News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Major confusion in adding/editing backgrounds in SMB1  (Read 1907 times)

AyumiShinto

• View Profile
Major confusion in adding/editing backgrounds in SMB1
« on: March 24, 2021, 10:56:45 am »
Lurked on and off for well over a decade and I can't even remember why I finally registered, but I guess it's time to post and ask a question that I can't seem to find online.

Been messing with and editing SMB1, but the one thing that I can't seem to figure out how to do is to add or edit the backgrounds. Found ways and editors to add new enemies and items, but not for backgrounds.

Here are a few fake images of what I'm trying to accomplish:

One thing that always bothered me, even as a child, was the fact that you always started in the middle of nowhere. I simply would like to add a castle at the beginning of the game. I'm not seeing a way to do this though. Thought this should be simple enough.

Finally, and once again castle related, is I would like to change the look of the castle itself. I know how to edit the sprites themselves, but I don't need the sprites edited. I simply would like to edit the tiles in this kind of formation to make it look more like a castle and less like 6 doors have been pasted onto the wall. Or at the very least remove the bottom halves of the middle 2 windows to make them not as similar as the doors.
Like this:

How exactly do I go about doing this?

cyxodus

• View Profile
Re: Major confusion in adding/editing backgrounds in SMB1
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 01:15:13 pm »
Have you thought of having him emerge from a warp pipe instead?

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 11:30:07 pm »
I'm not super familiar with SMB1, but I have a few notes. The big castle at the end seems to be a mix of a small castle sitting on another structure. That structure's construction code is at 13B1. There are 3 background types, made of 0x30 bytes each, defined at 12F7. Each byte sets a background part (cloud, tree, etc.) defined at 138A. I don't know if it's possible to set the castle as a background object. It could be that the castle is generated arbitrarily as part of some kind of "end object", but I'm not sure.

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 02:03:25 am »
Its possible, no idea about editing the castle itself though.

iridium_ionizer

• The universe is complicated. Get used to it.
    • View Profile
    • Iridium Ionizer's Retro Projects
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 02:13:33 am »
Did you try using this section of the hacking notes from the Data Crystal?
http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros.:Notes#Hacking_the_End-of-Level_Castles