, 03:36:07 am »
@ness thanks for adding so much useful information to the TCRF pages. All these years and I'm still learning new things about the development process. It's so cool.

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2021, 08:11:25 am »
@ness thanks for adding so much useful information to the TCRF pages. All these years and I'm still learning new things about the development process. It's so cool.

No problem, it pissed me off that so little was documented... but there is a lot to be done. I don't intend to hi-jack this thread, but it's just that there is a LOT to learn from proto/demo versions for potential fixes and improvements.

Here are a few that could be done:

https://i.imgur.com/Lx91tpU.png

In the Original and Director's Cut modes, the upstairs screen (third row) uses an earlier version of the blue door (earlier than the one found in the demo!) with a misplaced handle. How do I know it's earlier? Because beta versions have tons of misplaced door handle issues that got fixed along the way. Anyway, as you can see from the other side of the door on the first row, in the final version this door shouldn't even have this handle at all! In the Arrange Mode, it should, however they forgot to update the other side of the door as well (first row).
So that makes:
- get rid of door handle decorations on the upstairs screen for the Original mode
- fix the position of the door handle on the upstairs screen for the Arrange Mode (easily done by taking the Demo version of this screen)
- add the door handle on the other side of the door for Arrange Mode. This may be harder to fix if the Arrange Mode uses the same background of the original for this room.

And here is another wrong background in Arrange Mode:

https://i.imgur.com/ASko2yv.png

They forgot to update the staircase on the upstairs screen. This may also be hard to fix if Arrange Mode doesn't have its own background data for this room.
Also, there may be similar discrepencies in Arrange Mode in other rooms. I haven't checked yet.

Ideally one should also change the door animation texture so that it matches with the proper handle in Arrange Mode, but I don't know how feasible it is to add an entirely new door anim and have it play.

Edit: BTW it could also be nice to restore the statues puzzle in the armor room to how it was in the Trial version, if possible only in Arrange mode.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:11:40 am by Ness »

becca_stars

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2021, 08:38:03 pm »
Wow! This project is amazing and very appreciated! :)

I've always wondered what it would take to add Trevor's Notes back into the game. The text for them were present (but inaccessible) even through the 15 minute Japanese demo but Mikami had them removed. Project Umbrella has a great page and their own translations available: http://projectumbrella.net/articles/Trevors-Notes

If you decided you wanted them in the patch and PU wouldn't want to grant their translations, I could do my own any time.

Deli295

• View Profile
Re: Resident Evil: True Director\'s Cut
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2021, 10:55:45 am »
No problem, it pissed me off that so little was documented... but there is a lot to be done. I don't intend to hi-jack this thread, but it's just that there is a LOT to learn from proto/demo versions for potential fixes and improvements.

Here are a few that could be done:

https://i.imgur.com/Lx91tpU.png

In the Original and Director's Cut modes, the upstairs screen (third row) uses an earlier version of the blue door (earlier than the one found in the demo!) with a misplaced handle. How do I know it's earlier? Because beta versions have tons of misplaced door handle issues that got fixed along the way. Anyway, as you can see from the other side of the door on the first row, in the final version this door shouldn't even have this handle at all! In the Arrange Mode, it should, however they forgot to update the other side of the door as well (first row).
So that makes:
- get rid of door handle decorations on the upstairs screen for the Original mode
- fix the position of the door handle on the upstairs screen for the Arrange Mode (easily done by taking the Demo version of this screen)
- add the door handle on the other side of the door for Arrange Mode. This may be harder to fix if the Arrange Mode uses the same background of the original for this room.

And here is another wrong background in Arrange Mode:

https://i.imgur.com/ASko2yv.png

They forgot to update the staircase on the upstairs screen. This may also be hard to fix if Arrange Mode doesn't have its own background data for this room.
Also, there may be similar discrepencies in Arrange Mode in other rooms. I haven't checked yet.

Ideally one should also change the door animation texture so that it matches with the proper handle in Arrange Mode, but I don't know how feasible it is to add an entirely new door anim and have it play.

Edit: BTW it could also be nice to restore the statues puzzle in the armor room to how it was in the Trial version, if possible only in Arrange mode.

I've tried using BSSM to edit the blue door from the final version into the demo version, but it puts an ugly green tint on it, so that's why I decided to keep the demo door.
As for the Arrange different angles, it's a matter of checking if BSS files (the backgrounds) exist for those scenarios in the STAGEX folders. Afaik stages 1-7 are Beginner and Original modes, and 8-E are for Arrange. If you can't find a BSS in the Arrange folders, it's likely that it's reusing the ones from Original mode. I hope I explained myself.

April 12, 2021, 11:02:23 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Wow! This project is amazing and very appreciated! :)

I've always wondered what it would take to add Trevor's Notes back into the game. The text for them were present (but inaccessible) even through the 15 minute Japanese demo but Mikami had them removed. Project Umbrella has a great page and their own translations available: http://projectumbrella.net/articles/Trevors-Notes

If you decided you wanted them in the patch and PU wouldn't want to grant their translations, I could do my own any time.

I've considered this as well, but I don't know where to even start, or if it's even possible. I'm pretty sure I cannot add more files to the game itself, so I'd have to reuse a file and enlarge it. Maybe if we add the text into FILEM.PIX (the large file that cointains all the text from the other memos in one single file) we could make it work. Then we would have to create a FILE3 and program it so that it contains those Trevor notes. So yeah, it'd certainly be an interesting idea, but I'm not sure I can carry it out anytime soon.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:02:23 am by Deli295 »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2021, 01:05:10 pm »
I think it would be best to start with your original idea and expand your scope once that's done.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

GManWillisX

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2021, 03:19:03 am »
I have an awesome suggestion for the next patch @Deli295?

So during the title screen movie, after Chris' cheesy scream and giant eye shot, RESIDENT EVIL comes into view, followed by a sort of bang sound that compliments the title before all goes quiet, right?

So there are two very different versions of that sound.
The lesser known one sounds way more badass, and menacing.

Compare these:

(PS1 Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZp9m41o67A&t=13s

(PC Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GgPDt1G8hw&t=36s

Can we please add the badass PC Version??? I've always wanted this on the PS! Lol

-GMAN

If you would like the actual title video ripped directly from the PC files, I got ya!
I also attached what I believe is the static title screen where you press start, and such.
It looks way better IMO, very original, without all the DualShock shit written all over it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/huzhq84l4n7kjmc/RESIDENT%20EVIL%20%28PC%29%20Raw%20Files.rar?dl=0
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 04:22:18 pm by GManWillisX »