News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: new to hacks please recommend some  (Read 1883 times)

bum_199

• View Profile
new to hacks please recommend some
« on: March 16, 2021, 03:28:09 am »
like the subject says im new(ish) to rom hacks. i mean ive played them a while but not that many. the problem is there's so many hacks and even with google its hard to know whats worth playing. what are your favorites and some you've had the most fun with? or what were some of the best in your opinion or the funniest?

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
Re: new to hacks please recommend some
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 09:08:11 am »
like the subject says im new(ish) to rom hacks. i mean ive played them a while but not that many. the problem is there's so many hacks and even with google its hard to know whats worth playing. what are your favorites and some you've had the most fun with? or what were some of the best in your opinion or the funniest?

Super Mario Bros. 3 Mix is the best hack ever made. It's basically a whole new Mario game that uses the same engine as Mario 3, but it's a tribute to the classic and a few of the 3D Mario games. It's very well made and is worth giving a try.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 10:24:21 am »
like the subject says im new(ish) to rom hacks. i mean ive played them a while but not that many. the problem is there's so many hacks and even with google its hard to know whats worth playing.
What have you Googled? What have you played? What sort of games do you enjoy?

SNESDrunk has some lovely videos on the subject.
Best Super Nintendo Romhacks
Best NES Romhacks
Best SNES Improvement Patches
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

bum_199

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 10:39:54 am »
i've searched different terms in google and youtube mostly and am finding good info. im trying to find out what people like though because there seem to be so many hacks.  as far as what i like i like a wide variety of genres. im amazed how creative some people are with these and am just opening myself up to other peoples personal favorites.

Hemlock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 12:31:05 pm »
Any hack by Kaze Emanuar.

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 04:12:07 pm »

There are so many great ones. Here are a few I'd recommend:

If you are into Super Mario Kart you might want to check out these two recent hacks:

Super Mario Kart - Epic Racers

Super Baldy Kart

Ocarina of Time:

The Legend of Zelda: The Missing Link

Final Fantasy VI:

Brave New World

Super Mario Bros. 2

Super Mario Bros. 2 2nd Run

Legend of the Blob Bros. 2

Zelda 2

Zelda 2 Redux

Ultima: Exodus

Ultima: Exodus Remastered

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 09:42:08 pm »
If Super Mario World's on the table, anything by Gamma V's pretty much guaranteed to be fun.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 04:53:26 am »
If you like 16-bit RPGs, any translation of Japanese exclusives RPGs by Aeon Genesis (AGTP), dynamic designs, Nightcrawler, DDS translations, Tom, DEJap, KingMike, etc. is highly recommended.  All translations from these groups are solid and combined, they have made dozens and dozens of Japan-only RPGs playable to anyone who speaks English.  Also, the various groups whom have translated some of the Sega Genesis games.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 04:58:29 am by travel27 »

emyaqin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 11:31:45 am »
Try Final Fantasy III Maeson on NES and Breath of Fire improved on SNES. Oh, and also Final Fantasy Dawn of Sould Mod of Balance. Really, you should try it.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 07:48:50 pm »
Just check popular games like LttP, SMW, Metroid, Castlevania, and Mega man and download the ones that are best reviewed
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 04:38:52 pm »
Only one person has mentioned MegaMan, so I'll say this: if you like MegaMan,  Puresabe's Rockman 4 Minus Infinty. (Puresabe also made a hack of Kirby's Adventure, but the patch isn't here. Last I checked, it was incomplete.)

For Mario hacks, I would recommend The Rainbow Realms 1 + 2 for SMB 3.

For Metroid, Hyper Metroid is the best there is.

Dragoon X Omega is the best (and only) RPG hack I've played through. It's the closest a "reskin" can come to being a new game.
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 09:28:09 pm »
Only one person has mentioned MegaMan, so I'll say this: if you like MegaMan,  Puresabe's Rockman 4 Minus Infinty. (Puresabe also made a hack of Kirby's Adventure, but the patch isn't here. Last I checked, it was incomplete.)

For Mario hacks, I would recommend The Rainbow Realms 1 + 2 for SMB 3.

Do you know what the boss order for MM4 Minus Infinity is? I believe it is different than original MM4. I also enjoyed Rainbow Realms...
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Greatsword

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 06:00:31 pm »
Kaze Emanuar hacks and Aeon Genesis translations have already been mentioned, and those are spot on, in my opinion.

Hacks I've played and have really enjoyed:

Super Metroid

Ice Metal 1: Uninstall <- Fun and challenging, and about on par with the original game in terms of difficulty.
New Zebes <- I haven't beaten this one yet, and it comes with different patches for different difficulty levels. Even the so-called "Easy Mode" patch feels kind of bonkers at times. It's a really good hack, but it's geared more toward players that have played the original game many times, and know a lot of the intermediate-level tricks.

Ocarina of Time

Legend of Zelda: The Missing Link was mentioned earlier, and I agree, it's good.
Star Fox 64: Survival <- It's Fox, stranded on a large asteroid, surviving for a month while hacking away at Zelda enemies. Looks like it recently got reworked, too.
Ocarina of Time Redux <- More of a customization tool for the original, but it's pretty cool.

Nokia3310

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 12:28:37 pm »
If Super Mario World's on the table, anything by Gamma V's pretty much guaranteed to be fun.

Agreed. Scroll down on the page below and you will find her hacks on SMW Central. I'd recommend these but all her hacks are brilliant.

Mario & Luigi: Starlight Island Adventure
Mario is Missing! Done Right
Super Mario Land 3: Tatanga's Return

https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=submissions&user=13617

Unlike other hackers in the SMW Central community, she makes great hacks that could pass for legit Mario sequels. Same kind of difficulty curve, no big storylines, nice new graphics and music.