News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Yearly Play-Thrus  (Read 1636 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Yearly Play-Thrus
« on: March 16, 2021, 11:33:56 am »
Do you have any games which you replay, every year, around the same time?

Off the top of my head, I can think of Symphony of the Night, which I replay every Halloween, and Final Fantasy VI, which I start a new game of at the first snowy day of each winter.

Idk, it's strange, it's like habit at this point. I think springtime tends to be Final Fantasy Tactics time. What about y'all?
Yamero~~!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Yearly Play-Thrus
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 11:39:44 am »
Nah, with the limited time I have available, I'd rather try to play through something new.

and Final Fantasy VI, which I start a new game of at the first snowy day of each winter.
Do you ever mix it up with improvement or retranslation hacks, or do you just stick with plain old vanilla FFVI?  The range of options for some of these games is intimidating.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 11:40:36 am »
Nah, with the limited time I have available, I'd rather try to play through something new.
Do you ever mix it up with improvement or retranslation hacks, or do you just stick with plain old vanilla FFVI?  The range of options for some of these games is intimidating.

Why'dyou think I made my own version of it

Edit: Sorry, to actually answer the question, yes, all the time, and also I learn things about the games each time I play thru them, regardless of what mods I use. It's actually crazy how deep the rabbit hole goes with these late-era 16 bit and 32 bit games.
Yamero~~!

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 10:25:17 am »
It's not tied to a specific time of year but I have a tendency to replay several old FPS games roughly every year for like two decades now:

Doom/Doom 2
Heretic
Quake
Blood

The fact that Blood has reverse-engineered "source ports" now has led to a renaissance of sorts in map/episode creation for it, so I've been playing a ton of it over the past two years. I also got really into the Quake mod Arcane Dimensions and maps made for it too.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 02:26:01 pm »
I pretty much only play unplayed games. There are so many well regarded and interesting looking games in my backlog, replaying games often feels like a waste of time. It's also fun to write short reviews or pros and cons for each "new" game and now I have a decent audience for my sites as well. With my methods I tend to experience all a game has to offer the first time around so it'll generally take at least a few years until I feel any need to revisit it.

Sometimes I'll play a modded older one though, or replay a more open-ended game with paths I didn't take before or at a higher difficulty. Mor MP focused games I might play more often, if there are people around to play them with.

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 11:04:07 am »
I used to do an ascension of Kingdom of Loathing every year but lack of challenge paths I was interested in + the allegations against the lead dev really made me lose interest.

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 03:23:28 pm »
I used to do an ascension of Kingdom of Loathing every year but lack of challenge paths I was interested in + the allegations against the lead dev really made me lose interest.
what allegations? [gossip mode on]

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 06:18:45 pm »
I'd rather not go into them here, they're from like 1 or 2 years ago now

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 07:41:01 pm »
you made me look, and i regret that i did. just some run-of-the-mill airing of dirty laundry by split couples. same old, same old. [gossip mode off]

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 09:36:43 pm »
I usually play Mutant League Football and one of the SNES Tecmo Bowls around the Super Bowl.  Also Looney Toons B-Ball in March, and a Ken Griffey Jr. game or two sometime during baseball season.

Other than that, Final Fantasy V and some kind of Pokemon game usually gets played through once a year.  Most of the time, something with Mario and/or Spyro in it too.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:45:06 pm by Chronosplit »