News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Rogue-Like Router

Started by Sliver X, March 19, 2021, 12:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sliver X

I recently had a problem with an ASUS wireless router's port dropping to 100Mb at random. When I discovered I couldn't lock the port speed down using the factory firmware I looked for alternatives and discovered OpenWRT had a build for it.

After flashing it I realized it was just Linux under the hood, so I couldn't help but start tinkering with it. After adding a 32GB USB flash drive and moving the paltry 64MB of internal storage to it and creating a 1GB swap file to supplement the 128MB of RAM, the thought crossed my mind... Why not get some games running on it?

Using OpenWRT's excellent packaging system, I got GCC set up and hunted down the source code for Rogue and Zork. With minimal modification I got them to compile: they ran beautifully.

I tried to compile Nethack but I haven't had any luck yet. Amazingly, though, the binary for ARM off ADOM's page worked with zero effort at all.

This video shows how it works, compiling and playing Rogue and doing quick runs of Zork and ADOM. I'm tempted to actually package Rogue and Zork as legitimate OpenWRT packages but I doubt anyone else on earth but me would want to do this, lol.

Video Link

thr

that's cool, but yeah, there's not much point playing games over SSH on a router, because your client system is probably better suited for it anyway.
OpenWRT does not support all these tasty Asus-specific features. try AsusWRT-Merlin for the best of both worlds.

Sliver X

Quote from: thr on March 19, 2021, 04:15:33 AM
that's cool, but yeah, there's not much point playing games over SSH on a router, because your client system is probably better suited for it anyway.
OpenWRT does not support all these tasty Asus-specific features. try AsusWRT-Merlin for the best of both worlds.

It has zero practicality, but it was a fun, quick project just to see if I could compile a game on the unit itself and then play it.

Never heard of AsusWRT-Merlin: I may have to check that out, though the size and quality of OpenWRT's package repository is a serious plus in its favor.

Gideon Zhi

Quote from: Sliver X on March 19, 2021, 03:12:32 PM
It has zero practicality, but it was a fun, quick project just to see if I could compile a game on the unit itself and then play it.

Could be fun to get Legend of the Red Dragon running on a router in a larger org, so everyone in the org could join and play.

Jorpho

Gosh, do people still remember Legend of the Red Dragon? Haven't heard that mentioned in a long time. (I'm glad it gave me my online RPG-fix before those became seriously dangerous.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Sliver X

My first ISP was a dial-up BBS (It was Worldgroup Manger based) and ran LORD: I had a hell of a lot of fun with it until they dropped the BBS and went straight to PPP based direct connections.

It's been almost 25 years, and to be honest I don't remember much of it anymore. Now I need to see if there are any LORD servers running in this day and age.